• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 2000+ cases, 21 fatalities

Source: http://af.reuters.com/article/topNew...72H0IR20110318

Cholera epidemic kills 60 in Ghana
    Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:34pm GMT

ACCRA (Reuters) - A cholera epidemic in Ghana has killed 60 people and infected almost 4,000 since the first cases emerged last September, with 482 new cases reported this week alone, health authorities said on Friday.

The outbreak, which started in centre of the West African country and spread to four regions, has hit the capital Accra the worst, said Joseph Amankwah of the Ghana Health Service...

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 2000+ cases, 21 fatalities

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:15am
      Cholera epidemic: Death toll now 61, with 4,000 cases

The Ghana Health Service says over 4,000 cholera cases with 61 deaths have been recorded since the outbreak of the epidemic in the latter part of 2010.

Officials of the Disease Surveillance Unit at the Ghana Health Service say the situation is worrying and needs urgent attention.

Cholera cases reported at various health facilities across the country particularly in the Accra Metropolis keeps increasing by the day.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 2000+ cases, 44 fatalities

Source: http://www.ghananewsagency.org/s_hea...lera-infection

Greater Accra leads cholera infection
        March 22, 2011

Accra, March 22, GNA - Out of the recorded 4, 586 cases and 64 deaths recorded from the cholera outbreak in the country since September 2010, the Greater Accra Region is leading with 2, 756 cases and 31 deaths.

This had been attributed to the high rate of filth generated in Accra coupled with the perennial flooding and the sale of contaminated food in the city.

Mr Joseph Yieleh Chireh, Minister of Health who was addressing the media after an inspection of some health facilities where some patients are on admission in Accra on Tuesday, cited the Upper East, Eastern and the Central regions as the other regions which had been hit by the epidemic.

He asked people who suspected that they were catching the infection to seek early treatment since treatment is free...

Comment

Cholera cases reported at Koforidua Regional Hospital decreasingPage last updated at Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:10 AM // Leave Your Comment The daily cases reported at the Koforidua Regional Hospital has decreased from an average of over 20 cases per day about a week ago to five cases currently.

As at Tuesday, March 22, the hospital had recorded a total of 145 cases with one death.

The daily cases reported at the Koforidua Regional Hospital has decreased from an average of over 20 cases per day about a week ago to five cases currently. As at Tuesday, March 22, the hospital had recorded a total of 145 cases with one death. The rest had been treated and discharged and at the […]
          The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Source: http://gbcghana.com/index.php?id=1.340472

6000 cholera cases recorded nationwide
            About 5,614 cholera cases with 69 deaths have been recorded nationwide by the Ghana Health Service (GHS).

Of the number, 380 are recorded in the 12 Municipalities and districts in the Eastern Region.

The Regional Disease Control Officer, Emelia Okai disclosed this to GBC?s Radio Ghana in Koforidua.

She said New Juaben has the highest number of 228 cases followed by Akwapim South with 61 cases. Mrs. Okai said Birim Central recorded 33 cases while Kwaebibrem District has one.

She attributed the outbreak to poor environmental hygiene and advised the public to keep their surroundings clean.

GBC NEWS

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 2000+ cases, 52 fatalities

Ghana: Doctors fear coming rains will fuel cholera
              Thursday, March 31, 2011By IRIN

Health officials in Ghana are worried the rainy season, due to start in April, will fuel the spread of cholera, which has killed at least 69 people and stricken more than 5,000 in the past few months.

Five of Ghana?s 10 regions are affected, with Accra seeing the highest number of deaths to date - 36.

While Ghana has not pinpointed the source of the cholera bacterium, top health officials say poor sanitation systems and hygiene habits - including open defecation - are largely to blame for the epidemic, which they say is the worst in a decade. Authorities say it is time to crack down on open defecation, irregular rubbish collection and unhygienic food stands.

Cholera 'swallows' Accra
              Source: Nathaniel Y. Yankson - Ghanaian ChronicleHealth | 7 hours ago
              Current statistical data on the cholera outbreak in the Greater Accra Region indicates that 4,190 cases had been recorded, with 36 deaths.

The breakdown shows the Accra Metropolis is leading with 3,207 cholera cases and 33 deaths, while the Ga East district comes second with 473 reported cases and one death. Others include Ga South, with 119 cases and one death; Ga West, 253 cases and one death.

Adentan, Ledzorkuku Krowor and Tema, recorded 38, 62 and 28 cases respectively, with no deaths.

Furthermore, the Dangbe West district had 6 cases, followed by Ashaiman with three cases, while the Dangbe East district, recorded only one case.

Comment

Cholera kills six people in Gomoa East District

Gomoa Obuase (C/R), April 2, GNA - Forty-one cases of cholera has been reported in the Gomoa East District with six deaths. Mr Benjamin Dadson, District Disease Control Officer who announced this to newsmen at Gomoa Obuase near Agona Swedru in the Central Region said the deaths occurred due to late reporting of patients at health facilities.

Gomoa Obuase (C/R), April 2, GNA - Forty-one cases of cholera has been reported in the Gomoa East District with six deaths. Mr Benjamin Dadson, District Disease Control Officer who announced this to newsmen at Gomoa Obuase near Agona Swedru in the...

Comment

Cholera cases in Koforidua declining
                  Page last updated at Friday, April 8, 2011 7:07 AM //

He said the Regional Hospital now records an average of four cases daily as compared to 20 cases recorded daily at the outbreak of the disease in mid Marchr.

