Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Well, my husband appears to have Pandemic H1N1. I could test this theory and kiss him (since I had the Swine Vax in 76), but I think I'll pass.

Comment

can you test the theory whether it transmits by eating
      or whether eating flu even gives antibodies
      I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
      my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

I shared some of his food on Saturday (when he was definitely exhibiting signs) So, while I have another few days before I'm out of the woods, I may be lucky, or my old '76 vax may have helped. One other thing, I may have contracted flu in '57 (according to my mom, we had something quite powerful).

This is the CDC's answer as to if you can get ****again:
        Q: How long (one season or more) will immunity be effective from the H1N1 vaccine? Will this be an annual vaccine like the seasonal flu?

A: Influenza (flu) viruses change from year to year. You are unlikely to get infected with the same exact strain of influenza (flu) more than once. Most people with flu-like illness since spring 2009 don't know whether they were infected with 2009 H1N1 or another flu virus strain. If you think you had 2009 H1N1 infection, ask your doctor if you should be vaccinated. The only sure way to diagnose 2009 H1N1 infection is with real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR).

Q: If I’ve already had the H1N1 flu this year, can I get it again?

A: Please remember that the H1N1 virus is new and research is being conducted to better understand its characteristics. In addition, although data on H1N1 are scarce and this illness is still being studied, it is also important to know that flu viruses undergo frequent changes during an outbreak.

In general, exposure to a particular strain of flu virus will protect you against that strain in the future. However, it will not protect you from infection by other flu virus strains.

Please also note that it is possible for a person to be infected with the seasonal influenza (flu) virus more than one time in a season, because several strains of flu virus circulate each year.

Of course, you may be one of the UNLIKELY.
        Last edited by Missouriwatcher; September 30, 2009, 08:33 AM. Reason: answer to topic

Comment

Something with this atypical pneumo/broncho/tracheo-synus/.../ recurent infections in a world pandemic distributed virus phase 6,
          is stil very odd.

And the official public health org's hadn't give any loud clear explanation about, even 6 months after the main pand. appearance.

These recurrent infections of illnesses seems to be an recurrent fact on the fields, much more now then decades previously. Why?

Paraflu viruses / atypical pneumo / flu like viral illness / ... / - what's that, generic diagnoses?
          Where are the real agent diagnoses from the world fieldsabout these recur. events?

So, in this why-it-is-reccurent vaccum of an answer about this triple-species-quality flu virus pandemic,
          it could be made a joke with as saying:
          it is an triple reccurent infection, depending if you are invaded more by the pig, the bird, or the human quality of the virus when infected

Comment

Well, my duaghter and I returned from the doctor and for the second time I was diagnosed with Influenza A-H1N1 in a month.

The doctor with whom I spoke reported that my case is not the only one she's seen with possible re-infection, which has caused concern for both of us. We are both a part of the the local pandemic planning committee and you could be sure that it will be brought up then!! One of the explanations we considered was the first being H1N1 and the other being seasonal, WHO KNOWS!
            But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. -Poe

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

One theory I have been pondering over the last several days it that the fact that H1N1 is so new. It might take more than one time being infected to get full immunity. This could also be completely off. Just my opinion, though.

Comment

what CDC says above doesn't make sense to me.
                Flu doesn't change much during an outbreak

my theory: you are about half as likely to get it again
                each further infection halfs the likelyhood again
                odds are a bit worse for vaccine

Comment

So, how many times do I need to get it before I'd not need a vaccination EVER? What I believe the CDC is saying is that one would need to vaccinate each year for protection. BTW, I do think this is my husband's second round. The first being much more potent and lasting three times as long.

Interesting article: Is that Cough Swine Flu? Don't Ask the CDC
                  Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-..._b_304950.html

Comment

Hello all!
                    I believe we have had the SAME thing over and over again. We have been in California the past 2 weeks. The day before the flight, my 19 year olds rash came back again in the same place, on her chest, as well as the same sore throat, congestion and cough. This was the 4th time for her. She got a shot of decongestant and a course of antibiotics and kicked it again. There really is no doubt to me that is is the same exact thing as before. Seemed a little worse each time. Never a fever.
                    It reminds me of when there is a bacterial infection and you stop the antibiotics too soon and get sick again...only this is viral. So perhaps you do have to have it a few times to gain immunity.

