Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general immunology

a good site for general immunology, find by GANSERPEEL
    you may find some animations if you explore this page.
    Histocompatibility Molecules

Histocompatibility molecules are glycoproteins expressed at the surface of almost all vertebrate cells. They get their name because they are responsible for the compatibility ? or rather the lack of it ? of the tissues of genetically different individuals. Monozygotic ("identical") human twins have the same histocompatibility molecules on their cells, and they can accept transplants of tissue from each other. The rest of us have a set of histocompatibility molecules that is probably unique to us. A graft of our tissue into another human will provoke an immune response which, if left unchecked, will end in the rejection of the transplant. So the histocompatibility molecules of one individual act as antigens when introduced into a different individual. In fact, the histocompatibility molecules are often called histocompatibility antigens or transplantation antigens.
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Link to discussion of transplant rejection.</td></tr></tbody></table> The most rapid and severe rejection of foreign tissue occurs when there is a failure to properly match the donor and recipient for the major histocompatibility molecules. There are two categories: class I and class II.
    Class I Histocompatibility Molecules

Class I molecules consist of two polypeptide chains, a long one (on the left) of 346 amino acids ? it is called the heavy chain ? and a short one (on the right) of 99 amino acids.
    The heavy chain consists of 5 main regions or domains:
    • three extracellular domains, designated here as N (includes the N terminal), C1, and C2;
    • a transmembrane domain where the polypeptide chain passes through the plasma membrane of the cell;
    • a cytoplasmic domain (with the C terminal) within the cytoplasm of the cell.
    To the right is the protein molecule called beta-2 microglobulin ("β<sub>2</sub>M"). It is not attached to the heavy chain by any covalent bonds, but rather by a number of noncovalent interactions.
    The dark bars represent disulfide (S-S) bridges linking portions of each domain (except the N domain). However, the bonds in S-S bridges are no longer than any other covalent bond, so if this molecule could be viewed in its actual tertiary (3D) configuration, we would find that the portions of the polypeptide chains containing the linked Cys are actually close together.
    The outermost domains ("N" and "C1") contain two segments of alpha helix that form two ridges with a groove between them. A small molecule (e.g., a short peptide) is attached noncovalently in the groove between the two alpha helices, rather like a hot dog in a bun (not shown here, but look below).
    <table border="1" width="300"><tbody><tr><td>You can also link to a color model (92K) showing these features. But note that the terminology for the domains is different in this model: N = α<sub>1</sub>, C1 = α<sub>2</sub>, C2 = α <sub>3</sub> </td></tr></tbody></table> The two objects on the left of the image that look like candelabra represent the short, branched chains of sugars in this glycoprotein.
    The regions marked "Papain" represent the places on the heavy chain that are attacked by the proteinase papain (and made it possible to release the extracellular domains from the plasma membrane for easier analysis).
    This image (courtesy of T.J. Kindt and J. E. Coligan) represents the structure of a class I histocompatibility molecule, called H-2K. Almost all the cells of an animal's body (in this case, a mouse) have thousands of these molecules present in their plasma membrane. These molecules provide tissue identity and serve as major targets in the rejection of transplanted tissue and organs. But tissue rejection is not their natural function. Class I molecules serve to display antigens on the surface of the cell so that they can be "recognized" by T cells.
    Humans synthesize three different types of class I molecules designated HLA-A, HLA-B, and HLA-C. (HLA stands for human leukocyte antigen; because the molecules were first studied on leukocytes). These differ only in their heavy chain, all sharing the same type of beta-2 microglobulin. The genes encoding the different heavy chains are clustered on chromosome 6 in the major histocompatibility complex (MHC).
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Link to a discussion of the MHC of humans.</td></tr></tbody></table> We inherit a gene for each of the three types of heavy chain from each parent so it is possible, in fact common, to express two allelic versions of each type. Thus a person heterozygous for HLA-A, HLA-B, and HLA-C expresses six different class I proteins. These are synthesized and displayed by most of the cells of the body (except those of the central nervous system).
    Histocompatibility molecules present antigens to T cells

