Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
    I haven't read that severe symptoms should be required.
    AFAIK, asymptomatic should work fine.

And protection is never 100%, 90% is very good
    I agree totally that many people have been tested and show immunity and can not remember illness. I would be very interested to see a study that shows how many confirmed cases do not have immunity when tested later.

Comment

I haven't read that severe symptoms should be required.
      AFAIK, asymptomatic should work fine.

And protection is never 100%, 90% is very good
      It has always been my understanding that, in healthy individuals, the more virulent the infecting organism or infection, the greater the immune response (with corresponding antibody titres). I know you like hard evidence, but I don't have a study readily available at the moment. When I find one, I will pass it along.

Comment

I could understand that for T-cell immunity, where the virus
        must come to the cell in question, so it can be protected.

But not for humoral (B-cell), when it's in the blood,
        no severety required here.

?
        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

I could understand that for T-cell immunity, where the virus
          must come to the cell in question, so it can be protected.

But not for humoral (B-cell), when it's in the blood,
          no severety required here.
          On further reflection, I suspect you are correct. I have confused humoral and cell-mediated immune response. If I remember correctly, there was a concern about individuals being treated with acyclovir in early chickenpox and whether they formed antibodies, despite a milder infection. The evidence is yes, they do mount an appropriate antibody response.

Comment

I haven't seen much from Niman lately, but he recently posted some comments on this topic:

Weak Immune Response In Mild Cases Driving Re-Infections? (10/10/09 16:02)

Buffalo School Outbreaks Raise H1N1 Re-Infection Concerns (10/08/01 12:45)

I'm not sure if I can copy this here, but essentially there seem to be a lot of reinfections in patients who did not have fevers with their initial bout. Not much info on the severity of the subsequent infection.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknail View Post
              I'm not sure if I can copy this here, but essentially there seem to be a lot of reinfections in patients who did not have fevers with their initial bout. Not much info on the severity of the subsequent infection.
              Are they proven to have had swine origin H1N1 the first time round? I can't believe there were many doctors sending off samples for testing from patients with no fever. I guess if they had confirmed influenza A in the off-season, you can assume it was H1N1, but again, how many doctors were running the flu tests on patients without a fever?

I'd lay at least a moderate sum of money that there's a lot of people who had some random feverless cough or cold over the summer, decided they had H1N1 and are now once again self-diagnosing a second infection. That is, this particular observation has more to do with man-flu than swine flu.

Comment

#126: "cold over the summer" .. "man flu"

When the budget/insurances payed institutions are pretty vaccant with tests conductions,
                and when many GP's follow the non-tests-if-not-temp/hospitalized mantra,
                displacing generic "flu-like" / "viroses" / "atypical" diagnoses mambo,
                the many affected folks are pushed to be half-self-made doctors, to asses their individual recurrent or out-of-season symptoms into a context of an WHO declared worldwide pandemic stage maximum phase (6).

Now, every senior human without persistant chronic respiratory illness,
                when having a summer cold,
                could pretty well feel the diference from an actual strange summer illness with heavy cough / laringo-throat / synus/ear inflamations
                (all that sometimes with medium-high temp.),
                which seems to be an pretty ordinary symptoms pattern for this pandemic flu wave,
                compared to few coughs / sneezes / leaking nose, ordinary summer cold symptoms.

Or maybe we must act as this pandemic does not exist at all ...

to not ruin its worldwide "perfect handling" picture ...

Comment

Originally posted by pjie2 View Post
                  Are they proven to have had swine origin H1N1 the first time round? I can't believe there were many doctors sending off samples for testing from patients with no fever. I guess if they had confirmed influenza A in the off-season, you can assume it was H1N1, but again, how many doctors were running the flu tests on patients without a fever?

I'd lay at least a moderate sum of money that there's a lot of people who had some random feverless cough or cold over the summer, decided they had H1N1 and are now once again self-diagnosing a second infection. That is, this particular observation has more to do with man-flu than swine flu.
                  I agree. It is all very nebulous. People talking as if it is fact. I have yet to see any proof of second infection (documented).