I have been wondering if we would become ill from the 2nd wave happening here in Ca. if we were already exposed twice in Mexico...so far, so good!

Comment

Originally posted by Legadillo View Post
                      Well, my duaghter and I returned from the doctor and for the second time I was diagnosed with Influenza A-H1N1 in a month.

The doctor with whom I spoke reported that my case is not the only one she's seen with possible re-infection, which has caused concern for both of us. We are both a part of the the local pandemic planning committee and you could be sure that it will be brought up then!! One of the explanations we considered was the first being H1N1 and the other being seasonal, WHO KNOWS!
                      Could it be that 2009 H1N1 is mutating? I always thought that once you had a particular strain, you were immune - unless that strain mutates to something a bit different...then you would have partial immunity (i.e., maybe a milder case)?

So what is the simplest explanation here?

A) That you have had 2009 H1N1 aka "Swine Flu" AND seasonal H1N1 (even though surveillance doesn't show seasonal in any great numbers right now)?

or

B) Swine Flu has mutated just enough to cause reinfection - i.e., not the same strain you had previously, but also not the seasonal H1N1?

or

C) You are still shedding from the first round and that caused the positive test both times, but your symptoms right now are actually from something *else*?

Thoughts from our great community here?

Comment

Well, my son wanted to have it before his college test last week. I told him if he was going to get it, he might want to wait until finals week because it would be hard to call in SWINE FLU more than once. I wonder if that's why the numbers at colleges has decreased. http://www.acha.org/ILI_LatestWeek.cfm#chart_state

Comment

no mutations.

No wave 2 in New York yet, which was hit hardest in wave 1.

While Georgia,North Carolina,Texas ... (Southern USA + Mexico)
                          who now have it badly had not so much in wave 1

But maybe it just travels south-->north, other Northern
                          don't have much already either.

We'll see, whether New York City gets it again...

It also depends on the genetics, some people won't get it at all,
                          some multiple times.

There are several immune-systems:

Comment

Originally posted by Missouriwatcher View Post
                            Well, my son wanted to have it before his college test last week. I told him if he was going to get it, he might want to wait until finals week because it would be hard to call in SWINE FLU more than once. I wonder if that's why the numbers at colleges has decreased. http://www.acha.org/ILI_LatestWeek.cfm#chart_state
                            Until I saw your post I was just happily thinking that anyone that had it was immune I hope that it is still true for the most part. Even if there is a mutation, I think having it once will help you fight it.

On the other hand, nothing is 100% predictable with influenza - but this virus hasn't showed a highly mutative hand yet. We'll see!

RE: Your college son: I have two on campuses away from home (and a junior in HS still at home). My oldest son called today to tell me that 4 fraternity brothers of his (all living in the same frat house) have swine flu. 2 Confirmed positives for Type A, 2 just got sick today and haven't been tested yet. 1 is so sick he's no longer at campus and has gone home to Mom and Dad. He spent the entire day yesterday with one of the kids that tested positive this morning. Joy, Joy....blah!

He said "I know why this is happening now - it got cold here the last two nights, Mom!" (He's in Hattiesburg, MS which is still normally warm this time of year).

Told him all the usual stuff, and then added in he needed to get his butt outside and sit in the sun today (it's 75 out there and not a cloud in the sky he said)!

He noted that he has midterms starting Friday and he didn't need to miss any so he was really worried that he had been exposed yesterday.

Mississippi had an earlier "peak" as did Georgia and Alabama. Will be interesting to see if the counts start to rise again now that we have this first cold front through!

Comment

We were never tested, but I had 4 bouts and the hubby had 3 over the past few months.

Niether of us ever had a fever, even though we felt feverish and had horrible bone-chills. Endless headache, sore throat off and on, dizziness, bone and muscle aches and extremely tired.

For us, each time it was a bit milder. We both took tamiflu the first time and hubby took it again the second time. He has heart problems so we didn't want to take unnecessary risks.

Since we weren't tested, I can't say for certain that it was H1N1, but it was off-season for flu, felt like flu and we'd both had our seasonal flu and pneumonia vax last winter.

It seems that many folks are getting it over and over again.
                              "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                              "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

It will be interesting to see if the VAX will be enough to prevent contraction or reinfection.

Comment

Working...
                                X