India Encephalitis 2014 - 1,808 fatalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: India Encephalitis 2014 - 14 fatalities

Expert panel recommendations to check mystery fever deaths in eastern UP gets flak
    0 Comments
    Author(s): Jyotsna Singh @singh_jyotsna
    Date:Mar 10, 2014
    Doctors say treatment protocol recommended by expert group may harm patients
    A committee of experts set up last year to look into the deaths of hundreds of children in eastern Uttar Pradesh of brain fever has recommended that every child with symptoms of Japanese Encephalitis (JE) or Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) should be given single dose of the drug Doxycycline in villages where the diseases are endemic. JE is a form of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome and is characterised by inflammation of the brain and high fever.
    The committee's recommendations has, however, drawn flak from some quarters. Even doctors treating patients suffering from AES at Baba Raghav Das (BRD) Medical College of Gorakhpur are critical.

'Doxycycline not a good idea'

?Administering Doxycycline 200 mg to all children with symptoms of JE is not a good idea. Symptoms like high fever exist for many diseases, including viral infection. Doxycycline settles in patients? bones and can harm them. Almost every child who consumes the medicine gets diarrhoea and vomiting. This is one reason why this medicine did not become popular among the locals. These concerns should be addressed before giving Doxycycline to all suspected cases,? says Komal Kushwaha, principal and head of department of paediatrics, BRD Medical College.
    Another major recommendation of the committee to prevent JE and AES is to stop spread of lice by washing clothes in boiling water.

?So far the cause for AES/JE is known in only 11-12 per cent of the cases. For the rest, we still have to continue investigations. In this process we found that one possible agent for JE can be Rickettsia bacteria. Rickettsial infection spreads through head and body lice and there is evidence of large presence of lice in eastern Uttar Pradesh,? says Rao. He, however, says that spread of JE through lice is still to be proven and these are mere indications.

Kushwaha says possibility of Rickettsial infection causing JE is low.

?Rickettsia is found in the winter while JE spreads in monsoon, months preceding winters. This connection is far-fetched,? says Kushwaha.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2014 - 14 fatalities

google translated;

Twenty-two hundred were killed in cold Encephalitis
      Wed, 12 Mar 2014 01:26 AM (IST)

News reporter, Gorakhpur:
      Changing trends in disease experts worry lines on the forehead.
      Well, knock cold seems to be less affected by the disease. Japanese encephalitis patients decreases the number of mosquitoes are also diminished, but now things are changing because of water-borne encephalitis. This year, it's quite clear. Then tighten its screws cold in December and I still have to decrease the number of patients admitted during the year 108, of which 47 could not be saved. Of the 19 patients enrolled in the new year in January 7, February 9 out of 31 patients died in the recruitment. In March, there have been six new cases, two deaths have been admitted.* Meanwhile, BRD Medical College recruiting patients remained closed due to the strike, so the figure could rise.
      -----------------
      Things frightening than last year
      Compared to last season, this season things are more frightening. In the winter season in the past four months, 455 patients were admitted while this number is six hundred and a half.
      ------------------
      This time encephalitis has crossed the boundaries of the season, which was too long, so its effect is disconcerting. Well the weather in October and November rainfall fluctuation may also be the reason. However cold viruses responsible for disease research is underway to find.
      Dr. Milind Gore, director
      National Institute of Virology
      ----------------
      The more rainfalls in October. The groundwater from being contaminated with water-borne encephalitis cases increased in November and December. Is decreased in patients with JE.
      Dr. KP Kushwaha, principal
      BRD Medical College

I interpret this to mean
      Month // Admitted Cases // Fatalities
      December // 108 // 47
      January // 19 // 7
      February // 31 // 9
      March // 6 // 2

Giving a total of 18 fatalities to date in 2014 - Ro
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2014 - 18 fatalities

Virus-ready check

KHWAJA JAMAL IN MUZAFFARPUR
        Experts from the National Centre for Disease Control, New Delhi, visited Muzaffarpur to take stock of preparedness to tackle encephalitis this year.

Experts explored the possibility of administering glucose pills to kids as they fall prey to the virus once their sugar level dips. Kids who sleep on an empty stomach at night are susceptible to the virus, Bhushan said.