Although histocompatibility molecules were discovered because of the crucial role they play in graft rejection, clearly evolution did not give vertebrates these molecules for that function. So what is their normal function? The answer: to display antigens so that they can be "seen" by T lymphocytes.
    The antigen receptor on T lymphocytes (or T cells, as they are commonly called) "sees" an epitope that is a mosaic of the small molecule in the groove and portions of the alpha helices flanking it.
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Discussion of antigen presentation to T cells.</td></tr></tbody></table> The small molecules ("hot dogs") are enormously diverse. They probably represent fragments derived from all the proteins present within the cell. These would include:
    • fragments of normal cell constituents (These do not normally elicit an immune response.)
    • fragments of molecules encoded by intracellular parasites (like viruses);
    • fragments of proteins encoded by mutated genes in cancer cells.
    Class II Histocompatibility Molecules

Human class II molecules are designated HLA-D, and the genes encoding them are also located in the major histocompatibility complex (MHC). Class II molecules consist of two transmembrane polypeptides. These interact to form a groove at their outer end which, like class I molecules, always contains a fragment of antigen. But the fragments bound to class II molecules are derived from antigens that the cell has taken in from its surroundings. Extracellular molecules are engulfed by endocytosis. The endosomes fuse with lysosomes and their contents are partially digested. The resulting fragments are placed in class II molecules and returned to the cell surface.
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>See Antigen Presentation for more details</td></tr></tbody></table> Class II molecules, in contrast to class I, are normally expressed on only certain types of cells. These are cells like macrophages and B lymphocytes that specialize in processing and presenting extracellular antigens to T lymphocytes. Thus antigen presentation by class II molecules differs from that by class I in two important ways:
    • All cells can present antigens with class I molecules, whereas only certain cells can do so with class II.
    • The antigen fragments (hot dogs) displayed in class I molecules are generated from macromolecules synthesized within the cell, whereas those displayed in class II molecules have been acquired from outside the cell.
    Class I and class II molecules present antigen fragments to different subsets of T cells.

Most of the T cells of the body belong to one of two distinct subsets: CD4<sup>+</sup> or CD8<sup>+</sup>. CD4 and CD8 are surface glycoproteins. Both CD4<sup>+</sup> and CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells have an antigen receptor (TCR) that "sees" a complex hot-dog-in-bun epitope. However, neither type can be activated by simply binding its complementary epitope. An additional molecular interaction must take place.
    • The CD8 molecules on CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells bind to a site found only on class I histocompatibility molecules (shown here as a gray hemisphere).
    • The CD4 molecules on CD4<sup>+</sup> T cells bind to a site found only on class II histocompatibility molecules (shown below as a yellow triangle).
    The CD8<sup>+</sup> T Cell/Class I Interaction

Because of the need for CD8 to bind to a receptor site found only on class I histocompatibility molecules, CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells are only able to respond to antigens presented by class I molecules. Most CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells are cytotoxic T cells (CTLs). They contain the machinery for destroying cells whose class I epitope they recognize.
    An example: Every time you get a viral infection, say influenza (flu), the virus invades certain cells of your body. Once inside, the virus subverts the metabolism of the cell to make more virus. This involves synthesizing molecules encoded by the viral genome. In due course, these are assembled into a fresh crop of virus particles that leave the cell (often killing it in the process) and spread to new cells.
    Except while in transit from their old home to their new, the virus works inside cells safe from any antibodies. But early in their intracellular life, infected cells display fragments of the viral proteins being synthesized in the cytoplasm in their surface class I molecules.
    Any cytotoxic T cells specific for that antigen will bind to the infected cell and often will be able to destroy it before it can release a fresh crop of virus.
    The bottom line: the function of the body's CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells is to monitor all the cells of the body ready to destroy any that express foreign antigen fragments in their class I molecules.
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Further details of how infected cells present viral antigens to CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells </td></tr></tbody></table> The CD4<sup>+</sup> T Cell/Class II Interaction

The CD4 molecules expressed on the surface of CD4<sup>+</sup> T cells enable them to bind to cells presenting antigen fragments in class II molecules but not in class I. Only certain types of cells, those specialized for taking up antigen from extracellular fluids, express class II molecules. Among the most important of these are<table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Further discussion with graphic.</td></tr></tbody></table>
    So CD4<sup>+</sup> T cells see antigen derived from extracellular fluids and processed by specialized antigen-presenting cells.

