April 27th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Membro del Comitato Consultivo, Editore e Direttore del Forum Italiano di FluTrackers
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Padua, Italy
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, United States of America (OIE, April 26 2012): 1 New Case of Atypical BSE
[Source: OIE, full page: (LINK
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, United States of America
Information received on 26/04/2012 from Dr John Clifford
, Deputy Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Washington, United States of America
- Report type Immediate notification
- Start date 19/04/2012
- Date of first confirmation of the event 23/04/2012
- Report date 26/04/2012
- Date submitted to OIE 26/04/2012
- Reason for notification Reoccurrence of a listed disease
- Date of previous occurrence 2006
- Manifestation of disease Sub-clinical infection
- Causal agent Prion (atypical BSE)
- Nature of diagnosis Laboratory (advanced)
- This event pertains to the whole country
- New outbreaks
- Outbreak 1 - Tulare, County, Tulare, County, CALIFORNIA
- Date of start of the outbreak 19/04/2012
- Outbreak status Continuing (or date resolved not provided)
- Epidemiological unit Farm
- Affected animals: Species – Susceptible – Cases – Deaths – Destroyed – Slaughtered
- Cattle - … – 1 - … – 1 – 0
- Affected Population:
- As part of a targeted BSE surveillance at rendering facilities, a deceased dairy cow (10 years and seven months old) was tested for BSE.
- Summary of outbreaks
- Total outbreaks: 1
- Outbreak statistics: Species - Apparent morbidity rate - Apparent mortality rate - Apparent case fatality rate - Proportion susceptible animals lost*
- Cattle – ** – ** – ** - **
- * Removed from the susceptible population through death, destruction and/or slaughter
- ** Not calculated because of missing information
- Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection
- Unknown or inconclusive
- Random mutation
- Epidemiological comments
- As part of the United States targeted bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) surveillance system a case of BSE classified as atypical was identified in a dead dairy cow that was to be rendered. The dead animal’s carcass will be destroyed.
- The cow was culled due to lameness.
- The identified animal was never presented for slaughter for human consumption, did not enter food supply channels, and at no time presented any risk to human health.
- An epidemiological investigation into the incident has been initiated.
- Movement controls have been placed on the index premises.
- Control measures
- Measures applied
- No vaccination
- No treatment of affected animals
- Measures to be applied
- Diagnostic test results
- Laboratory name and type University of California (Local laboratory)
- Tests and results: Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Cattle - enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) - 19/04/2012 - Doubtful (uncertain)
- Laboratory name and type National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) (National laboratory)
- Tests and results: Species – Test - Test date – Result
- Cattle - enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) - 21/04/2012 - Doubtful (uncertain)
- Cattle - immunohistochemical test - 23/04/2012 – Positive
- Cattle - western blotting - 23/04/2012 – Positive
- Future Reporting
- The event is continuing. Weekly follow-up reports will be submitted.
G_MICHIELI (aka IRONOREHOPPER)
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is On
The reader is responsible for discerning the validity, factuality or implications of information posted here, be it fictional or based on real events. Moderators on this forum make every effort to review the material posted on this site however, it is not realistically possible for our staff to manually review each post.
The content of posts on this site, including but not limited to links to other web sites, are the expressed opinion of the original authors or posters and are not endorsed by, or representative of the opinions of, the owners or administration of this website. The posts on this website are the opinion of the specific author or poster and should not be construed as statements of advice or factual information.
Not all posts on this website are intended as truthful or factual assertion by their authors. NO posts on this website should be considered factual information on face value alone. Users are encouraged to USE DISCERNMENT and do their own follow up research while reading and posting on this website. FluTrackers.com Inc. reserves the right to make changes to, corrections and/or remove entirely at any time posts made on this website without notice. In addition, FluTrackers.com Inc. disclaims any and all liability for damages incurred directly or indirectly as a result of a post on this website.
This site is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. You should not assume that this site is error-free or that it will be suitable for the particular purpose which you have in mind when using it. In no event shall FluTrackers.com Inc. be liable for any special, incidental, indirect or consequential damages of any kind, or any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, those resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether or not advised of the possibility of damage, and on any theory of liability, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of this site or other documents which are referenced by or linked to this site.
Finally, FluTrackers.com Inc. reserves the right to delete, correct, or make changes to any post on this website without notice at any time for any reason.
Fair Use Notice:
This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Users may make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of issues relating to public health, civil rights, economics, individual rights, international affairs, liberty, science & technology, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.Section 107, the material on this site is distributed to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 1 paragraph, and in no case more than 50% of the source material provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article. Please remember you are responsible for what you post on the internet and you could be sued by the original copyright holder if you do not honor these rules.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe a post on this website falls outside the boundaries of "Fair Use" and legitimately infringes on yours or your clients copyright
we may be contacted concerning copyright matters at:
c/o Sharon Sanders
1676 Hibiscus Avenue
Winter Park, Florida 32789
In accordance with section 512 of the U.S. Copyright Act our contact information has been registered with the United States Copyright Office. "Safe Harbor" noticing procedures as outlined in the DMCA apply to this website concerning all 3rd party posts published herein.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is the copyright of the respective owners / authors. FluTrackers.com Inc. makes no claim of copyright on such material.
For more information please visit:
Please be aware any communications sent complaining about a post on this website may be posted publicly at the discretion of the administration.
FluTrackers Does Not Provide Any Medical Advice:
FluTrackers, Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster.
The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website.
By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
By using and/or accessing this site, either passively or actively, you are agreeing to all of the above conditions. Also, by using and/or accessing this site, either passively or actively, you agree to conduct all business and legal affairs related to this website in the jurisdiction of Flutrackers.com Inc. which is registered in Central Florida, USA.
These Disclaimers are subject to change at anytime.
Email the Webmaster with questions or comments about this site at email@example.com
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.