Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Just a quick question, which I believe the answer to is YES. However, I have not seen any empirical articles relating to this. If anyone has data related to this topic, please post.

The reason I am asking this important questions is that I work at a psychiatric hospital where I have been frequently exposed to several internal waves of flu. Several units were quarantined over the past 2 months as a result and have tested positive for Influenza A, most likely H1N1.

Since this has all been taking place, I find that me and a couple of others have come down with flu-like symptoms each time and often the symptoms are different.

Understanding that the virus can change/mutate significantly, I was curious to know of the likelihood of re-infection, although there could be other explanations (first getting H1N1 and then later Seasonal Flu or just a resurfacing of symptoms from the primary exposure, for example).

Interested in all of your input, especially related studies being that the info could be important in treating the kids and staff with which I work. Moreover, my arguments for further protection of those who have already been exposed can be supported better by science since media and gov info is conflicting.

I also understood from Darkhorse that a Flutrackers member named Tonka had a similar experience.

Thanks!
    But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. -Poe

Also known as CRH-land

Re: Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

CDC’s pandemic preparedness efforts include ongoing surveillance of human and animal influenza viruses, risk assessments of influenza viruses with pandemic potential.

During the Friday CDC press briefing it was stated that a study was done that showed only 10% of H1N1 suspected cases studied had antibodies. One interpretation of this would be that the immunity from infection is very short lived. If this is true, then you could catch it over and over again, and we may have to get vaccinated over and over again as well.

The more common interpretation is that only 1 out of 10 actually had the disease and the other nine had something else. If that is true, that makes the CFR 900% higher than we thought and it will be a long time before herd immunity. It also means we are in for a season of diagnosis purgatory, as obviously why would we do any better now than in the spring, especially when confirmation testing is now mostly hospitalizations and deaths.
    And the important question you asked will be even harder to answer.

Comment

so, when were they tested ? what made them "suspected cases" ?

Just test NY randomly. We have an estimate of ~700000 infected in NH.
      That is hard evidence, it won't be less than 100000, IMO.

when will the study be published or preliminary data given to us ?
      Before or after the vaccination starts ?
      2nd wave already underway in USA

watch NYC now. Are they protected from wave 1 ?
      So far it seems so, no 2nd wave in NYC, i.e. Queens yet.

If they get a 2nd wave now as the whole Southern USA,
      then that is bad news for the vaccine-hopes
      I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
      my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

#1:
        "hospital where I have been frequently exposed to several internal waves of flu. Several units were quarantined over the past 2 months as a result and have tested positive for Influenza A, most likely H1N1."

With a premise that such NON-lab-checking cases situation is probably present in many hospitals worldwide,
        I must note that it is outrageous that after quarantines during 2 months of A flu exposition,
        the hospital did not decide to make detailed tests to detect the possible presence of the pandemic flu virus in it's illnessed staff and patients.

Directives of non-checkings if the human is not hospitalized himself,
        without taking at least some cases as possible sentinel pandemic presence, are eyes wide shut on the matter.

How statisticaly extract the pandemic pattern, when even the few neccessary sampling detailed test weren't done ...

Comment

it would have been easy to test how many people get it twice.

- just ask them

plus some samples of serology, tests in ferrets,
          hospitalization records ...

we should know. Wave 2 is already there.
          They don't tell us.

Comment

Both my wife and I have been sick with flu like symptoms more than once in over a 2 month period.
            Around the 3 - 4th week of May we both took ill. For the most part our symptoms were the same. My doctor told me I had a "virus" and my wife's doctor told her she had "seasonal flu".
            The second time we both got sick - this time it was worse - was around the middle of July. My doctor again told me I had a "virus" and my wife's doctor told her she had "the flu"..... strange that she could be diagnosed with flu twice out of flu season.Her and I receive our seasonal flu shot every fall.
            Neither one of us were lab tested when we saw our doctors. I had asked to be tested for influenza A both times, but both times they refused.
            We will never know for sure if we had pandemic H1N1 both times.But it was strange to have a flue like illness 2 times over 2 months, when it was out of regular flu season.

Comment

Not if they are using rapid test kits. Their accuracy not too good. "Compared to RT-PCR, the sensitivity of RIDTs for detecting novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infections ranged from 10-70%". http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/rapid_testing.htm

Comment

Deleted

Comment

I had the seasonal flu vaccine in January this year. I am in my mid fifties with the following underlying conditions: first degree AV block, a slightly leaky malformed mitral heart valve, and mild very occasional asthma. Vitamin D status in the 50's, BMI 21, physically active career working with dogs and people who travel very frequently. I live in the SE United States.

On 4/21 I became ill after inadvertent exposure to a client's illness following her return from Cancun. Started with runny nose, sore throat, progressed to GI upset & pain, wheezing, coughing, hot & cold, but never measured a fever, and leg cramps. This was over in about 6 days, but I did require treatment for asthma at my doctor's office afterward. We believe it was Pandemic flu.

On 6/4 I became ill after inadvertent exposure to a client's illness following her return from S. Cal. where both of her grandchildren ended up in the Emergency Rm diagnosed with a "viral illness." They were not tested for Pandemic flu, but had all of the symptoms and high fevers. Thankfully they recovered well, but my client became ill after boarding the 2nd leg of her flight in Las Vegas. She required constant help from the flight attendants due to her GI symptoms and episodes of syncope. Her sorrowful remark "I know I gave this to everyone on that plane." This time I had some fever for a day and a half as well as more respiratory involvement, & leg cramps again. As with the last illness, it started with a runny nose & mild sore throat. Some GI, but not as bad. I was left with an odd rash on my forehead and the backs of my elbows. I also needed treatment at the doctor's office afterwards for asthma. Inhalers just couldn't get it under control. We believe this was Pandemic flu.

