X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Dr. C.A. Nidom. Discussion Thread

Interview with Dr. C.A. Nidom

17 Jan 07

Confidence that government can afford to overcome the bird flu attacks has not been proven. Not one full week ago Welfare Coordinating Minister, Aburizal Bakrie, spoke about an annual report that at this time only 14 live provinces from 30 provinces in Indonesia that are infected with bird flu and displays bird flu spread back in Jakarta, Jawa Barat, and Tangerang.

This is based on data from the Agriculture Department, visibly just three provinces that are free from the virus, namely Maluku, Maluku Utara, and Gorontalo. Indonesia even noted that it broke records over Vietnam, where the aggregate number of sacrifices who died by avian flu virus between 2005-2007 was 59 people, when in Vietnam it was only 42 people, and in the years 2006-2007 there have not been any sacrifices who died in Vietnam.

Even more dreadful, an expert doctor of large domestic animals made the same claim that Jakarta society has the H5N1 virus. Straightaway what actions actually should done to decide to chain (stop?) the spreading of this bird flu virus?

Following this, Eramuslim discussed this case with bird flu observer and also a member Dr. of Molecular Biology at the University of Airlangga Surabaya, Dr. C.A Nidom, MS.

There is a chance that 70 percent of the people of Jakarta have the bird flu virus, so allegations have been made that the mass media is spreading this around town. Is this matter true? ('Have the bird flu virus, means have anti-bodies, IMHO ed.)

These allegations were issued after research and examinations were conducted on Jakarta society. I am confident that this is the same dangerous virus, consequently I mentioned no less than 70 percent. Data was obtained from facts I found all these years in the areas of Tangerang and Jakarta.

The first facts that came this way, happened to be a big bird flu case, occurring in the year 2003 to Tangerang chickens. I also discovered the first virus that infected pigs also in Tangerang, later it infected people. That direct cluster case in Iwan Iswara was also in Tangerang. Later for several months the infection continued.

Later in March, 2006, I conducted tests against a virus that came from Tangerang, that would indicate the presence of a pocket of virus contagion that is spread between humans.

Then from where do you make the conclusion of 70 percent?

The important figures are not here. I have said that I am sure that a profound part of the Jakarta population Jakarta as well as Tangerang has this virus, because my guess is that this virus has spread between people whose numbers reach 50 percent, so my calculations may be less than 70 percent. But these are the calculation figures.

These days officials from the Health Department do not want to conduct surveillance for those in Jakarta to prove that the incidents in Jakarta and the Tangerang are not only because of contagion from birds.

At this time the government still considers the flu contagion to be from bird from bird, while you have looked for the contagion being through cats. How effective are bird relocations in determining the spread of bird flu virus?

The problem of relocations if done a few months or years ago may have been effective. If the government still believes that bird flu is spread only from birds, they will conduct the relocation too late.

So that is not good. It is good, but not effective, because this virus has been in other domestic animals. This immediate move in no way solves the problem, but will even cause new problems.

New problems that will be brought up?

This bird relocation requires an endowment, it requires an idea from society and all that. Why are only non-commercial village chicken relocated when apparently this problem comes from commercial chickens? This causes friction that happens in acommunity. Least of all if examples of these relocation cases still happen, this indicates an adverse education in the community.

What bird flu vaccines have been administered by the government in 14 provinces to effectively solve the problem of bird flu? Has administration to birds such as that done by governments in 14 provinces effectively solved the problem of bird flu?

I see cases in people due to the bird flu virus, because it is significant that this virus not only comes directly from birds, but comes from other animals that are infected by birds. Just concerning humans, the problem is derived from bird sources, so from the beginning that must be resolved.

We from from the Domestic Animal Physician University of Airlangga have conducted investigations and research in December, 2006. And we have reported our findings to the Agriculture Department.

We recommend as the best method that we prefer proper commodious virus vaccines, because H5N2 and H5N9 have not left and still cause virus problems in chickens. Other favorable recommendations in deterring bird flu virus are with chicken virus infection.

According to you, at this time the research is based on what kinds of domestic animals that are suspect as being able to spread the bird flu virus, apart from cats and pigs?

Almost all domestic animals are spreading this virus. So in consideration, this virus was first in birds, lately it has successfully spread to pigs and cats, lately again it has successfully spread from domestic animals to half the humans.

