Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California - San Joaquin Valley South (Bakersfield, Kern County)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California - San Joaquin Valley South (Bakersfield, Kern County)

Source: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bak...&pid=168191669

Edan Orion Behm
    Obituary

bakersfield.com/obits Edan Orion Behm 06/30/2008 - 11/21/2013 Edan Orion Behm died abruptly on Thursday morning, November 21st, after contracting a rare influenza. He was 5 years old.

Edan was born in Austin Texas on June 30th, 2008. A miracle child who always seemed to beat the odds, he underwent three open heart corrective surgeries, the first within days of being born and the last in 2011 at Children's Hospital in Los Angeles...

KERN COUNTY, CA Twelve people hospitalized with influenza

A dozen people were admitted to Bakersfield hospitals over the weekend with influenza. Eight of them are in intensive care.

"When we left the office on Friday we had received a report through the reporting system of three persons who had been hospitalized with the influenza," said Dr. Claudia Jonah with the Kern County Health Department.

"By Sunday we have a total of 12 hospitalized with influenza. More than half of those have been in intensive care unit and many of them had to be put on ventilators."

San Joaquin Community Hospital and Kern Medical Center said the cases are severe and patients are not showing typical flu symptoms.

"One of the stories was that the person was just having dizziness, but it turned out to be influenza and they're in the hospital," said Jonah.

The patients range in age from 30 to 68. One patient has the H1N1 Virus, but eight others have Influenza A, which has a vaccine.

Comment

Re: KERN COUNTY, CA Twelve people hospitalized with influenza

18 people hospitalized in Kern County from influenza

Typically known for hitting the young and the elderly the hardest, this season's flu is sending healthy adults to the emergency room.

The Kern County Department of Health has reported 18 people between the ages of 30 and 68 have been hospitalized for the flu. Of those cases, eight have been confirmed as swine flu, also known as H1N1.

Comment

Six flu deaths reported in Kern County

Two flu deaths reported in Kern County

Kern County Public Health Officer Dr. Claudia Jonah announced the county?s first flu-related casualties Tuesday.

A 30 year-old female Kern County resident died after being hospitalized with the H1N1 flu virus.

The female had other underlying conditions which may have put her at risk for severe H1N1 illness, the Kern County Department of Public Health said.

Furthermore, the DPH reported, a 62 year-old female hospitalized with influenza-like symptoms passed away Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.taftmidwaydriller.com/art...#ixzz2plSJir6E
        "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Re: Six flu deaths reported in Kern County

Source: http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-n...-county-011214

6 die of flu in Kern County
          Posted: 01/12/2014
          Last Updated: 20 minutes ago
          Anne Stegen Anne Stegen

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Public health officials confirmed there have been six flu-related deaths in Kern County this flu season.

The Kern County Department of Public Health Services said a 46-year-old man, a 49-year-old man, and a 54-year-old woman died Friday with the flu.

A 43-year-old woman died Saturday.

A 30-year-old woman and a 62-year-old man died in early January from flu-related illnesses...

Comment

Re: Six flu deaths reported in Kern County

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) -- The numbers keep rising -- a sixth person in Kern County has died from the flu.

Health-care workers and officials said these deaths likely could have been avoided with a flu-shot.

On Sunday, Jan. 12, 2014 public health officials confirmed the Kern County victims to be three men and three women between the ages of 30 and 62.

"Four of those six have been definitely, lab-confirmed as influenza, with three of them H1N1," said the county's director of disease control Denise Smith.

Health officials across the county report a huge increase in the number of patients checking into hospitals with flu-related illnesses. Dr. Tobias Smith is an ER doctor at San Joaquin Community Hospital. He said he can't stress enough how important it is to get a flu-shot this year.

Comment

CA: Kern County health department: 7 dead of flu-like illnesses

Source: http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/h...240017311.html

Kern County health department: 7 dead of flu-like illnesses
              By Kyndell Nunley, Eyewitness News Published: Jan 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM PST Last Updated: Jan 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM PST

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) ? The number of Kern County residents dying of "influenza like illnesses" keeps rising.

The Kern County Public Health Department said Monday afternoon that seven people have now died of flu-like illnesses. Department spokeswoman Kim Rodriguez said not all reported flu-like illnesses have yet been tested and confirmed as flu cases.

The county health department also reported 49 total flu-like hospitalizations.

The sixth suspected flu-related death of the season was reported over the weekend. The first two suspected flu deaths were reported Jan. 7 by the health department...

Comment

Re: California - San Joaquin Valley South (Bakersfield, Kern County)

9th death from flu-like illness reported in Kern County

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) ? The death toll from "influenza-like illness" in Kern County increased again Thursday.

The Kern County Public Health Department reported a ninth local death. Department spokeswoman Kim Rodriguez noted earlier in the week that not all cases in the health department report have been confirmed as flu, though they are all suspected of being flu.

The county health department also reported 69 total flu-related hospitalizations, up 10 from the day before.

...more

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

11th flu-related death reported in Kern County

The death toll from the flu has increased to 11 in Kern County.

The Kern County Health Department confirmed two additional deaths on Friday. Officials also say 74 people have now been hospitalized, up from 69 on Thursday.

Health officials say five of the flu deaths have come from the H1N1 strain of the virus. They also add that all victims have been between 22 and 62 years old, with the majority being in their 40's.

...more

Comment

pH1N1
                    Data Sparsity
                    Egg Passage
                    Winter 2013

2014-01-18-21:30
                    At the WeekEnd, Atlanta

A December Void

During the minimal pH1N1 case count in the Northern Hemisphere's 2012 season and post-season, the US CDC demonstrated the experimental importance of Egg Passage strategies. Variant polymorphisms known to drive deep lung involvement in humans were surfaced repeatedly from quasi-species. That egg-based experimentation was considered valuable and was pursued throughout much of 2013, but evidently not to quantify the actual circulating pH1N1 viral population . . . because the production came to a full halt at the moment that the US flu season's high fatality rates became public due to an unexpected re-emergence of pH1N1 . . .

Read the Open-Access, Full-Text
                    Synoptic

Comment

Kern County reports 12th and 13th flu-related deaths

The death toll from "influenza-like illness" grew Friday in Kern County. The count now stands at 13.

The Kern County Health Services Department confirmed two additional deaths and an increase in flu-related hospitalizations from 79 people to 92. The department blamed "late reporting" for the dramatic rise in reported hospitalizations...

Comment

15th flu death reported in Kern County

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The number of flu-related deaths in Kern County has gone up to 15, according to officials.

In addition, the County's Public Health Department says 93 people have been hospitalized and 48 of those are being treated in the intensive care unit...

Comment

Flu death toll up to 18 in Kern County

AKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) ? Both deaths and hospitalizations increased this week from "influenza-like illness" in Kern County.

The Kern County Health Services Department releases updated figures each Tuesday. Reported deaths increased this week to 18, from 16 a week ago. Reported hospitalizations increased to 102 from 97.

Many of the flu deaths are from the H1N1 strain of the virus, with both young and elderly victims.

Comment

Working...
                          X