No announcement yet.

Indiana/Ohio: Two Siblings Die of Swine Flu, ages 19 & 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indiana/Ohio: Doctors investigating mysterious death of man and critical illness of his sister

Mindy McIntosh Still Critical
    Posted at 7:35 am on Thursday, July 9, 2009 by Mike Perleberg
    (Cincinnati, OH) - A Moores Hill woman is still fighting for her life against a mystery disease.
    Mindy McIntosh, 26, has been hospitalized with the same unknown illness that claimed her 19-year-old brother Matt�??s life last Sunday.

Mindy remained in critical care at University Hospital in Cincinnati on Wednesday.

The Indiana State Department of Health, who are involved with the investigation into what caused the siblings to become so sick, has been tight-lipped and not commented after a number of calls made by Eagle 99.3

The McIntosh family has told reporters that they do not believe the disease - whatever it is - is contagious.

An autopsy is being performed on Matt McIntosh's body to give doctors clues about what killed him and what is ailing his sister with the same symptoms.

Matt's memorial services begin today. Visitation for friends and family will be held at the Emanuel Lutheran Church from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. The funeral is at the church on Friday morning.

http://www.eaglecountryonline.com/ne..._from=&ucat=2&

Comment

Re: Indiana/Ohio: Doctors investigating mysterious death of man and critical illness of his sister

Originally posted by Rwilmer View Post

The McIntosh family has told reporters that they do not believe the disease - whatever it is - is contagious.

You have four cases, with no common exposure. The only common exposure is to an ill Matt. And the onset dates spread over more than two weeks (Matt ill before 6/27, Kristine ill on 7/5, and the father ill later).

THIS IS CONTAGIOUS, and I suspect the doctors know it.

Comment

local 12 tv station has nothing today.

Comment

That one TV station report did say that the hospital told them that Mindy tested positive for influenza A - I can't imagine someone just made that up. And then after that everyone clammed up and referred all questions to the Indiana Dept. of Health. I think the silence speaks volumes.

There have been recent outbreaks of flu in the Cincinnati area - including at a summer camp - so it's around.

And why isn't the Cincinnati newspaper reporting on this?

Comment

It could be a false positive. But this is likely Pandemic H1N1. I would feel better if I knew that Kristine and Matt's father both had mild cases and were recovering. It is possible to have two severe cases together just by coincidence, but if three or four severe cases cluster, then something is wrong.

Also, the symptom of coughing up blood is unusual. I don't remember that being reported from any H1N1 patient (or any 1918 or H5N1 patient for that matter).

Comment

Skinny" Remembered; Sister Remains In Hospital
              Posted at 8:14 am on Friday, July 10, 2009 by Mike Perleberg
              (Greendale, IN) - Friends and family gathered yesterday to remember a young man who died too soon.
              Matt "Skinny" McIntosh, Moores Hill, died last Sunday of a disease that doctors are still baffled by.

Nearly 200 people attended his emotional visitation at Emanuel Lutheran Church in Greendale. Mourners looked through scrapbooks and wore T-shirts bearing his band's name "Strange on Display." The drummer's kit was set up in the church.

The 19-year-old's former band mates Mike Dittmer and Jimmy Wenstrup were pleased to see all the support at Matt's memorial.

"He touched a whole lot of lives and he's going to continue to do that," said Mike.

"He inspired a lot of people," Jimmy said.

The trio formed the band back in the summer of 2004 when they were in 8th grade.

The funeral for Matt McIntosh starts at 11:00 this morning at Emanuel Lutheran Church.

Jimmy, Mike, and other friends will try to keep the beat of Matt's life going with a benefit this Saturday, July 11. It will be at 2:00 p.m. at the White Crane Building in Dillsboro.

"(Proceeds) will go for funeral expenses I believe and hospital costs," said Jimmy.

"Anything more that they make after that they are going to try and put together some sort of scholarship in Matt's name or something like that to help younger musicians kind of get a leg up," said Mike.

Jimmy and Mike say they may play at the benefit if they feel up to it.

Meanwhile, Matt's sister Melinda McIntosh, 26, remains sedated at University of Cincinnati Hospital. Her mother, Katrina, said Thursday that although she remains in critical condition there are signs of encouragement.

"Things are looking a little better, but she's still pretty bad," said Katrina. "We've got to take it a day at a time."

The illness that claimed Matt and has Melinda fighting for her life is still a mystery. Katrina said an autopsy has been done on Matt's body but she had not seen the results yet.

