Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could church groups learn from the refugee experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could church groups learn from the refugee experience?

Good evening,

So far, in most readings concerning a concerted community response to pandemic influenza, the focus appears to be either on public health programs or on individual education and preparedness. In seeking to learn by analogy from other situations, we might heed some words from M?decins Sans Fronti?res (Doctors Without Borders) about a novel yet very important category of staff person: the Home Visitors. This is indeed one area which, if planned for in advance, could cast a vast and effective safety net over our communities.

The Home Visitor approach is one very concrete way in which community groups such as churches could play a crucial role in bridging the span between formal pandemic response leadership (be it public health or municipal government) and the common person.

Tim Foggin,
    Oct 29, 2006

from : REFUGEE HEALTH?An approach to emergency situations by M?decins Sans Fronti?res (1997) ISBN 0-333-72210-8

page 42:
    Home-visitors are a particularly important category of staff required to ensure the link between the refugee community and assistance programmes. They should be chosen from among the refugee or displaced population. Particular attention must be paid to both their training, and to that of other local health staff.

pages 219-220:
    REFUGEE-SPECIFIC CATEGORY OF STAFF : HOME-VISITORS

Home-visitors are an essential component of any refugee programme ensuring the link between refugees and the services offered to them and conducting outreach activities in the settlement. Home-visitors should berecruited rapidly at the start of programmes (within the first few weeks) and function as a network covering the whole refugee population.

Home-visitors (HVs) should be distinguished from community health workers (CHWs) or village health workers (VHWs): CHWs are an essential aspect of (long-term) primary health care programmes in stable countries, aimed at extending health services to all communities and supporting them in solving their own health problems. CHWs are members of the community, who have received a short training on health-related matters and are already integrated into the public health system of their country. HVs are also selected from the community, but only in response to a refugee crisis. Their tasks differ from those of the CHWs, and it is preferable that they do not provide curative health care. The CHWs already present in the refugee community will generally be assigned to health services (e.g. health posts) because of the health knowledge they have already acquired.

The characteristics of home-visiting programmes include the following:

Home visitors should be selected from among the sections of the population they will care for; initially there should be 1 HV for every 500-1,000 refugees. The most important selection criteria is that they are accepted and recognized by their community, whether or not they have previous skills or are literate. Difficulties in the HV selection process arise when refugee leaders try to unduly influence it, or designate friends or relatives who may not be suitable. Care should be taken that women are among those recruited (see above, Staff recruitment). The number of HVs can be increased depending on how events and activities evolve.

The main tasks to be performed by HVs are listed below (see also 6. Health Care in the Emergency Phase).

- Data collection: HVs ensure the regular collection of population figures (census, new arrivals and departures, births, etc.) and mortality figures (number and causes of deaths in the population).

- Active screening: they make regular visits to shelters to screen for sick persons, malnourished children and those not immunized against measles, and refer these to health or nutritional facilities. They may also be required to screen for other problems: defaulters from particular programmes (e.g. feeding centre), vulnerable groups with specific problems, etc. In the case of disease outbreaks, this screening task will have to be reinforced.

- Informing the population: they are responsible for transmitting necessary messages in regard to, for example, the availability of services, distributions that are to take place, the need to bring children for measles immunization etc. They should also conduct health education, for instance, on the use of latrines, the importance of personal hygiene, etc.

- Assistance to other programmes: HVs can assist in many activities: mass immunization, health posts, feeding programmes, conducting surveys, etc. However, this should not be at the expense of making home visits.

A main role of HVs is thus to facilitate the flow of information by informing refugees about relief services and informing relief agencies on refugee needs and problems.

? Supervision and training of home-visitors: A few HVs who demonstrate superior skills should be assigned a supervisory role; one supervisor for ten HVs. Overall supervision of the home-visiting programme should be ensured by a health professional (for instance, an experienced nurse). Frequent and regular meetings between HVs and their supervisors must be instituted from the start, on a daily basis in the initial stages. This allows HVs to make a daily report, hand over data collected, exchange information about refugee needs, etc. It also provides an opportunity for training: an initial and basic training session should be organized on the first tasks to be performed (mainly data collection, possibly active screening), and is continued through these regular meetings to cover other tasks and specific issues related to refugee programmes. The general guidelines for training in a refugee context are given above under Training.

