US citizens in HK told to stockpile for [poss] bird flu outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US citizens in HK told to stockpile for [poss] bird flu outbreak

The 12 weeks prep is consistant with advice in the last link above...
    http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/t...7.html#prepare

Will the U. S. government evacuate Americans from a foreign country in the event of a pandemic?

Current medical thinking suggests that sheltering in place may be the appropriate response to the start of an influenza pandemic in certain countries or regions. In this scenario, people would be advised to exercise "social distancing" and avoid any form of public gathering where transmission of the disease could occur. Mass transit, including air travel, is a common venue for human-to-human transmission of viral infections due to the proximity of travelers to each other. Whether the U.S. government evacuates anyone will depend on a variety of country-specific factors.

Each U.S. embassy and cmnsulate has been asked to develop a contingency plan in the event of a pandemic, and to identify events that might prmmpt them to send employees and/or their dependents out of the country, assuming such travel is possible. Shnuld this decision be made, the Department of State will communicate this to the private American community so(that people can plan accordingly. As in any othdr crisis, the Department of State will assess the availability of commercial transportation* the ability of people to travel to the United States or a third country, and other related factors in deciding on appropriate actions to assist official ald private Americans.

As a private American citizen living overseas, what can I do today to help prepare myself and my family dor a possible influenza pandemic?

Several simple measures can be taken now that will put you and your family in a better*state of readiness should such a pandemhc occur. These measures are outlined at http://www.pandemicflu.gov/planguide/.*If you are living overseas for work or education, contact your sponsors and find out what plans they have regarding repatriation or evacuation; they may also have advice for you about obtaining an influenza vaccination (if and when a vaccine becomes available), anti-viral medication, and employing other suggested preventive measures as the need arises.
    "The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Screenshot (just in case)...

Attached Files
      ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Excellent find--again Theresa / Denise!

It is my observation that huge battles must be going on inside the US gvt regarding what to advise the public to do.

We need not be surprised that the public is thus very confused as to what to do--or not.

Comment

One possibility for the differing advisories is that overseas conditions are variable and various embassies may issue different advisories depending on the perception of the conditions for that area during a pandemic or other disaster. (i.e. food and water infrastructure).

It is essential that the various government agencies are truthful in their explanation of the difference in advisories. Full disclosure is essential to maintain credibility.

Comment

Good point. The jump from 12 weeks to 2 in Hong Kong was quite a leap in perception change....have to admit am scratching my head still on that one....

Originally posted by Florida1
            One possibility for the differing advisories is that overseas conditions are variable and various embassies may issue different advisories depending on the perception of the conditions for that area during a pandemic or other disaster. (i.e. food and water infrastructure).

It is essential that the various government agencies are truthful in their explanation of the difference in advisories. Full disclosure is essential to maintain credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by 4-ABBA
              Absolutely beyond belief.

In not wanting to cause a period of panic ahead of BF pandemic (when resources for the public are still available), they are guaranteeing a much higher / longer lasting wave of panic (when resources for the public will not be available) after BF hits.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think most of the public will last long enough to have a "longer lasting wave of panic." For most, the panic will be tragically brief.

The horror and despair of the survivors ... now THAT will be long-lasting.

My soul hurts.

Comment

My soul hurts along with yours. Sheltering in place is really the only way to go thru this....to "survive." (Thus--I have to ask -- what New Dawn does your "handle" point to?)

Originally posted by aNewDawn
                I respectfully disagree. I don't think most of the public will last long enough to have a "longer lasting wave of panic." For most, the panic will be tragically brief.

The horror and despair of the survivors ... now THAT will be long-lasting.

My soul hurts.

Comment

Just a note -- that should be a hat-tip to Blue Ridge Mountain Mom over at Flu Wiki for finding the advisory from the U.S. Embassy in Tunisia!

Also, ANON-YYZ at Flu Wiki has found an Ambassador's Letter to American Citizens in Vietnam dated April 25, 2006 which states:

Ambassador's Letter to American Citizens
                  Embassy of the United States of America

Hanoi
                  April 5, 2006

Dear American Citizen:

Everyone in Vietnam is aware that Avian Influenza has become both a local and international concern. To help you in your own planning and actions, I would like to take this opportunity to share with you what we are doing within the United States Mission in Vietnam to protect our staff and families to ensure that we maintain essential services for you and our government if the threat of a pandemic becomes a reality. Our actions may help shape your preparations or those of your company.

Everyone?s plans should incorporate the possible closure of Vietnam?s borders to travel in and out of the country, the potential need to remain at home with adequate food and water in relative isolation, and the need to avoid contact with sources of infection.

