Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: H5N1 cleavage sites

Originally posted by Mingus
    The cleavage site is the red button that allow the virus to "shoot his gene" inside our cells.
    A high pathogenic cleavage site like the one H5N1 have will be more "sensible" than a low path does.

Thank you. Next stupid question. Do these new sequences lead one to believe that things are getting better, or do they indicate "bad things".

nawty

Comment

Now with the updates from Dr. Niman's posts - Again thanks.

Got any more sites anyone?

After reading post #11 I searched for Mongolian bird sequences and also found this cleavage site IETR in
      (DQ659326 A/Whooping swan/Mongolia/244/2005 H5N1)
      and it also occurs in
      (DQ659327 A/Bar headed goose/Qinghai/1A/2005 H5N1)

I have not added it to the table as I assumed it is a LP site, does anyone know?

Now we seem to be getting more human sequences has anyone found a reliable way of linking them back to case histories (In most cases I have guessed based on the sequence no.). It would be nice to try and link the Accession No. to the numbering system in the online human database have worked so hard on. In the event of increasing cluster size, changes in virulence or drug resistance we obviously need to know what samples to look at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cleavage.bmp
Views:	1
Size:	935.0 KB
ID:	647711
      Last edited by Snowy Owl; August 23, 2006, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NawtyBits
        Thank you. Next stupid question. Do these new sequences lead one to believe that things are getting better, or do they indicate "bad things".

nawty
        The cleavage site is only one little area on one strand of RNA (although it is very important bit). The RERRRKKR site, and all the variants in the table are associated with high virulence, the LP strains tend to have shorter sites. (see this thread for a discussion on cleavage http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3901). Mingus posts a paper (post #40) which shows that a single change can be engineered to turn on and off a function in one strain (in vitro) but it is dangerous to extrapolate as performing the same change on another strain did not replicate the effect. Changes at some sites have known effects (e.g. E119V, R292K, H274Y, and R152K on the NA strand effect Tamiflu resistance & 5 sites on M are involved with resistance to the ion pump blockers). Interaction between changes on different stands - or different parts of the same strand - are poorly understood (again see the linked thread for a discussion on the role of NA in sequestering proteases aiding HA cleavage).
        Last edited by JJackson; August 8, 2006, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X