Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two more Kentucky schools are dealing with students, sick with the H1N1 virus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more Kentucky schools are dealing with students, sick with the H1N1 virus.

Source: http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/53701472.html

Updated: 12:50 PM Aug 19, 2009
    More schools deal with cases of H1N1
    Two more Kentucky schools are dealing with confirmed cases of H1N1. Letters have gone home to parents at both schools to alert them to the sick student.
    Posted: 12:50 PM Aug 19, 2009

Two more Kentucky schools are dealing with students, sick with the H1N1 virus.

Letters went home to parents at Brookside Elementary School in Nicholasville, to alert them to the sick student there. The Deputy Superintendent, Owens Saylor, tells 27 NEWSFIRST Jessamine County Schools had plans in place to deal with possible H1N1 cases.
    He says administrators at Brookside followed those guidelines and immediately cleaned the school after they were told of the confirmed case.

The Corbin Times Tribune is also reporting letters were sent home to parents at South Laurel Middle School after a confirmed case of the swine flu there as well.
    That students are reportedly already recovered from the sickness.

Students in both counties are being told to follow good hygiene guidelines and make sure they wash their hands repeatedly, and cover all coughs and sneezes.

There have also been recent cases of the H1N1 virus in Letcher, Bourbon, Wayne and Boyle counties.

Re: Two more Kentucky schools are dealing with students, sick with the H1N1 virus.

More H1N1 cases in Oldham schools has parents upset

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 4:37 PM CDT
    Updated: Aug 24, 2009 5:12 PM CDT

OLDHAM COUNTY, KY (WAVE) - The H1N1 virus is now confirmed or suspected in at least five Oldham County Schools but county officials still aren't saying which ones. Some very upset parents called WAVE 3 to get answers as to why.

We first told you in the middle of last week about the first case. Since then, Oldham County doctors have confirmed two more cases and district officials suspect it in at least 10 others.

The rate at which the suspected cases are expanding is exactly the concern of some parents and also the reason school officials say they won't name a specific school.

Four-year-old Abby looks like she's a pretty sturdy kid, but her mom, Jackie Schmidt, said she and her brother get sick more than most. "My children have asthma and allergies and anytime there's any kind of illness like that, I'm really concerned because children who have those types of things are more susceptible to those types of viruses."

In fact, the Schmidt kids were home sick from school last week when their mom learned about the first swine flu case in Oldham County Schools. Schmidt called the school board to find out where.

"They said that they were not able to give me that information. I felt that it violated my parental rights to make a sound decision on the safety of my children," said Schmidt.

She is not alone. "We've gotten a lot of parent complaints," said Oldham County Schools general counsel Anne Coorssen.

Despite the calls, Coorssen said Oldham County Schools stands by the decision not to name the specific school. It has outlined the reasons why in a letter sent home to parents Monday.

"What we're looking at is new cases that are coming in to entirely new schools and the focus of our letter to parents is really to tell them no school is to be considered safe," said Coorssen.

In fact, Oldham schools went from a single case last week to more than a dozen suspected cases Monday. The school system has this advice for concerned parents: "Treat it like it is in your school," said Coorssen. "You need to take those precautions."

That answer is simply not good enough for Jackie Schmidt. "They've already taken me out of the equation. I don't have any say over whether or not my children are exposed to these kind of things."

Schmidt said after talking to her doctor, she was slightly comforted by the advice that swine flu is no more severe than the regular flu.

However, she said it doesn't change her anger at the school system for not disclosing the affected schools and said Monday's letter home made her even angrier.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Re: Two more Kentucky schools are dealing with students, sick with the H1N1 virus.

"I felt that it violated my parental rights to make a sound decision on the safety of my children."

Absolutely.
      "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
      -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
      X