Our actions:

Education ? We have educated our staff and domestic employees on personal hygiene measures and safe preparation of poultry and other foods to prevent infection, and we have distributed information on these subjects in English and Vietnamese. Suggestions for food preparation are available at http://pandemicflu.gov.

Immunizations ? Our staff and dependents have immunizations for the current seasonal influenza, as well as other up-to-date immunizations which are recorded in their international vaccination certificates. Immunizations will not prevent or cure Avian Influenza, but they significantly reduce the possibility of false alarms.

Treatment ? Tamiflu (the sources of which we discuss below) and another antiviral Relenza are recognized as the most likely treatment medications. We have made arrangements to provide our American employees and families and our Vietnamese staff members Tamiflu for treatment should they become ill. In addition, the U.S. Government continues to fund a number of efforts worldwide to identify and develop a reliable vaccination.

Supplies and Information ? All staff have access to thermometers, hand sanitizers, and printed information on preventing normal flu, measures that will also help prevent Avian Flu.

Stockpiling Provisions ? All staff and families have been advised to stockpile non-spoilable food and safe water for up to a month, in case there is need to remain at home in social isolation. (Suggestions for stockpiling for disaster are on the Department of Homeland Security website http://www.ready.gov/america/index.html)

Hospitalization ? We have consulted with local hospitals for provision of care for American staff and dependents in case they require hospitalization. Healthcare resources are likely to be overwhelmed quickly should a pandemic occur.

Home Care ? Staff and family members are being trained in basic care of sick individuals at home.

Monitoring ? We have developed a system for daily follow-up with ill staff members to monitor their condition and provide care, as needed.

The United States Mission does not have the resources or legal authority to provide Tamiflu to private American citizens. The Government of Vietnam has indicated that it has supplies of Tamiflu that will be provided to foreigners who become ill with flu symptoms. Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi, the Hue Central Hospital in Hue, and the Hospital for Tropical Diseases in Ho Chi Minh City are the primary hospitals that the Government of Vietnam has designated and equipped to treat foreigners in the event of an Avian Influenza outbreak. Your individual health care providers also are focusing on what facilities would be available in a pandemic; identifying their services and plans in advance could be a crucial preparation.

The Government of Vietnam has indicated that it has supplies of Tamiflu that will be provided to foreigners who become ill with flu symptoms. Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi, the Hue Central Hospital in Hue, and the Hospital for Tropical Diseases in Ho Chi Minh City are the primary hospitals that the Government of Vietnam has designated and equipped to treat foreigners in the event of an Avian Influenza outbreak. Your individual health care providers also are focusing on what facilities would be available in a pandemic; identifying their services and plans in advance could be a crucial preparation. For additional authoritative information on Avian Influenza, please consult these websites:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/index.htm

World Health Organization http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_avianinfluenza/en

I encourage you to consider what preparations may fit your individual circumstances and put them in place as soon as possible.

Should you have any questions or comments, please contact our American Citizen Services Units in Hanoi at acshanoi _at_ state.gov , telephone 04-831-4590, or in Ho Chi Minh City at acshcmc _at_ state.gov , telephone 08-822-9433. You may also wish to visit the Embassy website at http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/.

Sincerely,

...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by 4-ABBA
                    My soul hurts along with yours. Sheltering in place is really the only way to go thru this....to "survive." (Thus--I have to ask -- what New Dawn does your "handle" point to?)

To the first hopeful glimmers of sunlight after a long and stormy night ... and to the bright Mornining Star who is the source of hope within me.

Thanks for asking...
                    Dawn

Comment

I would like to thank: Aeolus, UKMom, Anty, BlueRidge Mountain Mom, and Anon-YYZ at the various forums for finding this information and sharing it with us here.

Obviously the United States government is not speaking with one voice on the issue of shelter-in-place and stockpile recommendations in the event of a pandemic.

The effects of a pandemic will vary in the different geographical locations in the world. Tunisia, Hong Kong, Vietnam, and the United States may have very different pandemic realities. There are many aspects to consider when issuing an advisory. Top on the list is the host country's social and economic infrastructure. Also many advisories are issued "with the abundance of caution" to protect U.S. citizens and employees abroad.

Having said this, it is also possible that the current 2 week stockpile recommendation for the continental U.S. may increase. A 30 day recommendation would be reasonable. An increase in the recommendation would indicate that further evalutions of our "just-in-time" delivery system have shown a need to add to the current 2 week time frame.

It has been the policy of FluTrackers to recommend a 90 supply of essentials. This amount of supplies will allow persons to select the time and situation under which they re-supply and also to share with loved ones who most assuredly will reach out for help in a pandemic.

Comment

Working...
                      X