Comment: Of course hunger and malnutrition may just be another indicator of overall poverty. Lack of plentiful freshwater, sanitation, healthcare, bednets, may all be factors - Ro

Comment

Madhya Pradesh, Damoh
          Diarrhea, meningitis deaths of two girls
          Bhaskar News Network | Mar 31, 2 014, 03:50 AM IST

Family in the village Dhani Ram Yadav said Saturday night his wife Ganga ((35)), daughter Pooja ((6)), composition ((3)),
          Roshan ((6)), Ravinder ((5)) Year vomiting - diarrhea removed when brought to the hospital. Where the
          treatment was provided. The composition of the condition
          was serious when he referred to Damoh where he died. Moving to remove all remaining treatment. Kamlesh Yadav, vomiting and diarrhea are also Hna village which is being treated there.
          Bimo removed Dr. Vishal Shukla is now normal condition of all patients admitted, the Ganga Bai recruiting has just moved back home to rest amenities. Treatment and lasted nearly an hour, where he died. Dr. Brajesh Yadav said Sanjana duty was ill the day before. She was having high fever and vomiting. The village had brought him here on Sunday, where he died during treatment. Treatment and lasted nearly an hour, where he died. Dr. Brajesh Yadav said Sanjana duty was ill the day before. She was having high fever and vomiting. The village had brought him here on Sunday, where he died during treatment. The doctor said Sanjana is likely to be meningitis.
          निज संवाददाता - हटाडायरिया से पीडि़त सेमरा रजपुरा गांव निवासी पांच लोगों को शनिवार की रात हटा अस्पताल में भर्ती...

Comment

Modi, Mulayam Singh Yadav, Kejriwal silent on encephalitis in east UP
            Arjumand Bano,TNN | Apr 8, 2014, 11.10 AM IST

GORAKHPUR: Three political heavyweights are contesting from eastern UP and still encephalitis is not in the political agenda of any party. Gorakhpur, Kushinagar, Maharajganj, Sant Kabir Nagar, Siddharth Nagar, Deoria, Basti and areas of Bihar get affected by the disease every year but the political leaders have failed to mention the issue in their election rallies. BJP's Narendra Modi, Samajwadi Party's Mulayam Singh Yadav and Arvind Kejriwal of Aam Aadmi Party are in the fray from the region. Yet, the political parties are silent on the issue
            Dr RN Singh, chief campaigner, Encephalitis Movement, says: "I wonder in which kind of democracy we are living. Hundreds of children are dying every year. Yet the political leadership is insensitive to the issue. Narendra Modi, Mulayam Singh and Arvind Kejriwal are contesting from the region. But they have hardly mentioned about encephalitis in their public speeches. We have started a debate in this regard."

"As per the records of the medical college, more than 10,000 people have died since 1978. But if we include the deaths in other hospitals, the number could cross over 1 lakh (100,000 - Ro). I am surprised that no one is raising the issue that why Rs 2,600 crore, out of Rs 4000 crore sanctioned by the government in 2011, were wasted in developing vaccine for Japanese encephalitis, which is responsible for only 2% of deaths. And why nothing has been done to combat acute encephalitis syndrome (AES), a water-borne disease, which is behind most of the casualties. The region requires clean drinking water as it is necessary to prevent deadly AES," Singh added.

Comment

The child's death from meningitis
              Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:20 PM (IST)

Badaun: I contracted meningitis died during treatment of a child. According to doctors treating the baby could not get better in time.
              The five-year-old daughter Karishma resident Sattulal Dataganj three Paramedical fever came back. Kin Dataganj a private doctor showed him where to take the medicine with a doctor told her to go. After taking home her fever grew. The family admitted with her personal physician. Her condition improved on Thursday, having been referred to the district hospital. District hospital after doctors treated his trial began. During treatment, where he died shortly. Posted in Hospital pediatrician Dr. AK Gupta said the girl died from meningitis. An outbreak of meningitis is much these days, so do not treat it right, make it as a normal fever and the doctors are not able to do the merge soon. In time to get the best treatment, the patient can be corrected.

Comment

google translated)

Muzaffarpur
                Ais (AES? - Ro) suffering child, died in Skemsiac!
                Apr 12 2014 10:32 AM ||

Muzaffarpur: Ais in Sekmsiac suffering from symptoms rain five-year-old died on Friday at 1:50 pm. Skemsiac the child's cause of death was a brain hemorrhage. Although rainfall according to the doctor's father, Uma Shankar Rai said that the baby had meningitis. So have died. He was never hurt that baby's head. A week ago he was perfectly fine.

Gopal Shankar Sahni said the doctor treating the baby was brought to me. She had a high fever and foil. When I got to show her family she was unconscious. Given such symptoms Ais been referred Skemsiac him. Baby started treatment in the ICU were enrolled. He died on Friday afternoon.

