• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total of 14 Deaths in Ontario

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...RfzndvNHZUvI8A

11 deaths associated with swine flu in Ontario; woman, 41, among new cases
    By THE CANADIAN PRESS ? 32 minutes ago

TORONTO ? Ontario is now reporting 11 deaths associated with the swine flu.

An 81-year-old Toronto woman and a 41-year-old Hamilton woman who had chronic health problems both tested positive for the virus.

Ministry of Health officials say the elderly woman had been in hospital in intensive care for some time.

Ontario now has more than 3,150 confirmed cases of H1N1 and 138 people have been hospitalized since the end of April.

The Public Health Agency of Canada website puts the national death toll associated with swine flu at 25 and the Ontario deaths reported today are in addition to that number.

Last week, the province changed the way it monitors and reports on swine flu, with the ministry updating both swine and seasonal flu activity across the province every Friday instead of daily.

The province says that will allow health officials to focus resources on enhanced surveillance and follow-up of severe cases and outbreaks.

Across Canada, there have been nearly 8,000 cases of the H1N1 since the outbreak began, and most have been mild.

Ontario reports an average of 9,000 cases of seasonal flu each year, and approximately 500 deaths.

Nationwide, the common flu sends about 20,000 Canadians to hospital each year. The Public Health Agency's website says between 4,000 and 8,000 Canadians can die of influenza and its complications annually, depending on the severity of the season
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: Total of 11 Deaths in Ontario

Originally posted by JimO View Post
    Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...RfzndvNHZUvI8A

11 deaths associated with swine flu in Ontario; woman, 41, among new cases
    By THE CANADIAN PRESS ? 32 minutes ago

TORONTO ? Ontario is now reporting 11 deaths associated with the swine flu.

An 81-year-old Toronto woman and a 41-year-old Hamilton woman who had chronic health problems both tested positive for the virus.

Ministry of Health officials say the elderly woman had been in hospital in intensive care for some time.

Ontario now has more than 3,150 confirmed cases of H1N1 and 138 people have been hospitalized since the end of April.

The Public Health Agency of Canada website puts the national death toll associated with swine flu at 25 and the Ontario deaths reported today are in addition to that number.

Last week, the province changed the way it monitors and reports on swine flu, with the ministry updating both swine and seasonal flu activity across the province every Friday instead of daily.

The province says that will allow health officials to focus resources on enhanced surveillance and follow-up of severe cases and outbreaks.

Across Canada, there have been nearly 8,000 cases of the H1N1 since the outbreak began, and most have been mild.

Ontario reports an average of 9,000 cases of seasonal flu each year, and approximately 500 deaths.

Nationwide, the common flu sends about 20,000 Canadians to hospital each year. The Public Health Agency's website says between 4,000 and 8,000 Canadians can die of influenza and its complications annually, depending on the severity of the season
    They have some severe seasonal flu in Ontario. That is a 5% mortality rate!

I guess the message is- don't be alarmed now....
    Separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

Re: Total of 11 (or 18?) Deaths in Ontario

Source: http://www.yourbarrhaven.com/NepeanT.../article/14448

I'm a bit confused because it appears that these two deaths are death #17 and #18 on Hornblower's tally, which shows 7 deaths in Ontario. http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=109602

If we are up to 11 in Ontario, then Canada's total is now 30. Where I'm confused is that this article indicates 18 deaths in Ontario, which would make the total 37. That doesn't sound right to me.

First Ottawa death from H1N1
      Local teen and Cornwall women first confirmed deaths in the eastern counties
      June 30, 2009
      BY This Week staff

A teenage boy has become the first Ottawa resident to die from complications related to swine flu last week. Dr. Isra Levy, Ottawa?s chief medical officer said more deaths are coming.

The boy, whose identity health officials asked to be kept anonymous out of respect for the family, died a few days before June 23 at the Children?s Hospital of Eastern Ontario.

A 52-year-old Stormont County woman infected with the H1N1 virus has also died at the Ottawa Hospital. The Eastern Ontario Health Unit said the woman had pre-existing medical conditions and it?s unclear what role swine flu played in her death.

Her identity is being kept under wraps out of respect for the family, the health unit said.

A 52-year-old Stormont County woman infected with the H1N1 virus has died at the Ottawa Hospital. The Eastern Ontario Health Unit said the woman had pre-existing medical conditions and it?s unclear what role swine flu played in her death.

Her identity is being kept under wraps out of respect for the family, the health unit said.
      Ottawa now has 263 confirmed ? and certainly many more undiagnosed ? cases of the H1N1 virus, commonly known as swine flu. Twenty-four have been hospitalized. The majority have been ?fairly mild.?

There are 2,667 cases in Ontario. Eighteen have died. A typical seasonal influenza causes about 500 deaths in Ontario every year, Levy said, but generally only two or three are children.
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Re: Total of 11 Deaths in Ontario

There was another person from Whitby (60 yr male) who died June 18 at Scarborough Hospital of "flu-like symptoms" 4 days after becoming ill. Might they be including him in their tally?

Comment

Re: Total of 14 Deaths in Ontario

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...iz4BZBEdVQdBug

Ontario reports two additional swine flu deaths for national total of 41

By THE CANADIAN PRESS ? 13 minutes ago

TORONTO ? Ontario is reporting an additional two deaths associated with the swine flu for a national total of 41.

Ontario now has 14 deaths and more than 3,636 confirmed cases of H1N1.

Across Canada, there have been more than 9,700 cases of the H1N1 since the outbreak began, and most have been mild.

There have now been 41 deaths of Canadians who had swine flu: 15 in Quebec, 14 in Ontario, six in Manitoba, three in Saskatchewan and three in Alberta.

Nationwide, the common flu sends about 20,000 Canadians to hospital each year.

The Public Health Agency's website says between 4,000 and 8,000 Canadians can die of influenza and its complications annually, depending on the severity of the season.

Copyright ? 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Comment

Working...
          X