• Norwich Diocese: Adjustments To (AH1N1) To Be Made At Discretion Of Church

Source: http://www.wfsb.com/health/19347755/detail.html

H1N1 Has Churches Changing Practices
    Diocese: Adjustments To Be Made At Discretion Of Church

POSTED: 8:09 pm EDT May 1, 2009
    UPDATED: 8:14 pm EDT May 1, 2009
    H1N1 Has Churches Changing Practices
    Diocese: Adjustments To Be Made At Discretion Of Church

NORWICH, Conn. -- The possibility of spreading the H1N1 influenza virus has sparked a letter to parishioners from the Diocese of Norwich, telling the parishioners to be cautious about how germs could spread while conducting masses.

"If you're not feeling particularly well, this would be a good time to stay home," said Michael Stramiello, of the Diocese of Norwich.

During mass many parish communities hold hands while saying The Lord's Prayer.

"So I think we would encourage each other now that, perhaps, we not do that for the moment," Stramiello said.

He said the handshake during the sign of peace could also be substituted with an acknowledgement of those around you in church.

As for the priests and the celebrants, they are advised to thoroughly wash their hands before and after communion.

Those receiving communion may also want to receive the bread in their hands and forego taking a sip of wine from the chalice Stramiello said.

These changes may last until national health leaders say the threat of the H1N1 virus has passed.

Parishoners said they have mixed feelings about the suggestions.

"I'm hoping it's not forced upon me," said Carmella Turner, of St. Patrick's Cathedral. "I'd rather not receive communion in the hand."

"I think the people will be happy they're making changes, and they don't want to be the first one not to do anything," St. Patrick's Cathedral parishioner Agnes Gardner said.

The suggestions are all at the discretion of individual pastors, the diocese said.
Working...
X