Slowly this will succeed in spreading from human to human. This slowness is able to have consequences that are worse than previous ones.

How does one dispel worry about the community and neighborhood consumption of domestic chickens?

Virtually in a community humans and domestic animals cannot live in the same space. In principle, we are too late. It was passed at the end of 2005 and early 2006, so that immediately governments made allegations to communities to pen their chickens and relocate bird communities from humans. Foremost commercial chickens should have poultry industrial areas, and not be around society.

This was passed at the end of 2005. With such methods, cities such as Jakarta and Tangerang, if yearning to eat eggs, should not be able to keep chickens, or if they want chicken meat, they should have previously maintained chickens. And if a health program is created, this virus should not continue later. It is seen from controlling this virus that there is always a later virus. We should be in front of that.

Wherever the virus goes after this, it should be restrained. If a new one does relocate, this virus is far ahead. We have also made a fine simulation as though this virus has spread from human to human. We do a deterrent program in there, for example with localizations in districts where there are epidemics in people. In such a localized area where people cannot be moved from there, immediately supply them with food from outside such as that done in Vietnam. It should done ahead of time. If we are always at the back of the virus movement, surely we will miss.

Jakarta is from the three districts that have the bird flu endemics, so the ferocious virus is in Jakarta?

It has been determined that the provinces are Jakarta, Tangerang and Jawa Barat, but the provinces are actually just researched from human mobility. I did theorize that people who are in Jakarta will always have a chance of contracting this virus. Afterwards they will go to another district, arrive and meet with people from that area who are at a weak point.

Jakarta, Tangerang and Jawa Barat have the highest data in mobility, because there it is high enough, because we say that Jakarta and Tangerang are the epicenter of Indonesia's bird flu virus incidents. So the joke is "do not go to Jakarta."

From mapping it has also been seen that the greatest number of Family Cluster total incident cases are one third in the district, where the greatest majority of cats are in Jawa Barat. So the government should make another simulation. This could be done without government admitting that human to human contagion has happened, but a program will be more anticipatory.

If government announces that human to human contagion has happened, the apprehension it creates will be profound. It may be that Indonesia people will transfer out, or that foreign tourists do not come to Indonesia or leave.

But emphasizing this program, like the case of four people in Province X Subdistrict in isolation, where society cannot enter the district for a week, food is supplied from the outside, but they continue to be monitored, there is quick team movement for these individuals, because this mobile unit follows that travelling virus.

So what should government be doing these days?

Honesty, because all these years the government is seen as not being open in matters such as this. Saying that, it certainly is just not productive, do not conceal the virus data, because if it is not seen with one's eyes or by word of mouth that we are not lying, the virus is not able to lie.

One fresh day Welfare Minister Aburizal Bakri announced that there was a decrease from 30 to 14 provinces that were infected with bird flu, the next day an explosion happened, because what had been said was scarcely appropriate with the huge expansion.

Credits Influentia2 and thanks to History Lover for great editing and translating.
    ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Re: Interview with Dr. C.A. Nidom

I find this very hard to follow - a machine translation?

If this is true...

"The important figures are not here. I have said that I am sure that a profound part of the Jakarta population Jakarta as well as Tangerang has this virus, because my guess is that this virus has spread between people whose numbers reach 50 percent, so my calculations may be less than 70 percent. But these are the calculation figures."

...and 50% of the population has H5N1, where are the fatalities?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this virus is not like West Nile, where huge numbers get sore throats and nothing more, and a few become incredibly sick. With H5N1, and without prophylatic or very quick anti-viral treatment, a 60% CFR is the norm. If 50% of the population have it, should we not be hearing about a large number of deaths?

What have I misunderstood?

J.

Comment

Thanks to History Lover, Influentia2, and Dutchy.

I would like to see Dr. Nidom's paper or work on this subject so that we can analyze it for ourselves. Apparently? he has years of data, according to this translation.

Comment

According to you, at this time the research is based on what kinds of domestic animals that are suspect as being able to spread the bird flu virus, apart from cats and pigs?

Almost all domestic animals are spreading this virus. So in consideration, this virus was first in birds, lately it has successfully spread to pigs and cats, lately again it has successfully spread from domestic animals to half the humans.

Slowly this will succeed in spreading from human to human. This slowness is able to have consequences that are worse than previous ones.
        This was the part that I feel a lot of us suspected. The virus is not just being spread by pigs and cats, but as he says, all domestic animals. He notes that "lately" pigs and cats...and "lately again" successfully spread from domestic animals to half the humans.

