Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lafayette IN: A/H1N1 changes at local Catholic churches

Source: http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/local_w...hurch_20090628

The World Health Organizations warning of an H1N1 pandemic prompted the Lafayette diocese to make changes at local Catholic churches.

H1N1 prompts changes in
    Catholic church
    No more hand holding, kissing, wine
    cup

Updated: Sunday, 28 Jun 2009, 5:14 PM EDT
    Published : Sunday, 28 Jun 2009, 5:14 PM EDT

* Renetta DuBose

LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Changes put in place by the Lafayette diocese come after the World Health Organization warned of the dangers surrounding the H1N1 pandemic.

Church is typically where you love on your neighbor with a hug or a kiss, but a few recent changes in the order of service at St. Mary Cathedral, in Lafayette, has some, like Kelly Jacobs, left with a void.

"It was a little shocking. I didn't realize it was as serious as it was, so. It was a little disheartening, but I knew that we needed to keep everybody safe," Jacobs, of West Lafayette, said.

Due to H1N1, the Lafayette diocese postponed the Kiss of Peace, eliminating hand shaking. During the Lord's Prayer, there is to be no hand holding. The common cup of wine during communion is now gone and parishioners cannot receive communion on their tongue, only in their hand. Outreach coordinator Helen Hession said the move is a proactive one.

"Within the last month the diocese, as a whole, has decided that it would be best with the current situation, that we make these changes for the health of everyone here in the community," Hession said.

Now that portions of Mass have been cut, the service is a little shorter, but lifelong member Nic Schrader said he knows there's something missing.

"You have these points in mass where you're supposed to do things and it's just you're used to doing it and it just gets cut off. You're like wait, where'd that point go? Weren't we supposed to do something there? Overall, it's not a huge deal, but it's definitely different," said Schrader.

Usher Gene King feels health officials reacted too seriously. He said family members should at least be able to hold hands at church.

"I think the World Health Organization's kind of jumping the gun on the whole thing. Six cases in Tippecanoe County, as far as I'm concerned, that's not an epidemic," said King.

"We all come for a common purpose and that's praising God, so we still celebrate the liturgy," Hession said.

Hession added that the church would return to its normal operation once the H1N1 pandemic was over.
Working...
X