On 7/19 my husband who had returned from a business trip to S. Cal. had a mild version which he kicked in 3 days. I also had a very mild rerun of symptoms. In addition, I had been taking care of my adult daughter and her toddler who had arrived just previously with fullblown symptoms more like my first illness. We believe this was Pandemic flu.

By now, I thought I had just been unlucky in catching variant IV from client 1 and Variant I from client 2 and was dealing with the immune consequences of original antigenic sin. Along in here, I started having blue lips, fingers, toes, and finally returned to the doctor to find out that I was dealing with pneumonia, bronchitis, and a sinus infection. I started on antibiotics for this. Dr. discussed my taking Tamiflu if it appeared I was starting to get this new version of flu again. She thought I still had viral activity in my system, but we agreed it was probably too late to take Tamiflu. Still had the rash.

End of August - I was out doing errands and suddenly felt ill. Made it home and went to bed achy, coughing, fever - this felt like the flu of old times! My vaccination must have kicked in because it was gone in a day and a half. Local University newspaper reported 2 students had confirmed Pandemic H1N1 and 2 others had confirmed type B flu. My daughter & her toddler called me to say that they had flu again, "but this is really different." They were very sick for 8 days. They had not had a seasonal vaccination. My grandson had a post flu sinus infection & ear infection. He also ended up in the emergency room another time here at the end with an allergy to ibuprofen and possibly amoxicillin, (I tried to warn her Snowy, but his fever kept going up near 105 and she & the doctors couldn't control it with tylenol alone - wouldn't try other measures).

September 9th started with sore throat, runny nose, and leg cramps - and I started Tamiflu!!! Worked beautifully. I did have a post flu sinus infection which was cleared with a z-pack. I feel great! I am gardening, walking dogs; heading off on a trip (in my private car to check on elderly parents). I do have flu phobia however. This whole summer was blown away, has cost a fortune, and I don't know whether I will catch this again. My doctor has loaded me up with Tamiflu, Relenza, and a z-pack. I know that I am fortunate to live in this part of the world where we have access to these medications. I am also fortunate to be able to afford them, but I feel like I'm using a lot more than my share.

Comment

Comment

My husband and I have noticed a strange flu anomaly between us this year. He's had the flu twice in our marriage, and I've had the flu once in our marriage (we've been married 22 years this year). I don't recall having the flu growing up, but assume I did at some point...

Anyway, I had a lab confirmed case of flu (not swine flu - I was positive for Type B) on March 30th of this year. I was given Tamiflu and the duration was shortened to about 3 days. My husband was sick the next week - but he tested negative for flu and positive for strep (I had tested positive for flu and negative for strep).

This was odd to both of us because we just don't sick often. Even odder? None of our three kids got sick - or their friends (all teens and we always seem to have a house full of kids!). I kept expecting it to 'run' through the family and it didn't.

Speed up to Labor Day...My husband got sick the day after Labor day. Tested negative for flu, positive for strep (twice in 6 months? very strange indeed). He he didn't feel like 'strep' at all - not much of a sore throat, but he was sick as a dog, with flu symptoms - i.e., lots of respiratory gunk, cough, body aches, and slept for a week. 4 days later, I got it. I went to the doctor and tested negative for strep, but didn't even get the flu swab because it meant going back into the 'sick' waiting area where all the ILI folks were and I didn't want to do that I too was sick for a straight week - with flu like symptoms.

Recovered....felt fine for a week, then woke up this morning with a sore throat, congestion, tired, all over again, fever (but low grade). What the heck?

Obviously that first round in the spring wasn't H1N1 for me, but still odd that I had the flu in the spring, had flu like illness again 3 weeks ago, and woke up today with ILI again.

Comment

"All exposed to H1N1 flu have developed antibodies: NIV study"

"Cross-Reactive Antibody Responses
                        to the 2009 Pandemic H1N1 Influenza Virus"

Last edited by Missouriwatcher; September 29, 2009, 05:28 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

NIV,India beats CDC ?

Pune gives serological data which NYC is still lacking.

what's one lakh ?

article is from 9.Sept.

here a followup from 14.Sept.

An exhaustive serological survey undertaken by the National Institute of Virology (NIV) has received a setback following reluctance of many parents to

Comment

And, yet another study out of China:
                            "Therefore, we suggest that vaccination against seasonal influenza, rather than exposure to older, seasonal, influenza viruses (H1N1), which may be
                            genetically and antigentically similar to pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus, as suggested, might have generated partial protection against this new virus."

lakh= 100,000

Also, "With an antibody concentration of 40 or more considered protective (immunologists describe antibody responses in terms of serum dilution ratios, such as 1:40), the tests showed that 100 percent of subjects born between 1910 and 1929 mounted antibody levels of 80 or more. Only 34 percent of subjects born before 1950 mounted comparable levels, suggesting that exposure to the 1918 pandemic virus or its immediate descendents in the 1920s and 1930s conferred the strongest protection against the new flu."
                            Last edited by Missouriwatcher; September 29, 2009, 06:25 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

or could it be that people were immune in USA through exposure to
                              classical swine virus or 1976-vax ?

Where the 1976 vax itself was/is more protective when there were
                              seasonal vaccinations or exposures before

Comment

Working...
                              X