ECDC updates - World 114,843/670 - Europe 15,890/32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECDC updates - World 114,843/670 - Europe 15,890/32

[Failing no more WHO updates, I hope to rely on some accuracy from ECDC updates for a while, until countries stop feeding the machines numbers crunchers. Let me take this opportunity to thank ECDC for the excellent work produced. Please feel free to reproduce and/or translate my abstract below in all useful languages]

Full report is here.

Today, 17 July 2009, at 17h00 CEST, ECDC reports the following main points:

• 1231 new cases and 16 new deaths confirmed and reported from the EU and EFTA countries --> [Total = 15,890 cases and 32 deaths;]

• 1,229 new cases reported from non-EU and EFTA countries, reaching a total of 114,843 --> [Total = 114,843 cases and 670 deaths;]

• UK HPA reported ILI consultation rates exceeding normal seasonal activity --> [and are above the peak activity reached during the winter 2008/2009 season. Children and adolescents are predominantly affected.];

• WHO published new surveillance requirements --> [and will no longer issue global tables of confirmed cases; but are requesting reports of first confirmed cases, and indicators for pandemic progression similar to those used in seasonal influenza cases];

• Vaccine availability issues were discussed in the media --> [Baxter international inc. will not be able to take more orders for the pandemic influenza vaccine after receiving orders for 80M doses from five countries including Ireland, UK and New Zealand. Media sources also discussed vaccine availability issues and the potential for trade conflicts.].
Working...
X