Comment

they are withholding it

Anne Schuchat doesn't epect NYC to be protected from wave 1

they looked at 50 cities and found no protection wave1-->wave2

Comment

they are withholding it

Anne Schuchat doesn't epect NYC to be protected from wave 1

they looked at 50 cities and found no protection wave1-->wave2
                      I believe that the Doctor's point was that since only about 10% of New Yorkers (and others in the remaining states) were likely infected during the first wave, that there was still a target rich environment for the virus in a subsequent wave until the population could be vaccinated. I have not seen or heard anyone from CDC indicate that a person infected with Swine Flu in wave one, has little immunity in wave two or three. So I believe that they are speaking of the population as a whole, not individuals.

Comment

why does the wave go down ?
                        Because they acquired herd-immunity.

How long does it last ?
                        At least 2 months, see the intervals between waves.

Can a vaccine be better than that ?
                        Natural infection should be superior

10% seems to be enough, if the superspreaders are immune

I've seen estimates recently that including asymptomatic cases,
                        20%-40% had been infected in NYC

Comment

"Herd immunity describes a type of immunity that occurs when the vaccination of a portion of the population (or herd) provides protection to unprotected individuals. Herd immunity theory proposes that, in diseases passed from person-to-person, it is more difficult to maintain a chain of infection when large numbers of a population are immune."

Why would herd immunity "last for 2 months". If there are 2 month waves, it is not because people lose their immunity but rather because the prevalence of the virus itself fluctuates for various reasons.

Although in theory illness may be superior to vaccination in creating protective immunity, widespread vaccination has managed to reduce or eliminate many illnesses over the decades. It has been very effective in protecting vulnerable populations from influenza

There is no data to suggest 20% - 40% of the population has immunity. It is all speculation; not based on fact.

Comment

***** ignores New York City (and London). Why are they spared ?
                            Was these schools in Buffalo also hit in wave 1 ?
                            CDC should show their data from those 50 cities, so it can be
                            checked and discussed.

Comment

the 20-40% are from this thread:

> New York City health officials now believe that while only 10 to 20 percent of New Yorkers
                              > were reported ill with flu last spring, as many as 20 to 40 percent may have been exposed
                              > to the disease and developed immunity that has prevented it from spreading.

some health officials ? most health officials ?
                              Is it all just speculation ?

they could do some serology - and maybe did.
                              they could have done some more questioning of the people to find
                              out who had had it - and probably did.

They may well have more information than we.

It sounded a bit as if they had come up with the 20-40% because
                              they thought that so many were needed to explain the herd immunity
                              why NYC is spared now.
                              That would be hard to explain with only 10% being infected,immune.
                              Remove those 10% and we have a city with 7.5M instead of 8.3M,
                              a little less densely populated, but why should those remaining
                              90% be less vulnerable to the virus than some other city
                              with 7.5M ? Being less densely populated doesn't usually protect cities
                              from flu.
                              But we know from seasonal flu that these 10% are indeed
                              sufficient to provide herd-immunity since seasonal waves
                              end. They go down when only ~10% of the population are infected.

So, why does herd immunity occur ? I assume it's because the
                              superspreaders are no longer dangerous because of immunity.
                              The average number of flu-critical contacts is going down.
                              That would mean, flu-sufferers are more often superspreaders
                              than other people
                              Remove these 10% of superspreaders from a city and they should be safe. (?)

Well, removing immune people also increases the contacts between susceptible
                              people .
                              And we have the modelings which apparantly can explain this all.

I'm confused...

Comment

> Resurgence in areas hit hard previously are not an indication
                                > of reinfection, but rather new infections among the population
                                > that were spared previously (and don't have immunity).

why were they spared previously while living through a whole wave
                                but not now when they just only help to build a new wave themselves ?

Comment

Working...
                                X