No announcement yet.

2 Brothers Die in Johannesburg - Epstein Barr syndrome complications blamed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 Brothers Die in Johannesburg - Epstein Barr syndrome complications blamed

Hi,

Regarding the last post by ironorehopper, was this the actual diagnosis of what happened or is this a guess?

I am a friend of both brothers and like myself most of the friends and family were left in the dark about what exactly happen to them. Where did you get this info from?

Comment

Originally posted by GrantC View Post
      Hi,

Regarding the last post by ironorehopper, was this the actual diagnosis of what happened or is this a guess?

I am a friend of both brothers and like myself most of the friends and family were left in the dark about what exactly happen to them. Where did you get this info from?

Very sorry for the loss of your friends.

From post #13 above:

"Medical detectives are investigating whether the genetic make-up of two brothers resulted in them dying of a common virus.

Ioannis and Giorgio Avgousti of Benoni - believed to be in their 20s - died in the Olivedale Clinic in Johannesburg within 24 hours of each other last week.

The National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD) this week revealed that the brothers had a "very severe response" to Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), which typically gives rise to mild symptoms such as fever, sore throat and swollen lymph glands. It is one of the most common human viruses."

Comment

As one of the newshounds who tracked this story, my impression is that the Epstein-Barr virus has been confirmed by the NICD, but the exact genetic defect, if it has been confirmed, has not been announced (and might not be for privacy reasons).

The speculation that the genetic defect might be Duncan's disease is based on the symptoms of that disorder.

Comment

mutation in one sort of toll like receptor is another option.

Comment

Working...
          X