To respond to an antigen, a CD4<sup>+</sup> T cell must
    • have a T cell receptor (TCR) able to recognize a complex epitope comprising an antigenic fragment displayed by a class II molecule and
    • bind a site on the class II molecule (shown above as a yellow triangle) with its CD4
    If both these conditions are met, the T cell becomes activated. Activated T cells
    • enter the cell cycle leading to the growth of a clone of identical T cells
    • begin to secrete lymphokines
    Lymphokines
    • activate other cells (e.g., mast cells) to the region producing an inflammation (e.g., to cope with a bacterial infection);
    • activate B cells enabling them to develop into a clone of antibody-secreting cells. The CD4<sup>+</sup> T cells that activate B cells are called Helper T cells.
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Discussion of Helper T cells </td></tr></tbody></table> Welcome&Next Search

Re: general immunology

Antigen Presentation

<table align="right" border="1"><tbody><tr><td align="center">Index to this page</td></tr> <tr><td></td></tr></tbody></table> Antigens are macromolecules that elicit an immune response in the body. Antigens can beMost of this page will describe how protein antigens are presented to the immune system.
    The presentation of lipid and polysaccharide antigens will be mentioned at the end. [Link]
    It will be helpful to distinguish between
    • antigens that enter the body from the environment; these would include
      • inhaled macromolecules (e.g., proteins on cat hairs that can trigger an attack of asthma in susceptible people)
      • ingested macromolecules (e.g., shellfish proteins that trigger an allergic response in susceptible people)
      • molecules that are introduced beneath the skin (e.g., on a splinter or in an injected vaccine)
    • antigens that are generated within the cells of the body; these would include
      • proteins encoded by the genes of viruses that have infected a cell
      • aberrant proteins that are encoded by mutant genes; such as mutated genes in cancer cells
    In all cases, however, the initial immune response to any antigen absolutely requires that the antigen be recognized by a T lymphocyte ("T cell"). The truth of this rule is clearly demonstrated in AIDS: the infections (viral or fungal or bacterial) that so often claim the life of AIDS patients do so when the patient has lost virtually all of his or her CD4<sup>+</sup> T cells. The two categories of antigens are processed and presented to T cells by quite different mechanisms.
    First Group: Exogenous antigens

Exogenous antigens (inhaled, ingested, or injected) are taken up by antigen-presenting cells (APCs). These include:Antigen-presenting cells
    • engulf the antigen by endocytosis.
    • The endosome fuses with a lysosome where the antigen is
    • degraded into fragments (e.g. short peptides).
    • These antigenic peptides are then displayed at the surface of the cell nestled within a
    • class II histocompatibility molecule.
    • Here they may be recognized by CD4<sup>+</sup> T cells.
    (Dendritic cells can also present intact antigen directly to B cells. In this case, the engulfed antigen is not degraded in lysosomes but is returned to the cell surface for presentation to B cells bearing BCRs of the appropriate specificity.)
    Second Group: Endogenous antigens

Antigens that are generated within a cell (e.g., viral proteins in any infected cell) are
    • degraded into fragments (e.g., peptides) within the cell and
    • displayed at the surface of the cell nestled within a
    • class I histocompatibility molecule.
    • Here they may be recognized by CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells.
    • Most CD8<sup>+</sup> T cells are cytotoxic.
    • They have the machinery to destroy the infected cell (often before it is able to release a fresh crop of viruses to spread the infection). [Link to discussion.]
    Now for more details. The Class I Pathway

Class I histocompatibility molecules are transmembrane proteins expressed at the cell surface. Like all transmembrane proteins, they are synthesized by ribosomes on the rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER) and assembled within its lumen. <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>(See Protein Kinesis for further details.)</td></tr></tbody></table> There are three subunits in each class I histocompatibility molecule:
    • the transmembrane polypeptide (called the "heavy chain")
    • the antigenic peptide
    • beta-2 microglobulin
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>See Histocompatibility Molecules </td></tr></tbody></table> <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Link to model of a human class I
    histocompatibility molecule (92K)
    </td></tr></tbody></table> All of these must be present within the lumen of the endoplasmic reticulum if they are to assemble correctly and move through the Golgi apparatus to the cell surface.
    The Problem: proteins encoded by the genes of an infecting virus are synthesized in the cytosol. How to get them into the endoplasmic reticulum?
    The Solution: TAP (= transporter associated with antigen processing).
    • Viral proteins in the cytosol are degraded by proteasomes into viral peptides.
    • The peptides are picked up by TAP proteins embedded in the membrane of the endoplasmic reticulum. <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>TAP proteins are members of the ABC group of membrane transporters. Discussion.</td></tr></tbody></table>
    • Using the energy of ATP, the peptides are pumped into the lumen of the endoplasmic reticulum where they assemble with
    • the transmembrane polypeptide and beta-2 microglobulin.
    • This trimolecular complex then moves through the Golgi apparatus and is inserted in the plasma membrane.
    • The complex can be bound by a T cell with
      • a receptor (TCR) able to bind the peptide and flanking portions of the histocompatibility molecule (the hot dog in the bun) and
      • CD8 molecules that bind the CD8 receptor (shown above as a gray hemisphere) on the histocompatibility molecule.
    <table bgcolor="#ffff33" border="3" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2"> <tbody><tr><td align="center"> External Link</td> </tr> <tr><td>Link to animation of the class I pathway (requires Flash plug-in).</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"><small>Please let me know by e-mail if you find a broken link in my pages.)</small></td></tr> </tbody></table> The Class II Pathway

