Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Cash

OK,

Let's say that given the state of the dollar in recent months, and the current huge federal deficits, and the Cat 2 level of the pandemic....given all of those factors, what about cash?

I had planned to have some cash at home all along. I often thought how much is enough? I'm beginning to see that some people may not accept cash later on during the pandemic.

Gold is good, but not easy to get change in. It's rather valuable right now. Silver may be better since it's not as valuable per ounce.

Bartering may well indeed come in handy for trading for needed foodstuffs, medicines, and ammunition. Can you tell I'm concerned this afternoon? There won't be much bartering going on for some time after people begin Sheltering-In-Place. If there are quarantines on-going during the fall, well people won't be bartering or trading much. The Fall is the natural time to trade some of the harvest of animals as well as dried/canned vegetables.

Jewelery may also be used for barter. Some have said that ammunition will be very valuable. It's a lot of expense to purchase reloading supplies at this late date. I've heard that matches will be an excellent and low cost traded item.

What else can you imagine doing or using to fit the role of cash? There may be a lot of home distilleries soon...

Re: Alternatives to Cash

St Johns Wort or hypericum, an anti viral herb grows wild all over the US, North and South America and in Europe. Collect the yellow flowers in late summer. Barter item. Good tea to have on hand.

Comment

Just a few
      services,skills
      Warm Clothing
      reading material
      chocolate,vanilla
      Blankets
      batteries,chargers
      fuel,gas,firewood,propane,coal
      daily use tools,can opener,knife,safety pin,needles
      tobacco, coffee, sugar, and liquor
      soap and laudry soap supplies
      fruits,canned,fresh,dried
      twin,rope,thread,string,yarn
      spices,herbs
      medcines,aspirin,honey
      waxes,oils,fat

Comment

In the past, I have remarked that a roll of toilet paper may be the minimal currency unit in the new economy. It is utilitarian, portable, universally recognized for what it is, and it doesn't weigh as much as gold. In a crisis situation who has time to calculate fractional parts of a troy ounce.
        http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Possibilities View Post
          What else can you imagine doing or using to fit the role of cash?
          The home distillery comment actually be worth more than someone thinks.
          Because the worse things get - the more you want to "get away".
          Here's some other thoughts......
          1. Seeds
          2. Bleach
            (or other water purifying substance / method / service.)
          3. Basic OTC Medications
            (Aspirin, Tylenol, Heartburn, Allergy, Cold)

Comment

Originally posted by The Mountains Voice View Post
            The home distillery comment actually be worth more than someone thinks.
            Too hard to do. Have seriously considered it. Actually did some fractional distillation before, but must get it perfectly or it can produce alternative chemicals which cause blindness. Not legal either.

Could come in handy later for biodiesel which is legal. We might be doing that in my community later, however I am sure significant changes would be needed for getting vehicles to work. Can imagine setting up an algae to biodiesel facility as a community effort. Could use the biodiesel to power generators and vehicles. Worth investigating.

The toilet paper comment was hysterical and true.

I have considered the worst case scenario and massive deaths. The survivors may plunder from stores in some scenarios. It happened during Katrina. I shudder to imagine the chaos if people do that as well as what happens when the shelves are empty and people are still hungry. Desperate people do desperate things.

Comment

Working...
            X