AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-17

Throughout the MHS, the proportion of outpatient visits due to Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) increased substantially for all regions in Week 52 (through 29 December 2012); such increase is higher than previous seasons for all regions except in PACOM, where the ILI proportion is similar to previous seasons.

Influenza activity is at moderate levels across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, except in Europe where the activity remains low; sites reported variable co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.

The influenza vaccination coverage for the DoD (Active Duty component only) is 93%.

Reportable medical event data will be available at a later date.

DOD Laboratories/Partners (Weeks 50-52; through 29 December 2012):
    Europe: Low influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H3 and B (USEUCOM).
    Southeast Asia: Moderate influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B (AFRIMS).
    North Africa: Moderate influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B (NAMRU-3).
    East Africa: Moderate influenza activity with circulation of influenza A/H3 only (USAMRU-K).
    Central Africa: Moderate influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H3 and B (USAMRU-K).
    South America: Moderate influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B (NAMRU-6).

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-1

Week 1:
    A substantial increase of outpatient visits due to ILI among non-Service members was observed in the United States. Throughout the MHS, increased incidence rates of Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) and Pneumonia & Influenza (P&I) were observed for all regions in Week 1 (through 5 January 2013).

Influenza activity is at moderate levels across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, except in Europe where the activity remains low; sites reported variable co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.

The influenza vaccination coverage for the DoD (Active Duty component only) is 95%. Preliminary findings from CDC and USAFSAM indicate that there is a good match between the circulating strains and the current vaccine.

Influenza Surveillance and Vaccine Effectiveness in the DoD 2011 – 2012
    located at the above link

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-2

In Week 2 (through 12 January 2013), the percents of all outpatient visits due to Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) and Pneumonia & Influenza (P&I) have decreased across all regions except for outpatient visits due to ILI among Service Members in the EUCOM and PACOM regions. Higher incidence rates of ILI and P&I were observed since Week 47 among unvaccinated Service Members compared to vaccinated Service Members in the U.S.

Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity is at moderate levels with slightly increased influenza activity in Europe compared to last week; sites reported variable co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.

The influenza vaccination coverage for the DoD (Active Duty component only) is 95%.

DoD Laboratories/Partners (Weeks 52-2; through 12 January 2013):
      Europe: Moderate influenza activity with circulation of influenza A/H3 only (USEUCOM).
      Southeast Asia: Moderate influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H3 and B (AFRIMS).
      North Africa: Moderate influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B (NAMRU-3).
      Central Africa: Moderate influenza activity with circulation of influenza B only (USAMRU-K).
      South America: Moderate influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H3 and B (NAMRU-6).

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-3

In Week 3 (through 19 January 2013), Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) incidence rates decreased from last week for all populations except among PACOM unvaccinated. The percents of all outpatient visits due to ILI and Pneumonia & Influenza (P&I) were at or below previous seasons except for US Other Beneficiary (dependents) ILI percents, which remain elevated. Influenza activity among inpatient populations remained elevated; the majority of positive inpatient cases occurred in the dependent population.
        Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity is at moderate levels except in East Africa, where influenza activity remains low; sites reported variable co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.
        The influenza vaccination coverage for the DoD (Active Duty component only) is 96%.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-4

In Week 4 (through 26 January 2013), Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) and Pneumonia & Influenza (P&I) incidence rates decreased for the majority of US and PACOM populations. The proportions of all outpatient visits due to ILI and P&I continued to increase this week, except for P&I visits among US Other Beneficiaries (dependents) and PACOM populations.
          Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity is at moderate levels except in East Africa, where influenza activity remains low; sites reported variable co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.
          The influenza vaccination coverage for the DoD (Active Duty component only) is 96%.

Electronic Surveillance
          The percent of all outpatient visits due to ILI continued or began to increase this week after a drop in percents during
          weeks 2 or 3 for all regions and populations. Percents continued to be above previous season percents for US and
          EUCOM populations.

The percent of all outpatient visits due to P&I increased slightly this week for US Service Members and all EUCOM
          populations and decreased slightly among US Other Beneficiaries and all PACOM populations. Percents were above
          baseline and previous seasons percents for EUCOM and remained at or below baseline and previous seasons for the US
          and PACOM.

This season, there have been 103 reportable medical event (RME) influenza cases among service members (77% were
          vaccinated)
          ; an additional 188 cases were reported among other beneficiaries.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-5

In Week 5 (through 2 February 2013), Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) and Pneumonia & Influenza (P&I) incidence rates increased substantially in unvaccinated active duty members in PACOM. The proportion of outpatient visits due to ILI decreased in the US but continued to increase in EUCOM and PACOM. The proportion of outpatient visits due to P&I decreased for most regions but remained elevated in EUCOM compared to previous seasons.

Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity has decreased in Central and East Africa but remained at moderate levels with variable co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B across all sites.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-6

In Week 6 (through 9 February 2013), Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) in the US and in PACOM decreased; Pneumonia & Influenza (P&I) incidence rates decreased in the US but increased in PACOM among Service Members (SMs). Overall, the incidence of influenza-related RME has decreased since Week 2.

Influenza activity varied from low to moderate levels across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network except in Europe, where high level of influenza activity was detected with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-7

In Week 7 (through 16 February 2013), Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) and Pneumonia & Influenza (P&I) incidence rates decreased in all regions. The proportion of all outpatient visits due to ILI increased and is well-above baseline in EUCOM non-active duty beneficiaries.

Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity varied from low to moderate levels except in Europe and Southeast Asia, where high levels of influenza activity were detected with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-8

In Week 8 (through 23 February 2013), Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) and Pneumonia & Influenza (P&I) incidence rates continued to decrease in the US, but increased in EUCOM and PACOM. Among EUCOM service members, the proportion of outpatient visits due to P&I remained above both baseline rates and previous season rates.
                  Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity varied from low to moderate levels except in Europe, where high levels of influenza activity were detected with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.
                  The influenza vaccination coverage for the DoD (Active Duty component only) is 97%.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-9

Week 9 (through 02 March 2013), ILI and Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) incidence rates continued to decrease in all regions. Percents continued to be above previous season for all populations except Service members in the US and PACOM.
                    Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity varied from low to moderate levels except in Europe, where high levels of influenza activity were detected with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.
                    Current influenza vaccine coverage data unavailable for this report, previously reported at 97%.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-10

In Week 10 (through 09 March 2013), ILI and Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) incidence rates continued to decrease or remain the same in all regions this week. Percents of outpatient visits due to ILI continued to be above previous season percents for all populations except US Service members and PACOM other beneficiaries.
                      Current vaccine coverage in the active component of the U.S. Armed Forces is 97%.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-11

In Week 11 (through 16 March 2013), ILI and Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) incidence rates continued to decrease in all regions except PACOM where P&I rates increased slightly. This season, there have been 269 reportable medical event (RME) influenza cases among service members (81.8% were vaccinated); an additional 301 cases were reported among other beneficiaries.

Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity were at low levels except in Europe, where high levels of influenza activity were detected with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.

Current vaccine coverage in the active component of the U.S. Armed Forces is 97%.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-12

In Week 12 (through 23 March 2013), ILI and Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) incidence rates continued to decrease in all regions except ILI unvaccinated rates in EUCOM, which increased this week. This season, there have been 295 reportable medical event (RME) influenza cases among service members (82.0% were vaccinated); an additional 311 cases have been reported among other beneficiaries.
                          Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity was at low levels except in Europe, where moderate levels of influenza activity were detected with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-13

Week 13:
                            ILI incidence rates continued to trend downward for all regions. Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) incidence rates continue to decrease in the US, but increased slightly this week for EUCOM and PACOM. This season, there have been 298 reportable medical event (RME) influenza cases among service members (82.2% were vaccinated); an additional 318 cases were reported among other beneficiaries.
                            Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity was at low levels.
                            As of 26 March 2013, vaccine coverage in the active component of the U.S. Armed Forces is 97%.

Comment

Re: AFHSC 2012-13 Season: Weeks 52-15

Week 15:

AFHSC is monitoring the current status of the H7N9 influenza outbreak in China. More information will be presented as it becomes available.
                              ILI and Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) incidence rates continued to trend downward for all regions. This season, there have been 305 reportable medical event (RME) influenza cases among service members (82.6% were vaccinated); an additional 325 cases were reported among other beneficiaries.
                              Across the overseas DoD laboratory surveillance network, influenza activity was at low levels.
                              As of 26 March 2013, vaccine coverage in the active component of the U.S. Armed Forces is 97%.

Europe: Low influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B (PHCR-Europe).
                              Southeast Asia: Low activity with circulation of influenza AH1 and A/H3 only (AFRIMS, NAMRU-2).
                              North Africa: Low influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H1, A/H3, and B (NAMRU-3).
                              Central Africa: Low influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza B and pH1N1 (USAMRU-K).
                              East Africa: Low influenza activity with circulation of influenza A/H3 only (USAMRU-K).
                              South America: Low influenza activity with co-circulation of influenza A/H1 and A/H3, and B (NAMRU-6).

Comment

Working...
                              X