Class II histocompatibility molecules consist of
    • two transmembrane polypeptides and
    • a third molecule nestled in the groove they form.
    All three components of this complex must be present in the endoplasmic reticulum for proper assembly.
    But antigenic peptides are not transported to the endoplasmic reticulum, so a protein called the invariant chain ("Ii") temporarily occupies the groove.
    The steps:
    • The two chains of the class II molecule are inserted into the membrane of the endoplasmic reticulum.
    • They bind (in their groove) one molecule of invariant chain.
    • This trimolecular complex is transported through the Golgi apparatus and into vesicles called lysosomes.
    Meanwhile,
    • Foreign antigenic material is engulfed by endocytosis forming endosomes.
    • These also fuse with lysosomes.
    Then,
    • The antigen is digested into fragments.
    • The invariant (Ii) chain is digested.
    • This frees the groove for occupancy by the antigenic fragment.
    • The vesicles move to the plasma membrane and the complex is displayed at the cell surface. <table bgcolor="#ffff33" border="3" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2"> <tbody><tr><td align="center"> External Link</td> </tr> <tr><td>Link to animation of the class II pathway (requires Flash plug-in).</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"><small>Please let me know by e-mail if you find a broken link in my pages.)</small></td></tr> </tbody></table>
    • The complex can be bound by a T cell with
      • a receptor (TCR) able to bind the peptide and flanking portions of the histocompatibility molecule (the hot dog in the bun) and
      • CD4 molecules that bind the CD4 receptor (shown above as a yellow triangle) found on all class II histocompatibility molecules.
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Link to discussion of how TCRs are synthesized.</td></tr></tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#ffff33" border="3" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2"> <tbody><tr><td align="center"> External Link</td> </tr> <tr><td>To see other animations of these processes, click on immunobiology
    and navigate to "Antigen Recognition" → "MHC class I processing"
    and "MHC class II processing" respectively. (Requires Flash 6).</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"><small>Please let me know by e-mail if you find a broken link in my pages.)</small></td></tr> </tbody></table> Transferring viral antigens to Antigen-Presenting Cells (APCs)

"Professional" antigen-presenting cells (APCs) like dendritic cells can use the class I as well as the class II pathways of antigen presentation. This is fortunate because:
    • Most viruses infect cells other than APCs.
    • While viral antigens displayed on the surface of infected cells can serve as targets for cytotoxic T cells (CTLs),
    • the lack of any costimulatory molecules on the cell surface makes them poor stimulants for the development of clones of CTLs in the first place.
    However, at least two mechanisms exist for "crosspresentation" ? the transferring of viral antigens from any infected cell to a professional APC.
    1. When an infected cell dies, it can be engulfed by a professional APC and the viral antigens within it can enter the class I pathway.
      • The dead cell is engulfed by phagocytosis as described above.
      • The endosome that forms fuses with a lysosome and degradation of the dead cell begins.
      • Viral antigens pass into the cytosol and are degraded in proteasomes.
      • The viral peptides formed are then are picked up by TAP and, as described above,
      • inserted into class I MHC molecules and
      • displayed at the cell surface ? along with the costimulatory molecules needed to start a vigorous clonal expansion of CD8<sup>+</sup> cytotoxic T cells.
    2. Cells infected with viruses can also transfer viral peptides directly from their cytosol to an adjacent cell like
      • a professional APC able to present the peptide ? with the needed costimulatory molecules ? to CTLs;
      • or simply a cell of the same type that can then present it in a class I molecule and be killed by a CTL before the infection can spread to it. This mechanism provides a way of walling off the infection.
      • In both cases, the transfer occurs through gap junctions linking the adjacent cells.
    Diverting antigens from the Class I to the Class II pathway

