Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Reports 7 total deaths this season

Source: http://www.epi.alaska.gov/id/influenza/influenza.jsp

I will have to check, but I have 3 deaths in Alaska prior to September 1st, which would make the total 10, but I will need to verify this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska Deaths.gif
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	664824
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: Alaska Reports 7 total deaths this season

It is all a bit confusing. Perhaps AlaskaDenise can help me sort it out, but it appears that there were either 2 or 3 Alaskan deaths prior to September 1st.

A 10-yr-old Fairbanks boy died on September 4th and it was reported on September 5th. This would be the first death on the above chart.

There is mention in post #14 on the thread below of an 11-month old child who was hospitalized, began to recover, was sent home, was readmitted and then died.

A woman in Seward died on August 28th, but was reported on September 17th.

In the following post, the Seward woman is referred to as the third Alaskan death, which I believe is where I got my information. However, it appears that the 10-yr-old boy was the second death and I never saw confirmation on the 11-month-old.

A Fairbanks woman was the first death in July.

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

If you look at the other charts, there has also been confirmed influenza B in the state, the latest being October 31st. So we cannot assume all these deaths are A/H1N1.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by JimO View Post
        It is all a bit confusing. Perhaps AlaskaDenise can help me sort it out, but it appears that there were either 2 or 3 Alaskan deaths prior to September 1st.

A 10-yr-old Fairbanks boy died on September 4th and it was reported on September 5th. This would be the first death on the above chart.

There is mention in post #14 on the thread below of an 11-month old child who was hospitalized, began to recover, was sent home, was readmitted and then died.

A woman in Seward died on August 28th, but was reported on September 17th.

In the following post, the Seward woman is referred to as the third Alaskan death, which I believe is where I got my information. However, it appears that the 10-yr-old boy was the second death and I never saw confirmation on the 11-month-old.

A Fairbanks woman was the first death in July.

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=118016
        One of the Fairbanks female deaths actually occured in Spokane, Washington. She is sometimes counted in both places, but to be consistent at FT, she shouldn't be counted twice - I'd leave her number in Washington. I'd suggest sticking with the count of 7 deaths, partly because earlier deaths may not have been novel H1N1 - we're usually about 3 to 6 weeks behind the other states in new flu strains.

Alaska is very late in reported deaths. Since there is no regional death statistics available to the public, we have NO idea where there is a higher case count - other than WOM. Very frustrating. The aritlce I'm posting below is the first hint that my area has decreasing cases.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

This is the first information about cases by region. It seems the press gets the info for articles, but it's not available to the public when we look for it. Mat-Su is a major population area about 30 minutes out of Anchorage - thousands commute daily to Anchorage.
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mat-Su hospital bars visitors under age of 12

By ZAZ HOLLANDER
          zhollander@adn.com

Published: November 12th, 2009 01:37 PM
          Last Modified: November 12th, 2009 02:54 PM

WASILLA --- Mat-Su Regional Medical Center is restricting visitors to guard against the spread of the H1N1 virus at the hospital.

Mat-Su Regional on Thursday announced that, effective immediately, visitors under age 12 are not allowed because of the prevalence of the virus among children. People with a cough, fever, sore throat and/or a respiratory illness are also asked not to visit to help reduce the risk of infection.

Children can stay in the hospital lobby if an adult is present, hospital officials said.

The sudden policy change doesn't reflect a sudden spike in H1N1 cases in the Mat-Su, said Liz Carryer, infection control director.

Actually the number of Mat-Su cases are down compared to a month ago, Carryer said, when traffic at the hospital's emergency room and urgent care center in Wasilla jumped by about 20 percent.

Rather Thursday's announcement came after the new policy was decided at a quarterly meeting of the hospital's infection-control committee.

Mat-Su Regional's new visitor policy appears to be more restrictive than many in the state though Fairbanks Memorial Hospital has a similar policy: no children 12 and under in patient-care areas.

Alaska Regional Hospital in Anchorage said it has no restrictions on visitors, as did Central Peninsula Hospital in Kenai.

Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage is screening visitors to maternity and pediatric areas but has no hospital-wide restrictions, spokesman John Hogue said.

H1N1 is the most prevalent flu virus around Alaska right now.
          The visitor policy at Mat-Su Regional will remain in effect either until state health officials declare a statewide decrease in the number of H1N1 cases or until the Mat-Su has a "good number" of mass immunizations with the H1N1 vaccine, Carryer said.

Right now vaccines are still limited to high-risk populations including pregnant women, juveniles, people who work with infants and adults with medical problems that could put them at a higher risk of flu complications.

The Mat-Su Borough is planning some mass immunization clinics in early December, Carryer said.

The restrictions could remain in place until the end of flu season next spring, she said.

Comment

Working...
          X