Dr Arun Shah says pediatrician Haiprpareksia death from fever may occur.

If not, why not scan Ais City

Skemsiac 10.45 am on Thursday were conscripted into the rain. Now the question arises that if the baby did not Ais City on Thursday night, the baby was not scanned. Scan when the baby's condition deteriorated on Friday why the city was made. How to treat the disease for up to 24 hours after the child was. If her brain hemorrhage after which he had the disease.

Ais is difficult to immediately identify. If you're not after the investigation is believed that the Ais. Medical College of precipitation is said to be the cause of death of brain hemorrhage.

Dr. Gyan Bhushan, civil emission

Comment

Google translated;

Enroll a child with symptoms of Ais
                  Apr 13 2014 10:20 AM ||

Muzaffarpur: Tinsel and child suffering from fever on Saturday Skemsiac has been admitted to the ward Piaisiu. Baby nail station Gonaur Ram Gopalpur village's three year old daughter Anjali Kumari. Baby three days ago, was hospitalized due to high fever Kejriwal. Skemsiac which was sent on Friday. On Saturday the deteriorating condition of the child is placed in the ward Piaisiu see. There is a CT scan and pathological examination.

Dr. Gopal Shankar said that the symptoms suffered by the child is being treated. The report will be confirmed only after the disease. Delhi Dr Gopal Shankar's team leader Dr. Mayank Kumar go with bear Piaisiu obtained from the child's condition. He said that between April 15 to 20 in the Delhi team to arrive at Muzaffarpur. It will take stock of the temperature and all.

Dr. Sahni's Ais about the cause of death of children suffering from the sudden high fever in children, be tawdry, blood pressure, higher brain inflammation (Sirebrl be), the body to be low in sugar, sodium and potassium deficiency, be the cause of death is respiratory difficulty. These kids lives could be saved if treatment is started.

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2014 - 19 fatalities

Meningitis: Immunization will run from May 5
                    Tue, 15 Apr 2014 07:53 PM (IST)

Meningitis: Immunization will run from May 5
                    News reporter, Sheikhupura: to protect against meningitis vaccination campaign in the district will be May 5. Typically, the Medical Department officers on Tuesday meeting with DM reviews preparedness. Besides CS WHO meeting, attended by medical officers of all blocks. CS said that the Japanese Inseflaitis this regard to prevent meningitis vaccination campaign will start. The vaccination will start from May 5 and will run for three weeks. Been home a week earlier - go home and children will be vaccinated. On the second and third week Agnbadhi centers and health centers will be vaccinated. This vaccine is a vaccine given to children up to the age of fifteen years. The meeting reviewed the last polio and routine immunization. District from April 28 to polio vaccination. CS said in Sheikhupura district has received no complaints of meningitis. The children will be vaccinated yet precaution. Vaccination has been made for the team.

Comment

Comment - This is a very important step forward. Dr John and his colleagues have previously investigated point sources in Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh - settling on Cassia occidentalis Cassia occidentalis poisoning as the probable cause of hepatomyoencephalopathy in children in western Uttar Pradesh. and
                      Cassia occidentalis toxicity causes recurrent outbreaks of brain disease
                      in children in Saharanpur (PDF)
                      Large doses of Cassia produced hepatomyoencephalopathy (HME) syndrome which could also be mistaken for Reye syndrome or AES.
                      Over the course of a couple of years, by weeding out the Cassia plants and providing information to villagers cases dropped by 80% or more. Disappearance of a deadly disease acute hepatomyoencephalopathy syndrome from Saharanpur - Ro

Bihar
                      Muzaffarpur
                      Expert Secrets Aiapi open soon!
                      Apr 18 2014 9:35 AM ||

Muzaffarpur: Acute Inseflaitis Syndrome (Ais) will know the secret of this year. The country's preferred physician Dr. Jacob John's team will reveal the matter. The team is in town on May 5. Including blood and urine of the affected children will investigate. After examining the results of the research will reveal the team so far. Sources close to the known causes of the disease has reached the team. The team's preferred resource person and pediatrician Dr. Arun Sah city also confirmed.

Although he declined to comment on the findings of the research. He said the team is looking toxin cause disease. A type of poison after the death of the child victims fever and tinsel. After some investigation will identify the toxin. After that will be disclosed. Muster the necessary materials are immediately directed to the team. The team's preferred physician is set to reach a final conclusion. The final results will be revealed after investigation. After the discovery of toxin would be possible to save the children.