Autophagy [Link] provides a mechanism by which cells can transfer intracellular antigens (e.g., proteins synthesized by an infecting virus) into the class II pathway in addition to class I. In this way viral infection can generate CD4<sup>+</sup> T cells as well as cytotoxic T cells (CD8<sup>+</sup>).
    B Lymphocytes: A Special Case

B lymphocytes process antigen by the class II pathway.
    However, antigen processing by B cells differs from that of phagocytic cells like macrophages in crucial ways:
    • B cells engulf antigen by receptor-mediated endocytosis
    • The B cell receptors for antigen (BCRs) are antibodies anchored in the plasma membrane. <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Link to discussion of how BCRs are synthesized.</td></tr></tbody></table>
    • The affinity of these for an epitope on an antigen may be so high that the B cell can bind and internalize the antigen when it is present in body fluids in concentrations thousands of times smaller than a macrophage would need.
    • The remaining steps of antigen processing occur by the same class II pathway described above for macrophages producing
    • fragments of antigen displayed at the cell surface nestled in the groove of class II histocompatibility molecules.
    • A CD4<sup>+</sup> T cell that recognizes the displayed antigen is stimulated to release lymphokines.
    • These, in turn, stimulate the B cell to enter the cell cycle.
    • Because of the part they play in stimulating B cells, these CD4<sup>+</sup> T cells are called Helper T cells ("Th").
    • The B cell grows into a clone of cells (called plasma cells)
    • These synthesize receptors (BCRs) with the identical binding site for the epitope but without the transmembrane tail.
    • These antibodies are secreted into the surroundings.
    <table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Graphic showing the steps leading to antibody secretion </td></tr></tbody></table> Lipid and Polysaccharide Antigens

Lipid Antigens
    • Lipid antigens are presented to T cells by cell-surface molecules designated CD1 ("cluster of differentiation" 1).
    • Antigen-presenting cells express several different forms of CD1 at their surface. Each is probably specialized to bind a particular type of lipid antigen (e.g. lipopeptide vs glycolipid).
    • The exposed surface of CD1 molecules forms an antigen-binding groove much like that of MHC molecules except that
    • the amino acids in the groove are more hydrophobic than those in MHC molecules.
    • Like protein antigens, lipid antigens are also presented as fragments, i.e., as a "hot dog in a bun".
    Polysaccharide Antigens

Some bacterial polysaccharides ingested by APCs
    • can be degraded in their lysosomes
    • and presented to T cells by MHC class II molecules.
    Nitric oxide (NO) appears to be essential for this process.
    Costimulation

The binding of a T cell to an antigen-presenting cell (APC) is by itself not enough to activate the T cell and turn it into an effector cell: one able to, for examples,
    • kill the APC (CD8<sup>+</sup> cytotoxic T lymphocytes [CTLs])
    • carry out cell-mediated immune reactions (CD4<sup>+</sup> Th1 cells)
    • provide help to B cells (CD4<sup>+</sup> Th2 cells)
    In order to become activated, the T cell must not only bind to the epitope (MHC-peptide) with its TCR but also receive a second signal from the APC. The receipt of this second signal is called costimulation. Among the most important of these costimulators are molecules on the APC designated B7 and their ligand on the T cell designated CD28. The binding of CD28 to B7 provides the second signal needed to activate the T cell.
    Although T cells may encounter self antigens in body tissues, they will not respond unless they receive a second signal. In fact, binding of their TCR ("signal one") without "signal two" causes them to self-destruct by apoptosis. Most of the time, the cells presenting the body's own antigens either
    • fail to provide signal two or
    • transmit an as-yet-unidentified second signal that turns the T cell into a regulatory T cell (Treg) that suppresses immune responses.
    In either case, self-tolerance results. Welcome&Next Search

Comment

here is another good,short survey about immunology and virology
      i.e. for influenza A

without links, so not so illustrative, but good for printing.
      chapter 2, 10 pages
      I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
      my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Animated degradation and transport of antigens that bind major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class I molecules

Comment

how long does it take to understand all this ?

I guess, 5 hours and 1 hour per week for refreshing...

