Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netherlands - Avian Influenza HP H5N8 in Zoeterwoude, Zuid-Holland province - 78,000 chickens culled - 5th outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netherlands - Avian Influenza HP H5N8 in Zoeterwoude, Zuid-Holland province - 78,000 chickens culled - 5th outbreak

google translation

Bird flu in Zoeterwoude

News item | 30-11-2014

In Zoeterwoude in a chickenfarm with around 28,000 animals bird flu (avian influenza, AI) had been established. This company has no outdoor access. The affected chickens are to be culled today. This is based on European rules. Depopulation is by the Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA).

This infection is an H5 strain of bird flu. It is not yet clear whether it is a low pathogenic or highly pathogenic variant. Further analysis by the CVI should reveal this. It is expected that the results of this analysis are available tomorrow.

Surrounding the company in Zoeterwoude establishes a 10 mile area. Within this area are four other poultry farms. These companies are sampled and tested for avian influenza.

No H5 bird flu found in duck farms
    Meanwhile, the investigation into all duck farms was completed in the Netherlands. There is no bird flu virus of the H5 type found on these premises.

Central Government

Zuid-Holland province - Zoeterwoude is aprox 10 miles from the previous outbreak in Ter Aar

wikipedia
    ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Re: Netherlands - Avian Influenza H5 in Zoeterwoude, Zuid-Holland province - 28,000 chickens culled - 5th outbreak

At the other side of the road at the chicken farm there is a wetland called "De Wilck", many migratory birds come here, including Wigeons and Tundra Swans.

vogelsrijnwoude
    ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"

Comment

Re: Netherlands - Avian Influenza HP H5N8 in Zoeterwoude, Zuid-Holland province - 28,000 chickens culled - 5th outbreak

Type H5N8 bird flu in Zoeterwoude

News item | 01-12-2014

Research has shown that the contamination of poultry in Zoeterwoude comes from the highly pathogenic H5N8 variant. The chickens have been culled November 30, 2014.

Within one kilometer zone around the affected farm there is another poultry farm. Having established that it is H5N8, the chickens in this farm wil be culled today as a preventive measure. This includes about 50,000 animals.

Of the other three companies in the 10-kilometer zone on 2 farms there is no poultry. The third farm is being investigated at present.

Central Government

Comment

Re: Netherlands - Avian Influenza HP H5N8 in Zoeterwoude, Zuid-Holland province - 78,000 chickens culled - 5th outbreak

4 november 2014 - De eerste kleine zwanen uit Rusland (Siberi?) zijn gisteren gesignaleerd
        in het westelijk deel van Het Groene Hart, op Vogelplas Starrevaart. Vanmorgen waren de
        drie vogels, een paartje met een jong, nog steeds aanwezig. Veel slapen, uitrusten van
        duizenden kilometers vliegen. Als de kleine zwanen arriveren, is dat voor mij het teken
        dat de herfst echt is begonnen.

4 November 2014-the first Bewick's swans from Russia (Siberia) in the western part of
        yesterday signaled the green heart, on Bird plas Starrevaart. This morning the three birds,
        a couple with a young, still present. Lots of sleep, rest fly thousands of kilometres. If the
        little swans arrive, is that for me the sign that autumn really started.

Vogelplas Starrevaart , ~5km SWW of Zouterwoude
        across the Autobahn E19

---------------------------------------------
        Attached Files
        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Re: Netherlands - Avian Influenza HP H5N8 in Zoeterwoude, Zuid-Holland province - 78,000 chickens culled - 5th outbreak

Kamerik/Woerden is not far from Hekendorp, Ter Aar and Zoetermeer. Very close to the farm in Zoetermeer, thousands of migrating ducks (wigeons) pass through each year.

Bird flu found in wild ducks

News item | 01-12-2014

In two samples from wild ducks (wigeon) near Kamerik in Woerden avian influenza of the H5 type (highly pathogenic) has been detected. The sampling is part of the investigation into the possible role of wild birds in the spread of bird flu in the Netherlands.

