Fiji: ILI attacks school children - 50 collapsed; 6 hospitalized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiji: ILI attacks school children - 50 collapsed; 6 hospitalized

50 students from Rotuma were taken to the Rotuma sub-divisional hospital on Friday following influenza like illness.This has been confirmed by Health

50 Rotuman students admitted for flu like illness
    Publish date/time: 07/03/2011 [17:03]

50 students from Rotuma were taken to Rotuma Sub divisional hospital on Friday following Influenza like illness.

This has been confirmed by Health Ministry Spokesperson, ...students were found to be having fever, complaining of weakness and were not able to walk properly.

...more at link
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Fiji: ILI attacks school children - 50 collapsed; 6 hospitalized

Source: http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=167752

Virus attack

Monika Singh
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011

FIFTY students were taken to the hospital in Rotuma after they collapsed at the school on Friday.

Ministry of Health spokesman Peni Namotu yesterday confirmed the students were seen by staff at the Rotuma Sub-divisional hospital after they suffered from influenza-like symptoms.

"We can confirm that there was an outbreak of influenza-like illness and children and adults were both affected," he said.

Mr Namotu said six of the students were hospitalised while the others were treated and sent home.

"The six students were kept at the hospital for further observation and the rest of the students were sent home.

"However, we still have not been able to confirm what this outbreak is but we know that it is preventable. We are advising people on the island to take precautions and wash their hands before and after they use the toilets and to cover their food."

Mr Namotu said the Ministry of Health advised parents to keep children who showed symptoms indoors.

"The symptoms of this virus include high fever, sore throat and joint pains," he said.

A parent from Rotuma (who wished to remain anonymous) yesterday said there were children who were rushed to the hospital after they collapsed at the school on Friday.

She said children from her village suffered from high fever and their parents had to rush them to the hospital.

"It is very bad and we are worried about our children," she said.

Attempts to contact the the principal of Rotuma High School yesterday were unsuccessful.

Comment

Working...
    X