I just can't remember the vocablulary

APC: Antigen-Presenting Cell
          CMH1:
          CMH2:
          CCMH1:
          CPA:
          Last edited by gsgs; August 19, 2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

hi gsgs
            the APC swallows a virus or a bacterie.
            it degrades it in small pieces (antigene) in the proteasome (which is as a "stomach" in the cell ) .
            then, it binds it with molecule CMH1 and, then it sends the whole , on its surface.
            and the APC will show that ( Antigene + CMH1 ) to a lymphocyte.
            the antigene shown by the APC is very attractive.
            it is then recognized by a lymphocyte which declenche the production of lymphocyte against this unique antigene ( and this one alone ).
            the CPA is a key cell of immunity .
            without it, nothing does not occur.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
            it s like if you want to make a gift to a friend : it is better with a ribbon, because your friend identifies that like a gift immediately, and he is happy.

it s the same with lymphocytes, they like " ribbon"

the ribbon are blue or red ( CCMH1 or 2 )

Comment

ahh, I hate ribbons around gifts !

I read this all from the Beauchemin-thesis some weeks/months
              ago, and I think I even understood the basical principles,
              but then forgot most of it.

my link above no longer works, but it's still in the google cache,
              although without the figures:

InfectionDynamics An influenza A infection is typically caused by inhalation of respiratory droplets
              from infectedpersons. Thesedroplets whichcontaininfluenzavirions(virusparticles) then land onthe
              mucusblanketlining the respiratory tract[68]. Many virions aredestroyed by non-specific clearance
              such as mucus binding. The remaining virions escape the mucus and attach to receptors on the surface
              of target epithelial cells. Infection is initiated by adsorption of the virions to the cell surface,
              which results in receptor-mediated endocytosis of the virusparticles approximately20 min afterinfection[68].
              Onceinsidethe cell,thevirionsbeginreplicating,usingthemachinery andbuilding materialsthat would normally be
              used by the host cell to maintain its functions. Virus budding, which takes place only atthe apical
              surfacemembraneofinfected cells[58], canbedetected5–6h afterinfection, andismaximal7–8h afterinfection[68].
              Virionsarereleased atarate of approximately10^2–10^4 d^-1 [11]and move on to infect neighbouring cells,
              repeating the infectionprocess. Virustiter(virion concentration) peaks within2–3d andis cleared
              within6–8dpost-infection[1]. Infected cells aredestroyed as a result ofthe cytopathic effect of the
              virions and as a result of the immune response, with a lifespan of ~24h. At the peak of the disease, about
              30&#37;–50% of the epithelium of the upper airways is destroyed[11]. Cellular regeneration of the epitheliumbegins5–7d
              afterinfectionbut complete resolution cantake up to one month[1].

APC: Antigen-Presenting Cell
              CMH1:MHC1:major histocompatibility complex 1
              CMH2:MHC2:major histocompatibility complex 2
              CCMH1:
              CPA:
              TCR : T cell receptor
              BCR : B cell receptor

immune system (IS)
              specific IS
              nonspecific IS
              antigen
              foreign antigen
              immune response
              innate IS
              acquired IS
              adapted IS
              phagocytic
              macrophages
              neutrophils
              B-cells
              T-cells
              antibody
              humoral response
              cell mediated response
              helper T-cell
              plasma B-cell
              memory B-cell
              cytotoxic T-cell
              target cells
              receptor
              epitope
              TCR:T-cell receptor
              BCR:B-cell receptor
              surface BCR
              anchored BCR
              immunoglobin
              effector plasma B-cell
              idiotope
              shape
              immune repertoire
              MHC:major histocompatibility complex
              MHC1
              MHC2
              APC:antigen presenting cell
              dendritic cells
              CD8+
              CTL:cytotoxic T-lymphocytes
              CD4+
              effector cells
              affinity
              clonal selection
              affinity maturation
              original antigenic sin
              naive cells
              self-nonself discrimination
              training period
              B:bone marrow
              T:thymus
              cythopathic

A.S.Perelson+G.Weisbuch:Immunology for physicists,Review of modern physics,69(4):1219-67, Oct.1997
              Goldsby,Osborne,Kindt:Kuby Immunology,W.H.Freeman+company.NY2000
              Last edited by gsgs; August 19, 2007, 12:39 PM.

Comment

do you want acronym ?

Comment

gimme acronym

Comment

TCR : T cell receptor

BCR : B cell receptor

CMH 1 or 2
                    I try to find it in english....
                    Last edited by Anne; August 19, 2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X