Turkey cull worker bitten by turkey and in hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey cull worker bitten by turkey and in hospital

Worried Mom gets Potuguese doctor to call her son in Britain and order him to hospital.

Farm worker bitten by turkey
    JULES STEVENS

10 February 2007 07:00

A Bernard Matthews farm worker was bitten by a turkey as he helped cull birds *last Saturday, it was revealed last night.

The cut on Andr? Lacerda's hand was washed with alcohol by a nurse, he was given a new pair of gloves and sent back to work catching turkeys.

But the 21-year-old, one of only seven workers rounding up birds on the first night of the cull, only went to hospital on Thursday after a doctor rang him from Portugal and ordered him to go.

The worker, from Lisbon, was immediately put into isolation at the James Paget University Hospital, Gorleston, and kept under observation.

Mr Lacerda derscribed last night how he watched snow falling for the first time in his life from his hospital room and thought he might die.

He said that despite telling a nurse, a ?red hat? (a senior manager) and bosses in the office at Bernard Mathews that he had been bitten, no one told him that he needed to go to hospital.

The Portugese doctor was alerted only after his worried mother in Lisbon rang the chief bird flu expert in Portugal.

Mr Lacerda said: ?I should not have been working after being bitten as I could have got bird flu, but the company didn't care.?

The company has now told him to take the next three days off to make sure he is in the clear.

Mr Lacerda said: ?When the doctor told me I was in danger and I was a danger to humanity, I was scared.

?In the isolation room I thought about my mother, my brother and my girlfriend. I thought about my life. I sat and watched the snow. I had never seen snow. All I wanted to do was go out and see the snow, but I was not allowed to leave the hospital.?

Doctors gave him the tamiflu anti-viral drug and after six hours told him he was in the clear.

Mr Lacerda admitted, however, that he was still a bit scared after developing flu symptoms.

A company spokesman said last night that if the workers reported to them, they would look into what had happened.

Re: Turkey cull worker bitten by turkey and in hospital

Boy, is this ever crazy. They washed his wound with ALCOHOL and sent him back to work? He did not get Tamiflu then, and now that he has flu symptoms, he is.

What is wrong with this picture? This keeps getting worse and worse.
    As a nurse, I am appalled.

Comment

Blue:

I may have read the story incorrectly, but I think the worker that went to the hospital did NOT exhibit Flu symptoms. I think he told his mother that a Turkey had bitten him. She, as worried mothers everywhere are prone to do, called a physican who recommended that her son get a medical evaluation.
      Judith --

What the method does not allow for cannot be proven or disproven using it.

Comment

I agree with DrJJ. No symptoms are mentioned. I think there may actually be a typo in the article, where it says

Mr Lacerda admitted, however, that he was still a bit scared after developing flu symptoms.
        I think they may have meant to say, "Mr. Lacerda admitted, however, that he was still a bit scared about developing flu symptoms."

I think that if he actually had symptoms, they would have been described.

Nevertheless, Smart Mom!! A sensible move under the circumstances.

Comment

That Mom didn't call just any doctor....she called Portugal's answer to Nabarro!

Comment

Working...
          X