• Show
Clear All

• Allen County records 1st H1N1 fatality

Source: http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...WS06/310319986

County records 1st H1N1 fatality
    Middle-age woman not at highest risk
    Amanda Iacone
    The Journal Gazette

The H1N1 virus has claimed its first victim in Allen County.

A middle-aged woman died this week of flu-related illness, the Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health announced Friday. Laboratory testing confirmed she had the H1N1 virus, which is also known as swine flu.

Health officials declined to release her age. And although she did seek treatment at a hospital, it was unknown how long she had been sick.

Department spokesman John Silcox does not believe the Allen County resident was considered among the high-risk groups who are most susceptible to serious complications related to the flu.

State, local and national health officials have focused vaccination efforts on children, pregnant women and adults with chronic health conditions because they are more at risk for serious complications. But that doesn?t mean the general population isn?t vulnerable as well, Silcox said.

?We know that all of us could be vulnerable at any time,? he said.

Allen County Health Commissioner Dr. Deborah McMahan extended her sympathies to the woman?s family. ?This death is a reminder than H1N1 flu, just like seasonal influenza, can be a life-threatening disease,? she said in a written statement.

Ten other people across Indiana have died since June as a result of H1N1. In comparison, 700 to 800 people die a year of the seasonal flu in Indiana ? most are elderly or very young, state health officials have said.

Because the county doesn?t have enough vaccine for everyone who needs or wants it, residents should take steps to protect themselves. Avoid people who are sick, stay home if you are sick, cover your cough and wash your hands, Silcox said.

?Those are still the best ways we can prevent the spread of the virus,? he said.

The county continues to schedule clinics to distribute vaccine to the public.

But Friday, the county invited health care workers and volunteers to a special clinic.

And next week Three Rivers Ambulance Authority will receive doses of the vaccine to protect its paramedic staff, Silcox said.

County health officials estimate that there are 20,000 health care and emergency medical staffers working in the county. But not all of them have direct contact with patients and might not need to be vaccinated.

The county has sent vaccine to area doctors? offices and hospitals to vaccinate staff and at-risk patients. But not all workers have been able to get the vaccine, Silcox said.

Two clinics for the public are set for Monday and Tuesday at Carew Medical Park.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: Allen County records 1st H1N1 fatality

Source: http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pb...NEWS/910310333

First H1N1 death in Allen County
    Middle-aged woman was not in age range targeted by officials.

An Allen County woman's death from H1N1 this week is the first in the county.

Laboratory tests confirmed Friday that the middle-aged woman died of the flu virus, according to a news release from the Allen County Health Department.

Health Department spokesman John Silcox did not have any more information about the woman and did not know if she had existing health conditions.

?It's certainly unfortunate. A death is a significant loss with a family and a community,? he said.

This is the 12th confirmed H1N1 death in Indiana since June and the first in Allen County.

With the rapid spread of H1N1 in the area, health officials have largely been targeting children, young adults and pregnant women, but not middle-aged people. Silcox said that was a standard set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

He said even though the vaccine has not yet been made available on a large scale, everyone needs to take precautions against the virus.

?We want people to be aware that the flu is a serious illness,? he said. ?(A death is) certainly unfortunate, and we would encourage everyone to take all precautions to prevent the spread of the flu.?

The health department will again offer the H1N1 vaccine Monday and Tuesday at Carew Medical Park to pregnant women, caregivers of children under age 6 months, and those 6 months through 18 years. The seasonal flu vaccine is no longer available.

More than 9,200 people have been vaccinated for H1N1 flu since the clinic opened Oct. 9. The vaccine is free, according to a release.

Comment

Re: Allen County records 1st H1N1 fatality

The first article has 10 + 1 deaths and the second has 12 deaths. (ok, the second article may be including the person from Hamilton Co.)
      I'm missing some from my list:

Spring: 38yo female from Lake County
      July 5: 19yo Matthew McIntosh
      July 29: 26yo Mindy McIntosh of Dillsboro, Dearborn County
      July 31: 50yo Elkhart County man died at Elkhart General Hospital
      Oct 8: 11yo Mercedes Lewis from South Bend
      Oct 16: Tippecanoe County
      Oct 16: Morgan County
      Oct 16: No county given
      Oct 30: Woman from Allen County (Ft Wayne area)
      Oct 30: Hamilton County
      Oct 31: Greene County (stated as being the 13th death)
      Last edited by mixin; October 31, 2009, 11:20 AM. Reason: to update my information
      The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Working...
      X