The good news is the virulence has to be low.

Dr. Niman, can the virulence become greater?

Comment

I wish we could read the second part of this article. Is he referring to 70% of Jakarta population, or is he referring to 70% of testing done? If it is the former than maybe we have a mild form running around like they do in Egypt.

Comment

This article appears to be from January 2007.

Comment

Interview updated: see post # 1 .
              ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"

Comment

Originally posted by cartski View Post
                I find this very hard to follow - a machine translation?

If this is true...

"The important figures are not here. I have said that I am sure that a profound part of the Jakarta population Jakarta as well as Tangerang has this virus, because my guess is that this virus has spread between people whose numbers reach 50 percent, so my calculations may be less than 70 percent. But these are the calculation figures."

...and 50% of the population has H5N1, where are the fatalities?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this virus is not like West Nile, where huge numbers get sore throats and nothing more, and a few become incredibly sick. With H5N1, and without prophylatic or very quick anti-viral treatment, a 60% CFR is the norm. If 50% of the population have it, should we not be hearing about a large number of deaths?

What have I misunderstood?

J.
                Dr. Nidom told the same story before, several times, no sources at hand now.

My take is this: Nidom says he would not be surprised if between 50% and 70% of the people in Jakarta Region have anti-bodies in their blood. Not based on research, but an "educated guess".

Being no expert at all, I can imagine if you are infected with a low viral load, not enough to make you really ill, your body will make anti-bodies.

Next step could be - expertise needed here from the real experts - H5N1 could circulate in mammals like cats and dogs (having anti-bodies too?) and circulate in people?
                In this way the virus is slowly adapting to humans?

Nidom says: If a suspect cluster is found, the authorities should isolate the area, to prevent further H2H contamination.

Comment

Same as in Lockhnow in India and another men, an elderly in Vietnam, Dr. Niman knew this. The serum of those who had antibodies couldl be very helpfull.

Might be part of some discussions in the area now.

Snowy

Comment

Post from May 2006

Originally posted by niman View Post

Apart from discussing the handling of bird flu by DrH Esti M. K, the Bird Flu Seminar that was held by the Association of the Student ITS Biology, on Friday early afternoon (26/5) also asked the community and the government to change the paradigm towards the spread of bird flu that uptil now was believed in only through the poultry.

the Rectorate building, ITS Online - the Government has necessarily changed the paradigm that the spread of bird flu only happened through the poultry.

Because from several cases of bird flu casualties, both that died and that not, the indication of the spread from the poultry very minimal, said Dr drh C A Nidom Ms, the bird flu researcher from the University of Airlangga Surabaya, in the agenda of the Bird Flu seminar, on Friday (26/5).

Said by Nidom, the possibility of the spread of bird flu between the humankind was very big happened. Was based on the research that once the implementation since last March 2006, spesifitas the receptor alfa 26 available to humankind could spread between humankind.

Even so to the pig
                    that also had spesifitas the receptor that was the same as humankind.At this time I was testing spesifitas the receptor to the cat, he said.With this assumption, very possibly the case of bird flu that happened in Indonesia uptil now happened because of the spread factor between humankind.

Nevertheless, he suggested that the community did not too much panic. Because the mutation of the gene like that was the matter that very normal. Enabled, the virus H5N1 eventually will become was used to it to the human body.

And, pengidap the virus not always to the person who has been sick.But the person that was seen healthy then very possibly in his body has had the bird flu virus.

If being done by the inspection, I was convinced in Jakarta 60 through to 70 percent of the person there in his body has had the bird flu virus, he stressed.

Nidom afterwards stressed that the characteristics of the virus in the body really were easy to carry out the mutation and to be easy to adapt, including bird flu (Avian influenza/AI).

So as the mutation alfa 23 available to the poultry would bermutasi with alfa 26 to the non poultry.This influenza virus was the virus that had fregmentasi.

</PRE>

</PRE>

Comment

Nidom

In Indonesia, Chairul Nidom, a virologist at Airlangga University's tropical disease center in Surabaya, Java, was conducting independent research earlier this year.

He tested the blood of 10 apparently healthy pigs housed near poultry farms in western Java where avian flu had broken out, Nature reported. Five of the pig samples contained the H5N1 virus.

