Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rica: 5000 cases in the past week

One Death, More Cases of Dengue in Costa Rica

The ministerio de Salud - Costa Rica's Public Health Ministry - yesterday confirmed the first death for this year and that there are now a total 8,500 people infected to date.

According to an official report, Los Chiles, the northeastern region of the country is the most affected, with more cases reported with the start of the rainy season.

The ministra de Salud, Maria Luisa Avila, called on the population to eliminate breeding sites of the Aedes agypti mosquito, which carries the disease, and to support the government's fumigation campaign.

Dengue causes high fever, joint pains and loss of bodily fluids, and in its hemorrhagic form can lead to death.

This virus is also threatening other Central American countries, such as Honduras, where 13 deaths have been reported and 13,000 infected to date this year.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: One Death, More Cases of Dengue in Costa Rica

Google: Spanish to English translation
    Costa Rica recorded 5,000 new cases of dengue last week
    Editor: Ara
    08.15.2010 16:55:53 / Xinhua
    Costa Rica reported an alarming increase of 5,000 cases of dengue during the last week, confirms today the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (CCSS).

According to official data, this Central American nation went from accounting for 16 200 people affected until last week to register at this time a total of 21,200 infected.

The authorities acknowledged their concern, as the number of people affected this time than the statistics from previous years and could continue to increase with the arrival of the rainy season.

In Costa Rica circulating types 1, 2 and 3 of the dengue virus, transmitted by the aedes aegypti mosquito, whose bite produces a high fever, bone pain and loss of body fluids without treatment can result in death

Costa Rica remain alert to the proximity of the disease dengue type 4, which has already been reported in other countries in the region such as Nicaragua and Honduras.

This type of dengue has not yet been registered in Costa Rica, so it is feared that the Costa Rican population has high susceptibility to infection, especially for those who already suffered from the dengue type 1, 2 and 3.

So far the largest number of affected patients in Costa Rica around 20 and 40, while located in the Region Chorotega, Central Pacific, Huetar Atlantic and in the central part of the territory. End
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X