Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Swine Flu Death in Arizona - 13-year-old boy

First swine flu death in Pima County

Tucson, Arizona - May 20, 2009 - A "medically compromised" 13-year-old male has succumbed to complications of the H1N1 virus. The confirmed test results were received today from the Arizona Department of Health Services.

The young man was hospitalized on Sunday, May 10 and passed away on Friday, May 15, 2009. There was no indication of a travel history. His family members, who were also ill with the virus, have recovered with the exception of one sibling who is currently hospitalized.

"Our prevention message remains the same," said Dr. Michelle McDonald, Chief Medical Officer for the Pima County Health Department. "First and foremost, stay home if you're sick. Now that school is out for the summer, please keep sick kids home from the sitter or summer programs. Wash your hands frequently, and be sure to cover coughs and sneezes," McDonald advised.

The current confirmed case count for Pima County is now at 87 with ongoing monitoring of virus activity by the Health Department. The signs and symptoms continue to model seasonal flu - fever, chills, headache, upper respiratory tract symptoms (cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath), body aches, fatigue, vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Re: USA: 6 d?c?s et possiblement un 7e, un 8e, un 9e

PIMA COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT

3950 S. COUNTRY CLUB, Ste. 100
    �� TUCSON, AZ 85714

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact Information:
    Patti Woodcock
    Community Relations Manager
    Desk – 520.243.7701
    Cell – 520.940.0194
    PIMA COUNTY RECORDS FIRST DEATH
    FROM INFLUENZA A/H1N1 VIRUS

Tucson, Arizona – May 20, 2009 – The Pima County Health Department has been notified that a medically compromised 13 year old male has succumbed to complications of the H1N1 virus.

The confirmed test results were received today from the Arizona Department of Health Services.
    The young man was hospitalized on Sunday, May 10 and passed away on Friday, May 15, 2009.
    There was no indication of a travel history. His family members, who were also ill with the virus, have recovered with the exception of one sibling who is currently hospitalized.

“Our prevention message remains the same,” said Dr. Michelle McDonald, Chief Medical Officer for the Pima County Health Department. “First and foremost, stay home if you’re sick. Now that school is out for the summer, please keep sick kids home from the sitter or summer
    programs. Wash your hands frequently, and be sure to cover coughs and sneezes,” McDonald advised.

The current confirmed case count for Pima County is now at 87 with ongoing monitoring of virus activity by the Health Department. The signs and symptoms continue to model seasonal flu – fever, chills, headache, upper respiratory tract symptoms (cough, sore throat, runny nose,
    shortness of breath), body aches, fatigue, vomiting and/or diarrhea.

For more information, log onto www.pimahealth.org., or sign up to receive immediate public health alerts from the Health Department via Twitter.

Go to www.myalerts.mystateusa.com to register for emergency messages and other vital public safety information. This free service is provided through a regional collaborative effort from your emergency management and homeland defense agencies.

# # #

Comment

A 13 year old Pima County, AZ boy died of H1N1

Tucson teen is Ariz.'s 3rd swine flu fatality

May. 20, 2009 03:50 PM
      Associated Press

TUCSON - Pima County health officials say a 13-year-old boy from Tucson has become the third person in Arizona to die with swine flu.

A spokeswoman says the teenager, a Tucson middle school student, died Friday of complications from the flu. He had been hospitalized May 10.

The Arizona Department of Health Services confirmed test results.

Spokeswoman Patti Woodcock says an older sibling is hospitalized with the virus, and other family members have recovered from the flu.

A Maricopa County woman was the first Arizonan to die with the flu virus about two weeks ago. The second fatality was a 57-year-old Pinal County woman who died last week.

Comment

Re: 3rd Swine Flu Death in Arizona - 13-year-old boy

Does anyone have a link to the thread discussing the mutations seen in the AZ strain as I remember there were discussions about it being the same as the early Mexican strains.

Comment

Muscade, Thanks but I was thinking about the thread with gsgs, Dr. Niman, etc where they were discussing the virus mutations seen there.

Comment

Is this that one?

Comment

Re: A 13 year old Pima County, AZ boy died of H1N1

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6556065

According to the family, the boy had sleep apnea.

I'll leave the comments to others.
              Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Attempting to blog an nascent pandemic: Diary of a Flu Year

Comment

Sleep apnea is not solely a condition of the obese, and obese people do not universally suffer from sleep apnea. I am obese and have a sleep disorder but I have only very mild sleep apnea (no more than is considered an average number of incidences). In my case, I have very large tonsils that block my airflow, causing excessive and very loud snoring. This is currently treated via CPAP.

I don't think using obesity as a blanket for an underlying condition is really that helpful. Although I am obese I am actually in pretty good health. I do not have diabetes (though I am predisposed due to family history), my blood pressure is good (predisposed though due to family history). I have no diagnosed conditions that can really be related to my weight. I am not saying I am in tip-top shape, but rather that I am in pretty decent health.
                Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Comment

Originally posted by wotan View Post
                  http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6556065

According to the family, the boy had sleep apnea.

I'll leave the comments to others.
                  This is ANOTHER death (21M in Utah).

Comment

The article that was linked, was to the Utah 21 year old, not the AZ 13 year old.

FYI, I have sleep apnea and I am not overweight. My friend's father also has it and he is actually underweight. Unless an article explicitly states someone is obese, people shouldn't make assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmom View Post
                      The article that was linked, was to the Utah 21 year old, not the AZ 13 year old.

FYI, I have sleep apnea and I am not overweight. My friend's father also has it and he is actually underweight. Unless an article explicitly states someone is obese, people shouldn't make assumptions.

Please forgive me I meant no offense it was poor attempt at sarcasm

As to the lengths our Public Health Authorities are going to attribute a "chronic health condition" to the death, to keep up their "this is no worse than the Seasonal Flu" argument.

Comment

Woops. I thought I saw it was the boy in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                        X