• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 flu suspected in nurse?s death

Source: http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...WS07/911029972

H1N1 flu suspected in nurse’s death
    Associated Press

EVANSVILLE – An Evansville hospital is awaiting tests to confirm whether a southwest Indiana nurse who died was ill with swine flu.

Fifty-three-year-old Danna Fortune of Boonville died Friday at St. Mary’s Medical Center, more than a week after being admitted with flu-like symptoms.

Hospital spokesman Rick Peltier told the Evansville Courier & Press there are no indications Fortune had been in contact with any patients hospitalized with the H1N1 influenza.

She was a nurse in the hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit.

A middle-aged woman died last week of flu-related illness in Allen County, the Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health announced Friday. Laboratory testing confirmed she had the H1N1 virus, making that the first confirmed death in the county related to the influenza strain. Her identity was not released.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: H1N1 flu suspected in nurse?s death

Source: http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=11429303

Hospitals review H1N1 policies after death
    Updated: Nov 02, 2009 6:52 PM EST

By Gretchen Ross - bio | email | Twitter
    Posted by Sarah Harlan - email

TRI-STATE (WFIE) - Area hospitals are reviewing their policies on administering H1N1 vaccinations after a nurse died Friday.

Saint Mary's officials said test results to see if newborn intensive care unit nurse Danna Fortune contracted H1N1 will be back sometime this week.

Fortune's family members declined to talk on camera but said she did not get an H1N1 vaccine, but not because she didn't want to.

They said she went to get her vaccine a few weeks ago and was told none was available at the time.

"Unfortunate circumstances right now," Rick Peltier with Saint Mary's Medical Center said. "The demand is greater than the supply. We are at the mercy of how much supply, how much shipment the Vanderburgh County Health Department gets in, and of course they advise us on how that is to be distributed."

Peltier said right now around 800 nurses and staff who interact with high-risk patients have received the vaccine.

Fortune's family said Saint Mary's ran out of vaccine before Danna could get one.

Over a week ago they said Danna developed a sore throat and stayed home from her nursing job in the NICU.

She was given cough medicine early last week from her doctor's office.

When that didn't help, Fortune's family said she was admitted to Saint Mary's and was diagnosed with double lung pneumonia.

Peltier said there is nothing to suggest Fortune was around anyone with swine flu while working.

"Any baby we thought to be at risk for H1N1 was given a test," Peltier said. "All those tests came back negative. The second thing to note is the babies were not tested as a result of Danna Fortune."

Right now the hospital is sticking to its policy that the vaccine is encouraged but ultimately the decision is left up to the employee.

"It is strongly recommended but not mandatory," Vickie Solis with Saint Mary's Medical Center said. "All the managers and directors are encouraging all employees who want the vaccine to receive it."

Deaconess Hospital officials would like to make the vaccine mandatory for its nursing staff but can't since the supply is too low right now.

"There are some employees who cannot take the vaccine because they are allergic to the egg media the vaccine is in," Mellodee Montgomery with Deaconess Hospital said. "They could be allergic to the preservative in the vaccine."

Right now, Saint Mary's has reported four cases of H1N1 to the Vanderburgh County Health Department.

Officials with Methodist Hospital in Henderson said they have only given out 91 vaccines to staff and high-risk patient groups.

The vaccine is not mandatory for employees at Methodist but highly recommended.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Working...
    X