prepdep, did the tamiflu work ?
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Re: Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Yes, of course it is real.

But that's precisely the reason why I made my sarcastic comment,
      and as I said:

"And the official public health org's hadn't give any loud clear explanation about, even 6 months after the main pand. appearance."

So, why there is no clear public realeased WHO/.../ scientific explanations of:
      why we can catch the same flu agent 2 times (sometimes exists lab results as Legadillo wrote) or more, and if that displace the further pandemic vaccination;
      or alternatively:
      why we can't expell succesfully this virus from the body even a month (or more) after (cases with Tamiflu and non)?

Does the public/citizens deserve an clear answer for the above, from the world health body, and from their local public health officials?

Originally posted by Legadillo View Post
      Well, my duaghter and I returned from the doctor and for the second time I was diagnosed with Influenza A-H1N1 in a month.

The doctor with whom I spoke reported that my case is not the only one she's seen with possible re-infection, which has caused concern for both of us. We are both a part of the the local pandemic planning committee and you could be sure that it will be brought up then!! One of the explanations we considered was the first being H1N1 and the other being seasonal,WHO KNOWS!

Comment

Another factor I forgot to mention is that Richmond Hill and Savannah are very close to big Army bases. Richmond Hill is very near by Fort Stewart where you have the Third Infantry Division soldiers coming in and out of Iraq and Afgahistan. Hunter Army Air Base is smack dab in the city of Savannah.

Plus tourists play a huge part in Savannah's revenune (e.g. Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil)

This area is not rural Georgia surrounded by miles of farmland, but rather a place where soldiers and tourists are coming in and out all the time.
        So, it's possible that you get an interesting viral mixture and more than one strain of the virus operating.
        Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Comment

CDC's canned answer:

"How can you tell the difference between a cold and the flu?

Because colds and flu share many symptoms, it can be difficult (or even impossible) to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. Special tests that usually must be done within the first few days of illness can be carried out, when needed to tell if a person has the flu."

Maybe everyone is just getting stronger colds over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
            prepdep, did the tamiflu work ?
            Hubby got well within a few days both times he used tamiflu.
            I only used it the first time and got well relatively quick, although it took longer for me to feel well than the hubby.

I had trouble getting past my third bout of whatever it was. Nothing life threatening, but just seemed to linger on endlessly. I had waited too long for tamilfu to be useful so I just endured.

Neither of us had serious congestion or breathing problems. Just a dry cough and sore throats off and on along with the other symptoms.

The dizzineness, headache, body aches and fatigue were tiresome, but not really dangerous.

We've now used up 3 rounds of my stored tamiflu - 2 remaining.
            The hubby started on it quickly both times and was never ill for more than a week either time, so I think it made a difference.
            Nothing miraculous, but my bouts lingered much longer than his when he took tamilfu.
            "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
            "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Maybe this is just going to be one of those lingering things, the way some kids get mono and feel horrible for months on end. I have some students who have been just sort of sick for the whole month of September.

Comment

Originally posted by prepdeb View Post
                We've now used up 3 rounds of my stored tamiflu - 2 remaining.
                Just curious - how were you able to store tamiflu? It's been hard to get around here for *years*. My kids were sick with flu 3 years ago and no pharmacies around here had any. I live outside of a decent size Metro area (Memphis) and I went through at least 10-12 pharmacies before finding one that actually had it in stock.

Plus, our doctors won't prescribe unless you actually test positive. Which meant each kid had to go to the doctor (and pay for an office visit), individually, etc....

One of my kids didn't take all his, and when we went to the doctor for my sick daughter I mentioned that my oldest son still had 3 he hadn't taken but was better. The only reason I said that was the doctor asked how my son was doing and I was just basically saying that he was better and I was also trying to determine if Tamifllu was like an antibiiotic in that one should take all of it in order to not build up resistance (I was worried about it).

To my SURPRISE, the doctor wrote a script for my daughter and - get this - she wrote it for 7 pills! 7! And that is how the pharmacy filled it - in a little zip lock bag! You could tell he had just taken the foil package of 10 and torn 3 off (the rest were still *connected*)....I guess she (the doctor) figured I still had 3 at home and that was all I was gonna get!