The Indonesian government has since found similar results in the same region, Nature reported.

Additional tests of 150 pigs outside the area were negative. However, the story said, lack of funding for surveillance and testing is a concern to Nidom, who said he has samples from 90 more pigs from Banten, but he can't afford to test them or to broaden his investigation.

Indonesia scientist says 1/5th of stray cats carry bird flu virus
                      Monday January 15, 3:54 PM

(Kyodo) - About 100 of 500 stray cats surveyed in Indonesia were carrying the H5N1 bird flu virus, a local scientist said Monday.

C.A. Nidom, who first reported that bird flu had entered Indonesia in 2003 but was ignored by the government, told Kyodo News the finding was based on his research funded by the Ministry of National Education and conducted on Java Island and in Lampung Province of Sumatra Island from September to December last year.

"I will bring the results of my research to the Institute of Medical Science of the University of Tokyo next month for further tests," he said by telephone from Saudi Arabia.

"I'm worried that the virus will be more easily transmitted to humans because the body temperature of mammals like cats is similar to that of humans," he added.

He took blood samples from cats living around wet markets that sell chickens and hospitals designated for bird flu patients in the East Java provincial capital Surabaya, the Central Java provincial capital Semarang, West Java's Bandung, Lampung's Bandarlampung, and Jakarta and its suburb Tangerang.

Nidom, a molecular biology expert at the state-run University of Airlangga, said the results were reported to the Health Ministry, but they have not been published and followed up on.

Comment

they searched for antibodies elsewhere, but didn't find them.
                        With 50% of people in Jakarta having antibodies, this
                        should be easy to test.

Doesn't make sense to me either
                        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Re: Interview with dr C.A. Nidom

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
                          Snip from an interview with dr C.A. Nidom from Indonesia:

There is a chance that 70 percent of the people of Jakarta have the bird flu virus, so allegations have been made that the mass media is spreading this around town. Is this matter true?

These allegations were issued after research and examinations were conducted on Jakarta society. I am confident that this is the same dangerous virus, consequently I mentioned no less than 70 percent. Data was obtained from facts I found all these years in the areas of Tangerang and Jakarta.

The first facts that came this way, happened to be a big bird flu case, occurring in the year 2003 to Tangerang chickens. I also discovered the first virus that infected pigs also in Tangerang, later it infected people. That direct cluster case in Iwan Iswara was also in Tangerang. Later for several months the infection continued.

Later in March, 2006, I conducted tests against a virus that came from Tangerang, that would indicate the presence of a pocket of virus contagion that is spread between humans.

More here: http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64982
                          Obvious it is impossible that H5N1 (as is known elsewhere) actually infected 70% of Jakarta inhabitants, otherwise deaths would be packed into mass-graves.
                          I think that one should read ''the chances a Jakartan has to catch H5N1 are around a certain percent''.
                          However, a reassortant strain may be. But it is not enough to declare numbers without viral isolation, characterization and sharing of the samples.
                          One may also argue that 70% refers to poultry populatoin: it is likely.
                          But if H5N1 with death rate of 80% - experienced so far in Indonesia - would have infected so many people... no people no interviews...

Comment

Re: Interview with dr C.A. Nidom

Originally posted by ironorehopper View Post
                            Obvious it is impossible that H5N1 (as is known elsewhere) actually infected 70% of Jakarta inhabitants, otherwise deaths would be packed into mass-grave
                            How about a mild strain circulating. After all there are cases of cats and pigs with antibodies.

Comment

Re: Interview with Dr. C.A. Nidom. Discussion Thread

Plain words, now we are the wild ducks.

The illness adapted herself into humans in a way it does in wild ducks -
                              the majority of ducks seems healthy, but they are asimptomatic carriers, and the illness does not harm them.
                              That is fitting in the Dr. Niman theory of not enaugh, and not adequate wild bird (humans here) testing (corroborated by the non-fitted wild birds kind of test - the poultry one).
                              Also, if that statement-situation is real, it will augment the sceptics of the serious (under 2&#37;CFR) pandemic possibility, because the illness (now) hosts are not 300-500, but many hundreds of milions of very mild illnessed (misguided for other illnesses source).

But, why than the remaining high 60-80% CFR in the recorded victims of H5N1?
                              An human genetic exclusive individuals link only?

Comment

Working...
                              X