* Aiapi came at the initiative of the team: at the initiative of the Indian Academy Pedyiatriks team last year was visited sick children. The team was also in the affected areas. There he affected families to identify the causes of illness of the way of life, including, among other things, took stock of foodstuffs. Lychee, mango fruit including samples were also collected. The team last year was involved in identifying the causes of the disease. During the team found some useful facts. To confirm that the team has risen from five to May. After a few days stay here will reveal its research team.

The team did not disclose Sharpur Inseflaitis *: The team of doctors are in Saharanpur in 2002 opened secret Inseflaitij like illness. The team was told by doctors in the field Ksundhi (rhubarb) by medical problems such as eating Inseflaitis Children are dying. After the disclosure of the team Ksundhi ceased farming. Since the outbreak of the disease gradually ended.

* Expert team: Team Jaykob the country's preferred physician Dr. John, Dr. Amod, Dr. Nair, Dr. Vipin include Bisishta and Dr Narasimha. After the initial investigation team said last year that cause disease virus, but not toxin.

Comment

Bihar
                        Fight against encephalitis to reach EVM

- Hamlets in Muzaffarpur fear disease onset, plan to vote for change in treatment
                        KHWAJA JAMAL IN MUZAFFARPUR

Muzaffarpur has decided to get rid of its perennial tryst with acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) by voting it out.

Such is the murmur for change at Salha and Maneka, two hamlets of Mushahri block ? 15km from the township ? once at the centre of Jayaprakash Narayan?s crusade to protect farmers in the 1970s.

?Hamlog khauf me jeete hain, jab jab garmi ka mausam aata hai. (We live in danger as soon as summer sets in). This time, Maneka voters will vote to change the MP, says middle-aged Rajballav Prasad who lost two daughters Ragni (7) and Roshni (5) to encephalitis last year. ?Children in our society, particularly from poor families, die of encephalitis every year for want of proper treatment,? cried Jogi Sahni, 64, of Salha village.

Mohammad Ainul, a mason, says: ?This time, we will vote for a candidate who promises to facilitate proper medical arrangement at hospitals to fight the disease.? In the last three or more years, encephalitis has claimed over 30 boys and girls from poor families in Maneka, Salha and other villages in summer.

Comment

Bihar:
                          Vaccination drive against Japanese Encephalitis in three dists from May 5
                          Banjot Kaur Bhatia,TNN | May 1, 2014, 05.09 AM IST

PATNA: Bihar government is going to launch a special vaccination drive against Japanese Encephalitis (JE) from May 5 in three districts: Jamui, Sheikhpura and Lakhisarai. In the special drive, children in the age of 1-5 will be administered the JE vaccine.

Last year 12 cases of JE were detected in Bihar. JE vaccination campaign was launched in 2007 and till date, 19 districts of districts of the state have already been covered, said state immunization officer Dr N K Sinha. They include Patna, Nawada, Bhojpur, Muzaffarpur, Siwan, Gopalganj, Aurangabad, Vaisahli, Samastipur and Bhagalpur. Altogether, 31 districts of Bihar are JE-endemic. Around 10 crore children have been vaccinated against JE in India, of which 25% (2.3 crore) children are in Bihar.

Comment

Japanese encephalitis and Yogi Adityanath: Two newsmakers from Gorakhpur
                            Anand Soondas,TNN | May 4, 2014, 06.51 AM IST

GORAKHPUR: Every year two things, with varying degrees of grimness, make news from Gorakhpur. Japanese encephalitis and Yogi Adityanath. And each passing day, both the deadly fever that unfailingly consumes hundreds of children and the equally virulent leader of the Hindu Yuva Vahini seem to be tightening their grip on this dirty, chaotic city on the banks of the Rapti.
                            Health is something that scares everyone in Gorakhpur. It should. At the BRD Medical College and Nehru Hospital, it is pitch dark at 1 pm in the afternoon on Friday. It's a problem with the transformer, says a ward boy. But three hours into the problem and no one comes to fix it. Patients and doctors keep fumbling in the barely-lit rooms.

"Two kids on ventilator died last year when the lights went off," says lab technician Bharat Chaudhary. "We desperately need generators." In 2013, some 550 children died of the dreaded brain fever. Peak monsoon sees four patients on one bed. There is filth everywhere.

With rains round the corner, Chaudhary says the cases will begin pouring in. "The mosquitos have started to rise." So has Yogi Adityanath.