? Contact with other refugee activities: HVs should maintain close contacts with staff working on other programmes. Collaboration with health services is particularly important: HVs should be linked to the health post to which they refer patients; the person in charge of the health post may also supervise their work and provide them with support.

Re: Could church groups learn from the refugee experience?

Thank you for a very interesting and thought provoking posting.

My question is

How could these visitors conduct their responsibilities without first putting their own health in danger or by putting others in danger from going home to home since there is strong emphasis on social distancing? I think the idea has strong merit and in the pre-pandemic phase could be an excellent means of identifying who is in need etc. as well as being a person who gives out information on how to care for oneself and loved ones during a pandemic. Not sure about the safety issues of home visitors during a pandemic. Unless it could be like the neighbor watch program and they do not get close to others just go by the house and see if there is a specific colored flag out side or not asking for / indicating assistance or well being status of the household.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.
    TM

Comment

welcome tmf!

sounds like a great concept.

my concern would be how to recruit these individuals, and how to ensure that they dont spread the illness. to be honest, i doubt I would let someone like that into my home for the fear they would infect my family. even if they were early receivers of immunization, I would still be concerned they could be asymptomatic spreaders.

IIRC there was a town in 1918 that closed itself off and avoided infection for awhile but eventually suffered the flu because the postman spread the joy. sounds like the same potential.

TM has a good point, they could still be useful at going thru a neighborhood but not interacting face to face. they sound like an important way to meet surveillance and communication needs, but i think the unique infection control aspects of a panedemic would need to be addressed to make such a program viable, safe and acceptable to both the visitors and the visited.
      Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
      Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
      Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
      Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
      Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
      To weave it into fabric..
      Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
      All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Currently I think that a good way to incorporate this idea is to have home visitors HV do a community assessment PRIOR to a medical crisis like a pandemic this would be very helpful for several reasons:
        1- this would give the HV an idea of the nature of each home they would serve, number of people, abilities, special needs etc.
        2- this HV could begin to assess how much the home has in current resources both human and prep so that the community would have a better idea of what is needed to augment individual resources
        3-this HV could also be a great informational resource for what people need as well as the general overview of the pandemic issue
        4- this HV would also begin to provide intercommunity resource information, One person can get X at this price or another has the ability to offer Z and then in the prep phase encourage intercommunity resource development as well as trust building between community members and the agencies that will be HOPEFULLY resource relief agents.

During a pandemic the HV would be a monitoring agent without going into the homes thus avoiding potential of transmission of infection

POST Pandemic
        This person could be very helpful in the recovery issues, Many will need thanostic support and if the HV has been trained in the basics then this could be a helpful person in assisting in those matters. If a community has other resources then the HV could again be an information resource. Additionally if the HV could AGAIN do home assessments to see how things have changed then special needs could be followed up on more quickly then possibly otherwise.

Another value of the HV is that if they would keep records of their experience (without names to protect privacy perhaps) then we could have an exceptional experiential record of how these communities prepped, responded to and recovered from a pandemic. This would be valuable information to consider in assessing overall actions taken in a pandemic as well as to hep in future deliberations and prep action in the next pandemic prepardness phase. (which unfortunately there will be again).

Just some thoughts

TM

Comment

Thank you for responding so promptly! I must agree that avoiding spreading the illness is paramount.

If some work needs to be done "pre-pandemic," it need not all be done many months in advance. Rather, once a pandemic is declared, hopefully not so close to home, then Home Visitors (HV) would probably have a fairly good welcome, at least in the first couple weeks, before illness started approaching the community in question.

Perhaps HVwould have an even better welcome if they were "official." And to avoid abuse, HV would need to be registered.

