Clear All

• Addressing the needs of children

For young children:

Four things I am thinking about adding to my emergency preparedness kit:
    a food mill to puree foods and remove long fibers,
    old fashion diaper safety pins,
    reusable cloth diapers and
    plastic pants for infants and toddlers.

My mother told me a long time ago; "you can come by children by ways other than having them". Just in case I thought it might be good to have the mill on hand to prepare food for any unexpected young guests we might have and diaper safety pins, diapers and plastic pants to help keep the mess under control. I would not want to try to stash the disposables needed to see a growing baby thru a pandemic. Even if the cost of disposable diapers were not so high (and there was room to store them!) I would not want to have to figure out what to do with the used ones if trash collection services are interrupted. Imagine the stench! Old fashions diapers are a mess, a smell and in general a pain but are cheap, reusable and lot of them do not take up much room.

Extra diapers may have to be improvised from clean soft cloth, but if I do not have the right type of safety pins on hand I may have some safety issues.
    We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Re: Addressing the needs of children

There are also reusable waterproof and breathable diaper covers that shut with velcro. No pins----and wash up easily.

Comment

Re: Addressing the needs of children

Went searching for the elusive diaper pins and finally located some at a baby specialty store. They cost about $1.40 for a pack of 6 pins. The store also had a selection of cloth diapers and plastic pants in various sizes for infants and toddlers. Keeping up a steady supply of freshly washed clean, dry diapers will be hard enough. I would not want to have to keep washing bedding every day too!

When my kids were infants they easily went thru 8 to 10 diapers a day. So I figure to pick up enough diapers for a day, enough for in the wash and enough to line dry. Maybe about 3 dozen. If we have any members with hands on experiece in this area please feel free to comment. I used disposables!
      We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Working...
      X