In addition, an analysis of the Central Veterinary Institute (CVI) concluded the three highly pathogenic bird flu cases in Hekendorp, Ter Aar and Kamperveen occurred independently according to Dijksma, Secretary of Economic Affairs in a letter to parliament.

Next Step
          Based on results from the research of wild birds and the analysis of the CVI Dijksma will on Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014 during the consultation with the industry disclose what the next steps will be, regarding the measures taken to combat avian influenza.

Central Government

Comment

smienten = Eurasian wigeon = anas penelope = Pfeifente

----------------------------------------------------------
            date December 1, 2014
            Subject State of bird flu

Dear President,

Yesterday, 30 November last. I have informed you about the outbreak of bird flu
            Zoeterwoude. I hereby inform you about the state of affairs, as well as the
            research into the possible cause.

State of bird flu Zoeterwoude

On 30 November. Was established on avian flu in a legpluimveebedrijf
            Zoeterwoude. This company is therefore eliminated. Research has now
            determined that the bird flu concerns highly pathogenic H5N8 type.

In the area with a radius of 1 km around the infected holding is still one
            other poultry. As a precaution, it was decided to eliminate this business preventively.
            This involves a company with about 50,000 broilers.

Between 1 km and 10 km area are 3 other poultry farms.
            Two companies is currently no poultry. The other company
            has been inspected and samples taken to be examined.

Investigate possible cause

In my letter of 24 November. I informed you about the investigation
            the possible role of wild birds in the spread of bird flu. In the previously
            surveyed 1,500 wild birds was the highly pathogenic virus type H5N8
            not found.

Today it was announced that in two samples of feces
            wigeon (wild duck species) near Kamerik (province of Utrecht) the
            bird flu virus has been detected by the highly pathogenic H5 type. The type of N
            this virus is not yet known, it is still under investigation.

The investigation is continuing.

In addition, research has been done on the introduction of the virus on the
            different companies. It is based on all available information, the most
            likely that there are three separate introductions of the bird flu virus
            occurred in the areas Hekendorp, Ter Aar and Kamperveen. this is shown
            include analysis of the Central Veterinary Institute (CVI), part
            Wageningen UR, how the viruses that are found on the infected
            companies genetically similar. Information about the virus in Zoeterwoude
            is expected at the end of this week.

Based on the above information, I deliberation me the continuation of the
            measures established to combat the outbreak of bird flu.
            In the government meeting that tomorrow I enter the sector, I will make my proposal
            present.

Obviously, I will inform you of developments.

Sharon A.M. Dijksma
            State Secretary for Economic Affairs

Comment

I think they should examine the insects

I don't mean, they should sequence fly-feet en masse,
              but it can't be so difficult to search for these special flies on the affected
              farms and in general on wild bird feces, whether they are attracted to poultry farms
              and such --> wind direction. How it depends on temperature, geography, season,
              available food, farm enclosure,
              I didn't see anything about this.It should have been done already.

the introductions in Korea and Europe don't make sense to me without flies.
              How the secured big farms are hit but not the backyard poultry.
              How it corresponds with the migration and sequences, how they can't find
              other sources like food,cloths,
              We have that problem since long - they can't figure out the way how it spreads

Comment

where exactly is the farm, how far from the bird's place, what direction
                now i see zoetermeer rather than zoeterwoude and a distance
                of 21km from Hekendorp while I measure 26km

----------------------------------------
                that big bird picture above is from 2008
                the big buildings East, on the other side of the street is Heiniken brewery

Zoeterwoude is presumably the whole area ~4x4 km
                the city is Zoeterwoude Dorp
                the birds are 1.5km W - 3.5km WSW of Zoeterwoude dorp

2 poultry farms within the 1km radius

there should be a list of poultry farms and lakes with coordinates

-------------------------------
                OK, I found it here:

Burmadeweg
                52.1207N,4.5409E , one similar group of buildings just ~500m away, presumably the other mentioned farm
                about 6km East of the lake with the Bewick's swans, probably too far for insects
                about 8km SW of Braassemermeer
                about 12km WSW of Ter Aar
                about 2km South of the Rhine river (Oude Rijn) {maybe migrating birds are following rivers ?}
                about 12km SE of the North-Sea

Comment

Working...
                X