Basically the homework needs to be done ahead of time by some form of leadership within a network of churchs such that they have early on offered their services to their municipality for times of disaster. Protocols and communication tools need to be ready. When a pandemic is declared somewhere in the world, the church network takes the first few days to train (just-in-time) its HV group. Then the next ten days are for the HV to go door to door, speaking or leaving information, about the program.

When the pandemic is later within a given community, the door to door visits NO LONGER involved opening that door. As suggested, signs can be used; or website interface, which could allow many actual doors to be skipped, already having the daily status report mapped out for those who are so connected; or, or, or...

Any thoughts worth elaborating on here? It's not new, just needs to be adapted.

Tim

Comment

Excellent topic to consider. Thank you Tim (tmf)!

One of the benefits to establishing a network of Home Visitors would be for the second, third (4th,...) waves of a pandemic. People infected during the first wave who have fully recovered would be ideal candidates for home visitation (assuming the virus has not mutate/reassorted/recombined sufficiently to allow reinfection).
            "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

great point had not considered it in that fashion. TM

Comment

See this thread for more responses to this concept:

Comment

The pre-pandemic work may meet with some resistance. Many folks may be reluctant to give out personal information......just as in Census.

As my local council's secretary, I kept databases of land ownership & voting records (all public data), and it was often useful. However, many people don't want any personal data put into a database that has any access other than need-to-know. Remember HIPPA???

I agree with this concept. Perhaps it's best done on a neighborhood level, by people who already know each other (at least in some commmunities).

I believe this will happen naturally in many locations. Checking on the needs of neighbors after/during an emergency is something that already happens here, without any structure.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

I am impressed with how rapidly this thread has progressed.

Forgive me but I will draw upon the Katrina tragedy to underscore the importance of planning, practice and proving. New Orleans had envisioned in 2002 a program called Operations Brother's Keeper for the evacuation.
                    Center for Cooperative Research Introduction Objectives Application History of this project What people are saying Introduction The Center for Cooperative Research seeks to encourage grassroots participation and collaboration in the documentation of the public historical record using an open-content model. New technology developed during the last decade has changed the nature of information production and…

A number of factors played into the failure, but most of those factors were discoverable in realistic exercises. We now know that we do need to register, train and exercise volunteers prior to a major event. We know that assumptions can have deadly consequences. We also know, that well functioning community teams can be very creative and effective in disasters. (http://web.upmc-biosecurity.org/page...nel/panel.html)

The data I see suggests it is better to take a team of any type and assign to them disaster tasks, rather that to take a group of well intentioned people and place them together in a disaster without training and clear structures. Thus the groups that are out there feeding the hungry,housing the homeless, and providing the Meals on Wheels are probably the best resources to consult for the Home Visitor tasks.

What we may need to do is to target a marketing program to United Way agencies (USA) and to engage them in pandemic preparedness and practice.
                    JT
                    Thought has a dual purpose in ethics: to affirm life, and to lead from ethical impulses to a rational course of action - Teaching Reverence for Life -Albert Schweitzer. JT

Comment

This is fine for communities that have big agencies willing to get involved. However, that isn't always the case. There still needs to be work done at the most grassroot level - neighborhoods. That may be the only thing some people have available. My son is an EMT, rescue tech, & fireman and they have had NO training or discussion about any pandemic procedures.

Any solution that doesn't convince people to assume responsibility for their own well-being cannot expect to do the job.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

I recognize that many of you have much more experience that I do in these matters, and have researched much more as well. Nor do I have the answers. Nonetheless, two brief responses, for discussion' sake:

It was voiced that "the pre-pandemic work may meet with some resistance. Many folks may be reluctant to give out personal information;" I wonder, though, if we worked through existing local structures that are found across the country in every town and city (such as faith-based groups, as compared to anonymous "government"), might there be less resistance? And if people were still reluctant to give information, then simply leave basic contact information (web-based for most) that they know who to call if they ran out of food or water, for a simplistic example. Yes I'm naive...

