Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-20 (No New Deaths; Total 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-4 (Widespread)

Week 3: Widespread
    2 outbreaks of influenza ? 1 in a long term care facility and 1 in a school (residential) or university

46.7% positive specimens for influenza
    % of deaths due to P&I: 20
    ? ILI: 0.1%
    ? ED ILI: 1.3%
    × Notice: DHHS is redesigning our website to better serve the public. These updates and improvements will roll out in phases over the coming months, beginning with the DHHS and Office for Family Independence homepages. Thank you for your patience as we continue to make these changes. We were unable to find the page you entered. It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-4 (Widespread)

Week 4: Widespread
      2 outbreaks of influenza ? 1 in a long term care facility and 1 in a school (residential) or university
      46.7% positive for influenza
      ILI: 1.0%
      ED ILI: 1.39%
      % of admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 5.6
      P&I deaths: 20%
      × Notice: DHHS is redesigning our website to better serve the public. These updates and improvements will roll out in phases over the coming months, beginning with the DHHS and Office for Family Independence homepages. Thank you for your patience as we continue to make these changes. We were unable to find the page you entered. It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-5 (Widespread)

Week 5: Widespread
        ? 1 outbreak of influenza in a K-12 school

ILI: 1.25%
        ED ILI: 1.72%
        50% positive specimens for influenza
        Hospital admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 4.5%
        Deaths due to P&I: 22.2%

Comment

Originally posted by Missouriwatcher View Post
          Week 5: Widespread
          ? 1 outbreak of influenza in a K-12 school

ILI: 1.25%
          ED ILI: 1.72%
          50% positive specimens for influenza
          Hospital admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 4.5%
          Deaths due to P&I: 22.2%http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/boh/influe..._updates.shtml
          Is 22% P&I deaths typical for Maine this time of year? Seems pretty high.

Here are the isolates charts. There is a surprising number of unsubtyped influenza A samples shown for the chart on the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Week 5 Maine Isolates.png
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	653000
          "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

I checked the %P&I deaths for the past four years in Maine during the first week of February and here is what I found:

Year - %P&I Deaths - #vital statistics offices reporting - Range

2011 - 22.2% - 1 - NA
            2010 - 11.4% - 3 - NA
            2009 - 11.1% - 3 - NA
            2008 - 6.1% - 3 - 2.6% - 14.3%
            2007 - 2.4% - 2 - 0.0% - 4.2%

Only one of the three cities' vital statistics offices have been providing data from death certificates for the entire 2010-11 season, so this could be skewing the data because in February 2007 there was at least one week were the high end of the range given was 22%. Perhaps one of the three cities typically exceeds 20% during the peak of flu season.

I have a call into the Maine Dept. of Health to look into it and will report back.
            "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-6 (Widespread)

Week 6: Widespread
              •7 new outbreaks of influenza: 1 in a long term care facility and 6 in K-12 schools

58.2% positive for influenza
              ILI: 1.43%
              ED ILI: 1.97%
              Admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 6.5%
              P&I deaths: 22.2%

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-7 (Widespread)

Week 7: Widespread
                ? 12 new outbreaks of influenza; 10 in long term care facilities, 1 in a K-12 school, and 1 in an institution

64% positive for influenza
                ?ILI: 0.92%
                ?ED ILI: 2.43%
                ? % of admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 10.2

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-8 (Widespread)

Week 8: Widespread
                  ? 3 new outbreaks of influenza, all in long term care facilities
                  45.6% positive for influenza (majority 2009 A/H1N1)

Antiviral Resistance ? Maine, 2010-11 Influenza Season
                  ? # of Influenza A (pH1N1) samples tested for Tamiflu resistance at HETL: 82
                  ? # with resistance: 1

ILI: 1.85%
                  ED ILI: 2.86%
                  % of admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 11.5
                  % of deaths due to P&I: 12.2

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-9 (Widespread)

Week 9: Widespread
                    5 new outbreaks of influenza, all in long term care facilities

35% positive for influenza (majority B)
                    ILI: 2.09%
                    ED ILI: 2.47%
                    Admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 8.1%
                    Deaths due to P&I: 11.8%

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-10 (One New Pediatric Death; Total 1))

Week 10: Widespread
                      ? 9 new outbreaks of influenza

Surveillance Information ? Maine, 2010-2011 Influenza Season
                      ? ILI: 0.25%
                      ? ED ILI: 1.73%
                      % of admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 9.3
                      % of deaths due to P&I: 15.8

Pediatric Influenza Deaths
                      ? 1 pediatric influenza-associated death reported from York in a vaccinated child

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-11 (No New Deaths; Total 1))

Week 11: Widespread
                        ? 4 new outbreaks of influenza

? ILI: 0.52%
                        ? ED ILI: 1.94%
                        % of admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 5.4
                        % of deaths due to P&I: 13

30% positive for influenza

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-11 (One Pediatric Death; Total 1)

deleter
                          Last edited by Missouriwatcher; March 29, 2011, 03:26 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-12 (No New Deaths; Total 1)

Week 12: Widespread
                            No new deaths; total 1
                            • 5 new outbreaks of influenza

ILI: 0.30
                            ED ILI: 1.71
                            37.5% positive for influenza

% of admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 11.0
                            % of deaths due to P&I: 8.0

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-13 (No New Deaths; Total 1)

Week 13: Regional
                              No new deaths; total 1
                              • 2 new outbreaks of influenza
                              Hospitalizations still rising

• ILI: 0.37%
                              • ED ILI: 1.52%
                              o 16.7% positive for influenza (majority A/H1N1)
                              o % of admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 10.4
                              o % of deaths due to P&I: 22.2

Comment

Re: Maine 2010-2011 Season: Weeks 40-14 (No New Deaths; Total 1)

Week 14: Widespread
                                No new deaths; total 1
                                ? 4 new outbreaks of influenza

ILI: 0.25%
                                ED ILI: 1.45%
                                % of admissions due to Pneumonia &Influenza (P&I): 6.5
                                % of deaths due to P&I: 11.8

Comment

Working...
                                X