X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 swine flu deaths push Indiana's total to 19

9 swine flu deaths push Indiana's total to 19
    The Associated Press ? November 5, 2009

Twitter INDIANAPOLIS ? Nine Indiana residents died last week from swine flu, a surge that has nearly doubled the state's swine flu fatalities to 19 since June, state health officials said Thursday.

During a weekly conference call with reporters, officials also said 13.1 percent of the people who sought treatment last week at Indiana doctor's offices had flu-like symptoms. That's the highest percentage seen in the 20 years that the state has been monitoring flu prevalence through a network of doctors.

The previous high of 10.9 percent occurred during the 1998-1999 season, when the flu strain did not match the type of vaccine available then.

Hospitalization rates for influenza and pneumonia have risen 41 percent over the past three weeks as the current swine flu outbreak continues.

But officials with the State Department of Health said there were some encouraging signs last week as well.

The number of people going to emergency rooms and university clinics with flu-like illnesses declined last week, and only nine schools reported having at least one day with absentee rates of 20 percent or higher. That's down from 39 the previous week.

"I really think it's premature to say that we are starting on a decline," said Pam Pontones, state epidemiologist for the health department. "I'd feel more comfortable saying that in a week or two if those same trends hold up."

Health officials said they do not know why there was a spike in swine flu deaths last week. They did say that of 332 samples of the flu they have tested over the past several weeks, 98 percent were the swine flu strain.

The state has ordered 666,000 doses of the swine vaccine so far, said state Health Commissioner Judy Monroe. Many of them have been received and the rest should arrive in the next few days. The state had initially expected to receive 900,000 doses by late October, but there have been nationwide delays in swine flu vaccine production.

Monroe said the state is expected to ultimately receive 4.5 million doses.

About 205,500 Indiana residents have received the vaccination so far, with most going to people in high-risk categories.

Fifty-two percent have gone to people ages 6 months to 24 years old; health care workers have received 29 percent; pregnant women have received 5 percent; people with chronic illnesses between the ages of 25 and 64 have received 5 percent; and guardians of children not yet 5 years old have received 3 percent.

The general population has only received 5 percent of the vaccines.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.
Working...
X