I had another zip lock bag incident this spring when I had the flu - the pharmacist only gave me 8 pills because he said that's all they had left. Worked though, so not complaining but still...this seems...wrong.

So it always amazes me when people say they had some stocked up! Do doctors in other places more easily hand out scripts for these things? And obviously other parts of the country have better inventory in their pharmacies...

Comment

My daughter had to go from pharmacy to pharmacy in Richmond Hill, GA, to get Tamiflu. It's so flu-infested that drug stores had to restock.
                  Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Comment

Yes, Richmond Hill, GA is really having a bit of an outbreak, as is Savannah!

It seems at the hospital where I work, a couple of the nurses and some kids are starting to get sick. Here we go again!

Moreover, a co-worker of mine who was diagnosed with H1N1 in August like me is also beginning to display symptoms. She will be tested again for a possible re-infection of flu this week. If positive, this will also be her second diagnosis in a month (four and 1/2 weeks).
                    But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. -Poe

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

So does that mean you won't be required to get H1N1 Vax if you don't want since you have had a verifiable case?

Comment

Tesseract, I have been curious about how people have been able to stock up on Tamiflu as well. I was especially alarmed when I read about the "healthy" girl who was denied a prescription by her doctor and was dead within a few days.

If, God forbid, one of my kids get sick, I want to make sure I am able to do everything possible for a good outcome--including giving Tamiflu! How is it that some are able to get a prescription without being sick? My husband and one of my sons has asthma, and it seems to me that I should be "stockpiling" also!!!

Comment

I purchased our store of it a couple of years ago when I was afraid that H5N1 would bring our next pandemic.
                          It was from an online Canadian source that didn't require a prescription - at least at that time. The expiration dates on our stored tamiflu are 2010.

It was fairly expensive but felt like the corner of a security blanket.
                          Without being seriously ill, I doubt that we could get a doc to test us, much less prescribe an anti-viral.

I don't advocate doing as I did and I've heard there is fake tamiflu out there, so anyone seeking it has to be cautious.

The online services that sell prescription meds without a script seem to come and go, probably for good reasons.
                          I just checked and my source is still out there, but the name has changed.
                          They still have tamiflu, but a banner says stock is running out.

In my opinion, it was a situation where I chose to purchase this way because if and when I needed some - I'd need it right away to be most effective.
                          If doctors and pharmacies are overwhelmed, the chances of getting it in a timely manner are slim.
                          "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                          "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Well I can see why your name is "prepdeb"!! Very smart--I wish I would have had your foresight. I would be nervous now about ordering on-line as I'm sure there are a lot of "fakes" looking to cash in on this flu.

Comment

Thanks for that info. Interesting. If you go the Tamiflu site, they have a picture of 'fake' Tamiflu in a bottle, although I am sure there are fake versions in the punch out strips as well.

I too was upset about that teen that died without Tamiflu. That same day, in the same state, a friend of mine tested positive and her doctor gave her Tamiflu- no underlying conditions. Although I am glad my friend received an anti-viral, I can't imagine how unfair that must seem to the parents of that 14 yo girl - not that we can know without a doubt that her outcome would have been different (maybe, maybe not) but at least they would know they tried with a first round weapon of choice....

My daughter has severe allergies, my son was born with a congenital heart condition. Neither are considered (by our local doctors) to meet the CDC guidelines for anti-virals. But if either come down with the flu, I may just act like a freaky mom until someone gives it to me! Squeaky wheel, right?

Comment

YET ANOTHER POSSIBLE RE-INFECTION, this time my friend's son who also goes to my 12-year-olds school in Richmond Hill, GA. He recently recovered from flu just 3weeks ago and has been sent home today WITH 8 OTHER KIDS IN HIS CLASSROOM that have displayed flu-like symptoms. Clearly we are having another outbreak and my friend's son is being tested to see if he too was re-infected.
                                But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. -Poe

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

Working...
                                X