• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Reports 4 Deaths in Week 44

Source: http://www.in.gov/flu/2442.htm

Week 44 (November 1-7, 2009) Summary

Burden of Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) in the Community
    • While the percentage of ILI reported by the emergency department surveillance (ED) system has continued to decrease, the current rate (7.9%) remains considerably elevated above the seasonal peak experienced during the 2008/9 influenza season.
    • The percent of patients presenting at sentinel providers with ILI (11.3%) remained at a significantly high level.
    • Previous to this influenza season, the highest reported percent ILI (10.9%) occurred during the 1998/99 season. That year the influenza A Sydney (H3N2) strain was not included in the seasonal influenza vaccine. It became the dominant strain over the winter of 1998/99 and caused considerable amounts of illness.

Severity of Influenza-Like Illness and/or Pneumonia in the Community
    • The rate of ILI and/or pneumonia-related hospitalizations per 100 inpatient beds increased only by 2.0% compared to the weighted moving average from the previous three weeks.
    • There was a significant decrease in the hospitalization rate in persons 0?18 years of age, as it decreased by 21% compared to the weighted moving averaged from the previous three weeks.
    • 55% of reporting hospitals stated that the number of ILI-related hospitalizations is currently ?slightly elevated? or ?elevated? compared to previous years. This is compared to 74% during the previous reporting week.
    • 3% of hospitals (1/32) with ?slightly elevated? or ?elevated? burdens of ILI-related hospitalizations are reporting that they are having increased difficulty (4 or 5) with managing this patient population.
    • Four confirmed influenza-related deaths were reported during Week 44 (total of 24 since June 1, 2009).
    • Three were confirmed 2009 H1N1 deaths (total of 22 since June 1, 2009).

Effect of Influenza-like Illness on Populations at Risk
    • ILI-related absentee rates in health care personnel decreased by 15% compared to the weighted moving average from the previous three weeks.
    • 1.04 compared to 1.23 ILI-related absences per 100 employees.
    • During Week 44, 3 Indiana schools (K-12) reported having at least one day with a 20% or higher absenteeism rate.
    • A total of 89 schools have reported having at least one day (during any given week) with a 20% or higher absenteeism rate since September 14, 2009.

Laboratory and Vaccination Information
    • During Week 44, 100% (51/51) of specimens that were positive for influenza were 2009 H1N1.
    • Since September 1, 2009, 98% (376/383) of specimens that were positive for influenza were 2009 H1N1.
    • Other respiratory viruses are circulating in addition to influenza (identified during Week 44 ? Coxsackie B virus, Enterovirus NOS, Rhinovirus).
    • As of November 10, a total of 315,926 2009 H1N1 vaccinations had been given in Indiana.
    • Persons 6 months to 24 years of age have received 56% of the vaccinations.
    • 31% of the estimated number of health care and EMS workers in Indiana have received the 2009 H1N1 vaccine.
    • Only 16.4% of the estimated number of pregnant women in Indiana have received the 2009 H1N1 vaccine.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X