Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fifth Swine Flu-Associated Death Reported In N.Ky.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifth Swine Flu-Associated Death Reported In N.Ky.

Source: http://www.kypost.com/news/local/sto...4zkUiq2TQ.cspx

Fifth Swine Flu-Associated Death Reported In N.Ky.
    Web Produced: Jessica Noll
    Email: Jessica.Noll@kypost.com
    Last Update: 3:10 pm

ERLANGER, Ky. ? The Northern Kentucky Health Department confirmed a death associated with the swine flu (H1N1) in a Boone County female in her 30s.

According to the health department on Thursday, Nov. 19, the woman had underlying conditions prior to her death, according to the information provided to the Health Department.

This death is the fifth in the Northern Kentucky region.

Previously, deaths were reported in residents of:

Kenton County-2

Boone County-1

Pendleton County-1

The Kentucky Department for Public Health is reporting a total of 29 deaths associated with swine flu, not including the one announced.

"Our thoughts go out to the individual's family," said Steven R. Katkowsky, M.D., District Director of Health. "Swine flu is a serious illness, and it is tragic that another local family must deal with a loss related to the virus."

For more information on swine flu, including a list of commonly asked questions and answers, visit the Health Department's Web site at http://www.nkyhealth.org or call (859) 392-0678.

Re: Fifth Swine Flu-Associated Death Reported In N.Ky.

Fifth N.Ky. Swine Flu Victim Identified
    Web Produced: Jessica Noll
    Email: Jessica.Noll@kypost.com
    Last Update: 6:03 pm

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lori Ann Hornsby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	651565
    Lori Ann Hornsby Related Links
    KyPost Special: H1N1 News
    ERLANGER, Ky. ? Lori Ann Hornsby of Florence has been identified as the fifth death in Northern Kentucky associated with the swine flu (H1N1).

The Northern Kentucky Health Department confirmed the 36-year-old's death on Thursday, Nov. 19.

Hornsby had underlying conditions prior to her death, according to the health department.

Hornsby was an account manager for Bender Management and lived in Florence with her husband of 17 years Michael Hornsby and their 16-year-old son Tyler.

"[She] was definitely a beacon of hope, happiness, very smart. [She] made my life happy," said Michael.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Fifth Swine Flu-Associated Death Reported In N.Ky.

FLORENCE, Ky. -- Lori Ann Hornsby was a wife and a mother of a 16-year-old son.

Hornsby's husband, Michael, says he took his wife to the hospital after she began coughing up blood and running a temperature.

Michael says she was sent home with medication, but when her symptoms got worse, she was rushed back to the hospital.

He says she stayed at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Florence for two-and-a-half weeks before losing her life Tuesday from the H1N1 flu.

Michael was by her side when her life came to an end.

"Leaned her head back. I guess [they] put the ventilator in her throat.

And she was still awake. And we still seen each other?s eyes,? Michael said. ?And that's probably the last thing I'm ever going to remember. And then she closed her eyes and never opened them again."

But family members are choosing to remember the good times they shared with Hornsby, a woman they say was the foundation of their household.

"We played board games sometimes. And we would play on the computer together and play the Facebook games," said Hornsby's 16-year-old son, Tyler. ?And we just spend time together whenever we could.?

"She's definitely a beacon of hope and happiness," Michael said. ?Very smart. Made my life happy.?

Hornsby's memorial will be held at the Stith Funeral Home on Highway 42 in Florence Sunday at 1:30 p.m.

Family and friends are planning to hold a benefit December 4 at the Bulldog Roadhouse in Independence, Ky. It starts at 7 p.m.

Donations can also be made in her name at any Bank of Kentucky branch location.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
      -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
      X