Comment

Please follow the link to read in full;

Acute encephalitis syndrome in children in Muzaffarpur: hypothesis
                              of toxic origin
                              CURRENT SCIENCE, VOL. 106, NO. 9, 10 MAY 2014

One among three long-standing mystery diseases listed in Wikipedia is acute
                              encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Muzaffarpur, Bihar(1). This disease has remained for over two decades without determining a cause for it; hence it is called mystery disease. It occurs as annual seasonal outbreaks during the months of April–July, affecting hundreds of children with
                              40–60% mortality, according to local physicians. It was thought that Muzaffarpur AES is Japanese encephalitis (JE), which is widely prevalent in India; however, JE was ruled out in a recent study by Samuel et al. (2)
                              . Another study explored several possibilities of causation of the disease and again excluded JE (3)
                              These studies documented that cases coincided spatially and temporally with
                              lychee cultivation. The investigators noted colonies of fruit-eating bats and
                              the tendency of children eating fruits fallen to the ground and suggested the
                              possibility of a bat virus (through saliva contamination on fruits) as a cause of the disease (2)
                              . Other studies concluded that the disease was not due to infection, but was
                              due to heat stroke (4,5).
                              Our hypothesis is that the Muzaffarpur AES is caused by [methylenecyclopropyl-glycine] MCPG in
                              lychee. However, we do not know if it is present only in the seed or also in the edible fruit flesh (in ackee and lychee, the aril is transformed as the edible part) and if unripe lychee has more MCPG than ripe fruits.
                              The similarities and differences between hypoglycin A and MCPG in under nourished population or animals are given in Table 1, which indicates the
                              possibility of association of Muzaffarpur AES with lychee fruit. This hypothesis
                              ties up several observed features of Muzaffarpur AES. Early morning onset
                              is after several hours of fasting and points to a metabolic disease; hypoglycaemia points to inhibited gluconeogenesis and malnutrition is associated with depleted glycogen/glucose store in the
                              liver. Well-nourished children are not affected since their glycogen/glucose
                              store in the liver is sufficient to maintain normal glucose levels and presumably
                              gluconeogenesis is not triggered.

This hypothesis is testable and we have proposed to the Ministry of
                              Health in Bihar precisely to do that in the 2014 season. Moreover, knowing that fatty acid metabolism is deranged, treatment modalities are possible to save lives. Ensuring adequate nutritional status in young children will prevent
                              this disease. If and when the lychee connection is confirmed, children’s
                              behaviour modification can further help prevention.
                              Received 28 March 2014; accepted 7 April

T. JACOB JOHN1
                              MUKUL DAS2,

439, Civil Supplies Godown Lane,
                              Kamalakshipuram,
                              Vellore 632 002, India
                              2Food, Drugs and Chemical Toxicology
                              Division,
                              CSIR-Indian Institute of Toxicology
                              Research,
                              M. G. Marg, P.O. Box 80,
                              Lucknow 226 001, India
                              *For correspondence.
                              e-mail: mditrc@rediffmail.com

Comment

Viral aetiology and clinico-epidemiological features of acute encephalitis syndrome in eastern India
                                S. K. RATHOREa1a2, B. DWIBEDIa1 c1, S. K. KARa1, S. DIXITa1, J. SABATa1 and M. PANDAa1
                                a1 Regional Medical Research Centre (ICMR), Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
                                a2 School of Biotechnology, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India

SUMMARY
                                This study reports clinico-epidemiological features and viral agents causing acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in the eastern Indian region through hospital-based case enrolment during April 2011 to July 2012. Blood and CSF samples of 526 AES cases were investigated by serology and/or PCR. Viral aetiology was identified in 91 (17?2%) cases. Herpes simplex virus (HSV; types I or II) was most common (16?1%), followed by measles (2?6%), Japanese encephalitis virus (1?5%), dengue virus (0?57%), varicella zoster virus (0?38%) and enteroviruses (0?19%). Rash, paresis and cranial nerve palsies were significantly higher (P < 0?05) with viral AES. Case-fatality rates were 10?9% and 6?2% in AES cases with and without viral aetiology, respectively. Simultaneous infection of HSV I and measles was observed in seven cases. This report provides the first evidence on viral aetiology of AES viruses from eastern India showing dominance of HSV that will be useful in informing the public health system.

(Received May 24 2013)
                                (Revised November 28 2013)
                                (Accepted December 11 2013)

Key words
                                Acute encephalitis syndrome; acyclovir; herpes simplex virus

Correspondence
                                c1 Author for correspondence: Dr B. Dwibedi, Regional Medical Research Centre (ICMR), Chandrasekharpur, Bhubaneswar-23, Odisha, India. (Email: bhagirathidwibedi@yahoo.com)

Comment

Working...
                                X