Cholera cases in the New Juaben Municipality are now declining, Dr Daniel Asare, the Medical Director of the Koforidua Regional Hospital, said on Thursday. He said the Regional Hospital now records an average of four cases daily as compared to 20 cases recorded daily at the outbreak of the disease in mid Marchr. Dr. Asare […]

Comment

Ghana: Accra Resorts to Sanitation Laws in War On Cholera
                    Francis Kokutse
                    4 April 2011

Accra ? As Ghana's health authorities battle with a cholera outbreak that has so far killed about 70 people, officials in Accra have started arresting those found defecating in unapproved places.

Last year, city officials told all landlords to provide toilets in their buildings, but this does not seem to have been adhered to as private and public toilets have sprang up across the city.

Accra regional minister Nii Armah Ashitey has now ordered the authorities "to vigorously enforce the sanitation by-laws."

As Ghana's health authorities battle with a cholera outbreak that has so far killed about 70 people, officials in Accra have started arresting those found defecating in unapproved places.

Comment

Cholera outbreak declinesPage last updated at Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:07 AM // Leave Your Comment The recent outbreak of cholera, which hit four regions in the country, claiming about 94 lives, has subsided with Greater Accra Region still being an active site for few recorded cases.

Greater Accra Region, last week recorded 103 new cases but stool samples examined at the National Public Health Reference Laboratory at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, were tested negative for cholera bacteria.

?This indicates that we may be dealing with ordinary diarrhea cases. If during the course of this week stool samples collected from patients do not present with classical signs and symptoms of diarrhea from cholera turn out to be negative, we will be confident that the current outbreak had contained in the region as well,? Mr Joseph Robert Mettle-Nunoo, Deputy Minister of Health, said in Accra on Tuesday.

The recent outbreak of cholera, which hit four regions in the country, claiming about 94 lives, has subsided with Greater Accra Region still being an active site for few recorded cases. Greater Accra Region, last week recorded 103 new cases but stool samples examined at the National Public Health Reference Laboratory at the Korle-Bu Teaching […]

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 6000+ cases, 76 fatalities

2 Killed In Fresh Cholera Outbreak
                        Source: Daily Guide - Daily GuideHealth | 11 hours ago

THE MOREE Health Center in the Abura-Asebu-Kwamankese (AAK) District of the Central region has recorded 66 fresh cases of cholera with two deaths.

Barely three months ago, DAILY GUIDE reported that the Central Regional Health Directorate had recorded 555 cases of cholera and 21 deaths since the beginning of the outbreak.

John K. Essel, the Technical Officer in charge of Disease Control at Moree told the paper in an interview Friday that the pandemic started during the latter part of June when two cases were recorded but has since increased to 66.

He added that his outfit is still recording more cases and by the time DAILY GUIDE was leaving the hospital, a nuclear family of three which included a one year old boy was said to have been admitted there for treatment against cholera.

Communities in the area affected by cholera include Alata, Nkum, Bentsir, Kuwait, Essarmu, Apeowsika, Akonoma, Amosima and its surrounding areas.

Giving the breakdown, Mr. Essel said seven children under the age of five, 53 people above the age five and one pregnant woman had been infected by cholera.

From Desmond K. Dapaah, Moree

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 6000+ cases, 78 fatalities

More cholera deaths rise to three

July 14, GNA- Three cholera related deaths have been recorded at the Moree Health centre in the Abura-Asebu-Kwamankese (AAK) district, the latest being a two-year old boy who died on admission, on Thursday morning.

In an interview with the Ghana News Agency, Mr. John Essel, the District Disease Control Officer said that the Health Centre has since June 22, recorded 89 cases including 43 females with two people still on admission. All the three victims of the disease are males. He said of the 89 cases only two were from Amosima near Asebu with the rest from the Moree Town, particularly Alata, a suburb of Moree.

Moree (C/R), July 14, GNA- Three cholera related deaths have been recorded at the Moree Health centre in the Abura-Asebu-Kwamankese (AAK) district, the latest being a two-year old boy who died on admission, on Thursday morning.

Comment

Three die in cholera outbreak at Agona Nyakrom

Agona Swedru, July 17, GNA - Three people have been reported dead from cholera at Agona Nyakrom in the Agona West Municipality of the Central Region following the outbreak of the disease last week.

Mr Andy Afari, Deputy Agona West Municipal Environmental Health and Sanitation Officer, made this known to the Ghana News Agency in an interview at Agona Swedru on Saturday.

He said a number of people had also been treated and discharged at the Nyakrom health facility and Agona Swedru Government Hospital.

Agona Swedru, July 17, GNA - Three people have been reported dead from cholera at Agona Nyakrom in the Agona West Municipality of the Central Region following the outbreak of the disease last week.

Comment

Western Region cholera claims two lives
                              Source: myjoyonline - Myjoyonline.com
                              General News | 3 hours ago

Two people have been reported dead in new cases of cholera outbreak in the Western Region.

The dead included a six year old, Deputy Western Regional Director of Health Services Dr. Kweku Karikari confirmed to Joy News, adding, fifty other cases have been detected with the patients receiving treatment.

Dr Karikari said the cholera outbreak started in June this year in the Ahanta West District and has been sporadic, ever since.

Comment

Re: Ghana - Cholera outbreaks in 2011; 6000+ cases, 80+ fatalities

Cholera outbreak suspected at Atebubu-Amantin District
                                14th August 2011

Atebubu (B/A), Aug. 14, GNA ? The Atebubu-Amantin District Directorate of Ghana Health Service says it suspects the outbreak of cholera in the district following increasing diarrhoea cases reported at health facilities.

A man believed to be in his 50s recently died of the disease in the area.

Mr Ramseyer Ahmed, Atebubu-Amantin District Disease Control Officer disclosed this at Atebubu at the celebration of Brong-Ahafo Regional Schools Festival of Arts and Culture.

Mr Ahmed announced that from January to August this year, a total number of 814 diarrhoea cases had been recorded by the health directorate.

Comment

Working...
                                X