What to do with 401K money??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with 401K money??

The discussions regarding Gold + shorts/puts has been pretty helpful to me.
    However, I have a good chunk of money tied up in my employers 401k plan.

Short of withdrawing it and paying penalties, it's going to stay there.

Specifically, I have access to pretty much all the funds offered by Fidelity
    and have been pretty successful riding the Sector funds.

I'm at something of a loss as to where to move my money should H2H
    flu hit. Probably initially, the FSAGX gold fund but as others have stated,
    in a full scale pandemic that fund gets trashed too.

Any ideas on where to "park" 401K money if the worst case scenario or even near worst case scenario plays out?

Thanks,
    Sean

Re: What to do with 401K money??

Fidelity has one conservative option for 401K. You can shift investment category from a higher risk growth or even value mix into a low percentage bond-type category (I think 3%) , but it has to stay in that category for a minimum of 90 days. We'd probably want it there longer. There are no penalties or fees as I understand it. Fidelity just has you pay a flat rate monthly and you can shift categories on a phone call or computer order.

For one of our accounts 2-3 year treasury bills look good.

I've been out of town but plan to follow-up asking about this again. Have meetings with financial planners on Wed and Th. We need to do some consolidating of accounts if nothing more than to streamline...

At the moment I'm up to my ears working on an agency pandemic plan, but when I conclude that project, hopefully soon, I'll be back finishing up working on the personal finances front.

Please keep me posted if you find out anything. I'll do the same.

Comment

I have moved my IRAs and 401ks into money mkt funds (@4.5 at Schwab) and laddering CDs of 90, 180 and 365 days. I fear the stock market will plunge big time, and think now is a good time to have cash/liquidity. But that's just me...

Comment

I work for an agency of the Department of Agriculture. I have rearranged my money in my Thrift Savings Plan to the G fund until the avian flu problem either passes or happens. I had the bulk of my money in the I and S funds (both overseas, high growth-high risk funds).

Comment

Working...
        X