Death of President Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of President Ford

While President Ford is eulogized today, I thought it appropriate that we talk about his decisions and that of his administration during the Swine Flu issue. Those who have read Dr. Fineberg's book on the 1976 flu crisis should take note of Ford's decision to go forward to manufacture enough vaccine for the entire US population. His decision was the best one he could make, especially in light of the options he was given. Now we know the surveillance was not good enough to make that decision, which public health professionals have worked to improve since that time. I wonder how much of today's emphasis on influenza surveillance and detection is a result of the lack of choices given him back in 1976?

When faced with rare agreement from Drs. Kilbourne, Salk AND Sabin, Ford made the only choice he was left with. And he paid a political price for that decision. But Ford erred on the side of the American people, putting their interests at the top of the list. He listened and acted with their interests at heart.

Gerald Ford was the first president who had to make tough choices regarding preparing for the real possibility of a pandemic, as opposed to actually having to manage the effects of one. His decisions -- and the analysis of same in Fineberg's book and public policy college courses -- are valuable, especially today.

Re: Death of President Ford

they could have produced and stockpiled the vaccine in 1976 instead of putting it into the people. This had been favoured later.

The whole action did cost $200-$300 million, which is not so much when
    considering the possible damage.

Strangely, no other country except the Dutch followed that example.

Similar today. H5N1 is a global problem but the national decisions
    and people's awareness differ a lot.

In 1976 the older people did remember 1918, while today people
    only remember 1976 , very few lived in 1918.

see also here Florida1's post and the link here to the broadcast and transcripts
    from American Abroad Radio :

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13685
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Good post, and thank you for this information.

Comment

gsgs, thanks for the link. I agree with your post. The same conclusion in Dr. Fineberg's book was reached, namely that the vaccine should have been stored in warehouses and not in people. But it is important to note that Ford was not really given that option. When you have three of the world's leading medical scientists giving you the same advice, you are almost certainly obliged to take it.

I am looking forward to listening to the podcast. Thanks again!
        Scott

Comment

Working...
        X