It was also stated elsewhere that "thus the groups that are out there [already] feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, and providing the Meals on Wheels are probably the best resources to consult for the Home Visitor tasks." In some ways yes. But the problem remains: are they numerous enough or widespread enough (geographically)?

How we need to engage churches and faith-based groups now, to train them and offer needed structure and exercises so that in due course a clearing house approach to needs and resources can be ready for each neighbourhood!

Comment

Originally posted by tmf

Many folks may be reluctant to give out personal information
                          I have work with the elderly and this statement is True, not always because they do not want to share informations but mostly they are insecure, (most of them knows one individual whose informations allowed people to steal them for example).

Existing social services coming from their neighborhoods of Faith based group has already a narrow relation with them, confidence is present.

That is why I stated 3 years ago that benevolent people already active and in relation with the elderly, the sicks, the poors are people that are trusted and should become bridges between people and helping groups in a pandemic.

They already know the people, they know their conditions, they knows often their need in medication, they know their network, etc...

So that is to say that, people who call each morning the elderly to say hello and at the same time to find out if everything is ok, the people who already goes deliver meals on wheels, people that already give food to families, already are in relation with them.

These people should be the one that services in time of a pandemic recruit, they know and have the trust of their fellow beings.

English is not my first language, but I certainly would like this message to get accross, since I have spend many hours, on the ground with existing organisations that have a social mission, and with various religious community.

Those organisation already have a confidence relation with their people, lets not ignore them, they can be more efficient on the ground than any of the army or well qualify 'outsiders'.

They have the Trust, the Contacts, the Historical knowledge, they know what is the right attitude, what language to use, what are the Cultural specs.

May services in the time of a pandemic not solely follow the path from top to bottom, but recognised the existing efficient active network with boots on the ground and give them the informations, the formation, the resources to continue to serve, they already have boots on the ground and they already know the people they have to serve.

Just my 2 cents.

Snowy

Comment

tmf-please dont take our responses as reasons we feel this shouldnt be done. I think I know this FT community pretty well, I'd feel comfortable saying that both I and the others here are more likely brainstorming the factors that would need to be overcome before such a program could be effective and viable. Folks here are problem solvers, not nay-sayers!

Its a good thing to know the issues in advance and consider the options to overcome them.First step in building any plan after identifying the issue, anyway.

My guess is that not all communitites would be able to support such a structure -but most would, at least in some incarnation. Some have already existing infrastructure that could be slightly modified and added to -like the meals on wheels idea, church groups, etc. They'd be the resident "experts" and excellent resources to start a seed group in. Others would need to be built from the ground up.

My guess is that the concept is an excellent one to further explore. Is your interest in this concpet an intellectual one, or do you feel you'd like to actually try setting up planning and prepostioning and creating a program?

If funding could be found, it might even be a trial project. A proposal could be created where several different types of communities are identied, categorized by resident needs, resources and the types of interventions that have the most likelyhood of succeeeding. the tools and personnel that would be needed could be identified and preplanned for. Proposals could be submitted to funding sources to review for possible financial support of such a project.

with funding, you could even tabletop or perhaps trial the effort in a willling community with a current issue. The concept may have broader applications than just pandemic issues, so may be of interest to humanitarian groups. Perhaps a proposal for such a program could also focus in the disaster preparedness field?

just a few thoughts....
                            Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
                            Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
                            Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
                            Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
                            Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
                            To weave it into fabric..
                            Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
                            All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

tmf, 'Ethical Values for Planning for and Responding to a Pandemic in New Zealand:
                              A Statement for Discussion' (page 14-16) has a very detailed scenario of a round of 21 house visits by a hypothetical team of four volunteers. Is this perhaps what you had in mind?

I wondered about the passing of infection via the cards left by the team members under some of the doors. The varied circumstances of these 21 very different households, though, I thought was quite realistic.

http://www.newhealth.govt.nz/neac/Publications/ethical-values-for-pandemic-planning-and-response.htm<o></o>

Comment

Working...
                              X