Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four deaths in Mudon Town spark fears of H1N1 (dengue more likely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four deaths in Mudon Town spark fears of H1N1 (dengue more likely)

I thought I had posted the first of these two articles here somewhere, but I can't find it. The second article is new and suggests these deaths might be due to dengue.

Four deaths in Mon State spreads fear of Swine Flu
    Wed 08 Jul 2009, Rai Maraoh, Mon Son, IMNA
    Four people have died over the last two weeks in Mudon Town, Mon State. Residents fear the cause was A/H1N1, commonly known as Swine Flu.

Two grade (10) standard students died from high school No.(1), along with another student from grade (5) standard and also a teacher.

A grade (10) student from the same high school told IMNA, ?I am afraid the A/H1N1 disease will spread to me. Even though we didn?t know exactly what kind of disease the students and teacher died from, this disease is not like other diseases. If you suffer [from it] you can die immediately.?

The student added that the Mon State health department came to their school and provided a training on how students and faculty could protect themselves from the disease and identify the symptoms. The health department did these trainings in many Mon State schools during the month of June.

A speech from the Mudon school?s principal was paraphrased to IMNA by one of the student?s family members: ?the students and a teacher got seriously sick [in the course of] two days and were sent to Moulmein hospital, and died there. Before they died, the victims showed symptoms of A/H1N1 disease. They had high temperatures, headaches, and their whole bodies hurt.?

The principal added that the hospital in Moulmein made no statement about the disease causing the four deaths, and that the families of the victims worry that the disease will spread.

A resident Mudon resident said that, ?we are afraid the A/H1N1 disease will spread; this disease is stronger than other diseases. If we get A/H1N1 disease, we will die at once. How can we protect [ourselves] from this disease? We just know a little information from other people talking.?

?After the students and a teacher died in Mudon, we are also worried this disease will spread into our school,? said a teacher from Thanbyuzayat. In May, two students in Thanbyuzayat Township also died, but nobody knew from what type of disease.

A breath of fresh air did however arrive from a Radio Free Asia report of a 13-year-old Rangoon girl who suffered from A/H1N1 but recovered and will soon leave the hospital.

--------------------------------------

Child fever victims swamp hospital
    Sat 11 Jul 2009, IMNA, Panorkkyar
    Starting in July the number of children infected with Dengue fever has increased, swamping the children?s hospital in Moulmein Township.

The American Missionary Hospital in Moulmein, which specializes in treating children, has been receiving cases daily, but was overwhelmed at the beginning of July with the number of children who have caught Dengue fever. The American Missionary Hospital, built directly after the conclusion of World War II, has 4 halls and 10 beds in each hall.

According to the World Health Organization, Dengue is a mosquito -borne infection that causes an intense flu-like illness, and can be potentially lethal if complications occur. There is no specific treatment for dengue, but immediate medical care can save the lives of patients before the condition worsens.

?According to our list, about 130 children are being treated in the hospital per day,? said a doctor at the hospital. ?Some are recovering and some are still coming to the hospital everyday.? According to the doctor there have been no deaths yet from Dengue fever.

Most of the infected children have come from Paung, Mudon, Thanphyuzayat and Kyainnseikyi townships. While the majority of the children are hospitalized for Dengue, some are also being treated for TB (tuberculosis), diarrhea, cholera and asthma.

?I have a 1 year old child that was sick at home 1 day and I was worried so I took him to the hospital,? said a parent whose baby was diagnosed with Dengue fever. ?The doctor found that he had Dengue fever and kept him there for 1 week ? I was very scared during that time.?

Swamped from the increased patient load of Dengue infections, the hospital has been forced to house 3 children to a bed according to a Moulmein resident who went to the hospital yesterday. The hospital is running 24 hrs with 2 shifts, one doctor in the morning and another at night.

?Many children are crowded into the hospital, and most are suffering from fever and also from colds,? a Moulmein resident explained.

Children have not been the only victims of fever. Fever cases have been widely reported throughout Mon state this year. Earlier this week 3 students and 1 teacher died from an unidentified fever, on which officials from the government and hospital have yet to comment.

Re: Four deaths in Mudon Town spark fears of H1N1 (dengue more likely)

Given that is an area where Dengue is probably likely, it would be important to do tests on some portion of the cases to make sure something is not being missed, given that there is a history of misdiagnosing influenza as Dengue.
    Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Attempting to blog an nascent pandemic: Diary of a Flu Year

Comment

Working...
    X