• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: California: Seasonal flu 2013/2014 Other areas

Originally posted by Jim Oliveros View Post
    Note: This article reports 7 deaths in Riverside County

REGION: Influenza visits plague local hospitals

snip

Riverside County Regional Medical Center in Moreno Valley instituted a new policy this year for its 2,500 employees: Those who don?t get a flu shot must wear a mask, Dr. Ramiz Fargo said.

The pulmonologist said he was struck by the severity of this season?s cases, many of which have turned into pneumonia. In one 24-hour period this week, the hospital reported a spike of 10 flu-related admissions.

In Riverside County from Jan. 1 to Jan. 28, 44 severe cases of influenza have been reported, seven of them fatal, said Barbara Cole, disease control director...

http://www.pe.com/local-news/local-n...-hospitals.ece
    Ten severe cases of Influenza-like-Illness requiring admission in one day to one hospital.

Comment

Third flu-related death reported in Santa Barbara County

County health officials say there have been three deaths in Santa Barbara County due to the flu.

It is unclear if all three were related to H1N1.
      One was a woman in her 20s.

The second person was under 64-years-old, and the third person was over 65...

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Source: http://obits.oregonlive.com/obituari...&pid=169521592

Obituary

Jr., Randall Garcia 54.... Jan. 14, 2014 Randall William Garcia Jr. was a resident of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., at the time of his death. "Randy's" high blood pressure was exacerbated by the flu and he succumbed to cardiac arrest...

Comment

Source: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...&pid=169547569

Terrance Michael "Terry" Thomas (1950 - 2014)
          Obituary

Terry Thomas...passed away on January 22, 2014 from complications of the flu in Palm Desert, California...

Comment

Solano County marks two more flu deaths as state toll tops 200

Last month, a Vallejo man in his 40s died after contracting the H1N1 virus, often called the "swine flu." And last week, two other people died of the flu, Solano County Public Health announced Friday.

One victim was a Vacaville man in his 50s, and the other was a Fairfield woman in her 40s, Solano County Public Health Epidemiologist Meileen Acosta said...

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Death of a Mono County resident related to the flu

The Mono County Health Department was notified yesterday, Feb. 6, that the death of a Mono County resident is most likely related to an H1N1 2009 swine influenza infection.

Permission to release the following detailed information has been graciously given to us by Mrs. Cheryl McCoy. Our hearts go out to Mrs. McCoy and the McCoy family during this time of loss.

Mr. Lee McCoy, 69, of Bridgeport, died recently while on a fishing trip 300 miles off the coast of San Diego. Mr. McCoy boarded the fishing vessel on January 15th, and was reported to be well at the time. Others among the approx. 35 persons on board were already sick, or became sick with respiratory symptoms consistent with influenza. On Jan 21st, 6 days after sailing, Mr. Mc Coy became ill, and died 2 days later on the 23rd. Testing on Mr. McCoy and others on board the vessel have come back positive for the 2009 H1N1 swine influenza, which is the main influenza strain that has been circulating so far this winter...

Comment

Calaveras Co. confirms two flu deaths

SAN ANDREAS - Two Calaveras County residents hospitalized outside the county were confirmed Monday to have died from influenza-related illness, the first deaths among those younger than 65 reported to Calaveras County Public Health Services this flu season.

"One of the deaths was confirmed as the H1N1 flu strain," county Health Officer Dr. Dean Kelaita said. H1N1 is the most prevalent strain among those widely circulating in California since the season began in September.

Comment

Flu-related deaths up this season in Riverside County

snip

Countywide, 51 severe cases of influenza have been reported since October, resulting in 16 deaths, Barbara Cole, Riverside County Department of Public Health director of disease control, said Monday...

The latest Palm Springs area news from The Desert Sun newspaper in the California desert. Coachella Valley photos, obituaries and events calendar.

Comment

Source: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pe/...&pid=169657701

1974 - 2014 | Obituary |

JOSE MENDEZ JR. (JoJo) A life time resident of Hemet lost his battle with the influenza virus on February 9, 2014...

Comment

More flu deaths in Monterey County

Three more Monterey County residents under the age of 65 have died from the flu, the Monterey County Health Department reported. Influenza infections have resulted in the deaths of five residents under the age of 65...

Comment

Two Calaveras county residents die from flu

Two residents of Calaveras County were added to an ominous list last week. They both died from influenza. Another patient in critical condition was flown by helicopter out of the county Wednesday suffering from severe flu symptoms.

The two residents who died last week are the first confirmed cases of flu death in the county this year and both were under the age of 65 and hospitalized out of county.

?There have been two deaths and there is a suspect case who was sent to a Valley hospital by helicopter,? said Dr. Dean Kelaita, public health officer for Calaveras County. ?One of the deaths was confirmed as the H1N1 flu strain.?

Each year, as many as 36,000 people die from influenza in the United States, according to Kelaita. Most deaths occur in the elderly, who have other underlying health problems, though infants also tend to be susceptible.

Comment

Working...
                        X