The Indiana State Department of Health is involved with the investigation into what caused Matt and Melinda to become so ill.

Photo Source: Mike Perleberg

Comment

VIDEO: Band Mates Remember Drummer
                Posted at 11:12 am on Friday, July 10, 2009 by Mike Perleberg
                It was an emotional time as friends and family gathered to reflect on the life of Matt "Skinny" McIntosh on Thursday.

Follow link to video: http://tiny.cc/qfwtF

Comment

Originally posted by alert View Post
                  It could be a false positive. But this is likely Pandemic H1N1. I would feel better if I knew that Kristine and Matt's father both had mild cases and were recovering. It is possible to have two severe cases together just by coincidence, but if three or four severe cases cluster, then something is wrong.

Also, the symptom of coughing up blood is unusual. I don't remember that being reported from any H1N1 patient (or any 1918 or H5N1 patient for that matter).
                  There are almost zero false positives on flu tests - a false negative is much, much more likely.

And, yes, there have been a few very severe H1N1 cases with coughing up blood - the most recent I can think of is that little girl in the UK who passed away a few days ago.

This is purely my speculation, but the silence on this may be the authorities waiting for sequences on the virus to make sure it hasn't mutated.

Comment

That news story is pretty good news. Mindy is still alive and possibly doing a little better. No mention on the status of Matt's father or Kristine, but if they were seriously ill, Katrina would have mentioned it. Of note is that neither one of them is seen or quoted in the video. They may both be in quarantine.

I think you're right about them waiting to announce anything until they sequence the virus.

This story has caused us to see these victims in a far more personal light than I can remember in any other outbreak, simply because of the amount of personal information available.

Comment

I thought the singer was the one that tested positive for flu, and she apparently has been released. It was stated early that investigators though she had something different than Matt and Mindy.

Wasn't Matt supposedly sick for 2 weeks? I would expect to see others sick as well.

Originally posted by alert View Post
                      You have four cases, with no common exposure. The only common exposure is to an ill Matt. And the onset dates spread over more than two weeks (Matt ill before 6/27, Kristine ill on 7/5, and the father ill later).

THIS IS CONTAGIOUS, and I suspect the doctors know it.

Comment

No. It was Mindy, the sister who tested positive for flu. One report indicates that Kristine, the singer, was released, but another one mentions that her symptoms were looking more like Matt and Mindy's. I think all four people likely have the same illness, and it is more likely than not Pandemic H1N1. It is not clear to me the status of either Kristine or Matt's father.

Comment

I believe this is new and related to this case:

http://www.local12.com/content/break...A.cspx?rss=935

New Information:
                          The Hamilton County Coroner's office tells Local 12 that samples taken from a 19 year old Dearborn County, Indiana man and sent to the Indiana Department of Health for analysis show the musician died of the H1N1 virus, also known as Swine Flu.

19-year-old Matt Mcintosh, known as "Skinny" died Sunday, July 5 at University Hospital after first feeling ill two weeks ago. His sister Mindy, who is 26, has been at University Hospital with the same symptoms... pneumonia and kidney failure.

The two lived with their parents in Moores Hills, which is in rural Dearborn County, Indiana. Matt was found passed out in a barn on June 28th. He spent two days in a Dearborn County Hospital and was airlifted to University Hospital in Cincinnati on June 30th.

Matt Mcintosh was the drummer in the rock band "Strange on Display". A woman who sings with the band also got sick... so did Mcintosh's father. Doctors say it's unrelated.

The news comes hours after McIntosh's funeral. McIntosh's death is the first reported death from H1N1 in Hamilton County. Local 12 is following this developing story and we'll post new information here as soon as it is available.
                          Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Attempting to blog an nascent pandemic: Diary of a Flu Year

Comment

well...there is it.

I've moved to H1N1 / Indiana

Comment

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indiana is reporting its first swine flu death.

The state Department of Health said Friday that a resident of Dearborn County in southeastern Indiana died from complications related to the pandemic H1N1 influenza.

The department says it won't release any other information about the person for confidentiality reasons.

Health officials are working with the Dearborn County Health Department to investigate and have already contacted people who might have been exposed to the case.

Indiana has reported more than 250 confirmed cases of the swine flu and more than 30 people have been hospitalized since April.

U.S. health officials say the number of swine flu cases has surpassed 37,000 and more than 200 people have died.

The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Except in this case we have alot of details relating to the people involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X