Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

How does she know they had H1N1 twice? I'm not saying she is wrong, I just have not seen any evidence that this happens. Traditionally, one develops immunity through initial infection or immunization and this confers protection against that particular flu virus. Recurrences are usually the result of antigenic drift. I am interested to know if anyone has documented reinfection with H1N1?

Comment

Originally posted by North44 View Post
      How does she know they had H1N1 twice? I'm not saying she is wrong, I just have not seen any evidence that this happens. Traditionally, one develops immunity through initial infection or immunization and this confers protection against that particular flu virus. Recurrences are usually the result of antigenic drift. I am interested to know if anyone has documented reinfection with H1N1?

On page 1, in post #20, Legadillo states:

Well, my duaghter and I returned from the doctor and for the second time I was diagnosed with Influenza A-H1N1 in a month.
      My initial assumption was that meant she tested positive twice...but not sure if that is absolutely true or not.

My thoughts on that were:

A) She had 2009 H1N1 aka "Swine Flu" AND seasonal H1N1 (even though surveillance doesn't show seasonal in any great numbers right now) in the same month....

or

B) Swine Flu has mutated just enough to cause reinfection - i.e., not the exact same strain she had previously, but also not the seasonal H1N1

or

C) She was still shedding from the first round and that caused the positive test both times, but her symptoms right now are actually a manifestation from some other bug

I think the simplest explanation might be C, however, she is not the only one reporting this type of reinfection so.....'tis a mystery for now - and how likely is that scenario for both her and her daughter? Also if she did both test positive I guess we need to also evaluate the possibility that the test caused a false positive. Again, though -if she and her daughter were BOTH sick twice, that still seems odd, doesn't it?

Comment

We are so caught up with influenza, we forget that the great majority of respiratory and gastrointestinal infections are caused by other viruses. It is true that H1N1 is taking over seasonal flu in the realm of influenza infection, but there are hundreds of other viruses that cause infection that may be mistaken for influenza. As a physician, I commonly make the mistake of telling patients they have the "flu" - meaning a group of symptoms related to a flu-like illness. I don't mean a specific Influenza infection. I wonder how many other physicians do this.

Comment

Hello! Just to answer some of the questions.

My daughter and I were both diagnosed with H1N1, as were several other families in our community. Most of us initially got sick in late August (around the 24th) when we were first diagnosed. The second time we were diagnosed was last week (Sept 30).

Some explanations are that one bout was seasonal flu and the other H1N1, which I previously posted, viral overload due to repeated exposure (??) to the same virus. Who knows! I also find it strange, as do the health care workers in our community and the families who continue to get sick over again.

What's most important to me at this point is asking ourselves the question:

Can we get it a second time after initial exposure or getting the vaccine and what are the ramifications of this?

What I see is that those getting it a second time are less likely to get Tamiflu again, go to the doctor again, they return to work or school faster (before recovery) and miss work/school a lot more due to continued symptoms. Overall, the problem is that most getting ANY flu a second time in a short period are more likely to shrug it off and keep on truckin' thus putting themselves and others at risk.

TESSERACT, I was just curious to know if it is actually possible to shed for more than a month. I didn't think so.
          But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. -Poe

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

Originally posted by Legadillo View Post
            Hello! Just to answer some of the questions.
            TESSERACT, I was just curious to know if it is actually possible to shed for more than a month. I didn't think so.
            I didn't think so either, but was just trying to put out all the possible explanations

Just so I understand - when you say "diagnosed" are you saying you were swabbed twice and the results were positive twice for Type A? Just want to make sure I understand!

If not, it is possible that, as North pointed out, you have simply been exposed to some other viral bugs circulating.

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract View Post
              I didn't think so either, but was just trying to put out all the possible explanations

Just so I understand - when you say "diagnosed" are you saying you were swabbed twice and the results were positive twice for Type A? Just want to make sure I understand!

If not, it is possible that, as North pointed out, you have simply been exposed to some other viral bugs circulating.
              Yes, I was swabbed twice, as were my kids and other families. This doesn't necessarily mean we have H1N1 but that we for sure have Type A flu, which is MOST LIKELY H1N1 as opposed to othet Type A flus.

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

This is a brand new virus, a triple reassortant. Maybe old rules don't apply to this particular brand of virus. Maybe you get can it multiple times even if there isn't any drift.
                Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Comment

legadillo, did you take Tamiflu the first time you had flu?

Comment

Yes, I was swabbed twice, as were my kids and other families. This doesn't necessarily mean we have H1N1 but that we for sure have Type A flu, which is MOST LIKELY H1N1 as opposed to othet Type A flus.
                    So, I guess the next question is: how long does it take for the test to become negative after an initial infection? I don't know the answer to this.

Comment

Understood. I agree that if positive for flu, most likely 2009 H1N1 as opposed to anything else since seasonal isn't circulating in large numbers yet.

Two articles about shedding:

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/con...nsmiss-jw.html

and

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineFl...ory?id=8584596

The last article suggesting perhaps as long as 12 days (although rare).

Anyone read any studies showing viral shedding longer than that?

Comment

One of my friend's kids has pneumonia and he goes to Richmond Hill Middle School where there is a H1N1 outbreak. My friend has been informed by her doctor that he has Croup, NOT swine flu due to his being negative on the nasal swabs!!

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Horse View Post
                          This is a brand new virus, a triple reassortant. Maybe old rules don't apply to this particular brand of virus. Maybe you get can it multiple times even if there isn't any drift.
                          I have been told straight out by someone deep in the government loop that "you can get and recover from this virus without gaining immunity. This is why the vaccine is so important."
                          They are NOT openly touting this at the moment because they fear panic would ensue due to lack of availability. I assume they will emphasize this later to increase percentage vaccinated. I do not have time to research this on my own right now, it would be great to give a link to back this up or refute this. It sounds plausible to me and would fit with the study mentioned by CDC that showed only 10% of suspected cases had immunity when tested later. My own personal theory had been that the immunity did not last, which would have been a much worse situation, so I am glad to be wrong.
                          So it sounds like getting the vaccine saves us all but I can not help but be suspicious, but I guess that's just because it's my nature. And the fact that messages and information continue to be mixed and conflicting.
                          Got to run, we are vaccinating parents and caregivers of children 5 and under as of today! Next week it will be pregnant women.

Oh, I almost forgot: the 28 day thing. I was also told that the reason behind separating seasonal and ***** vaccines (of any type, NOT just live) is that if they are closer together, there is high potential for diminished effectiveness of one, the other, or both and that this is "common" knowledge in public health circles. "The immune system is easily confused by influenza viruses".
                          Just reporting what is being told to me, 2 grains of salt....

Comment

Originally posted by Flufreak View Post
                            I have been told straight out by someone deep in the government loop that "you can get and recover from this virus without gaining immunity. This is why the vaccine is so important."
                            They are NOT openly touting this at the moment because they fear panic would ensue due to lack of availability. I assume they will emphasize this later to increase percentage vaccinated. I do not have time to research this on my own right now, it would be great to give a link to back this up or refute this. It sounds plausible to me and would fit with the study mentioned by CDC that showed only 10% of suspected cases had immunity when tested later. My own personal theory had been that the immunity did not last, which would have been a much worse situation, so I am glad to be wrong.
                            So it sounds like getting the vaccine saves us all but I can not help but be suspicious, but I guess that's just because it's my nature. And the fact that messages and information continue to be mixed and conflicting.
                            Got to run, we are vaccinating parents and caregivers of children 5 and under as of today! Next week it will be pregnant women.

Oh, I almost forgot: the 28 day thing. I was also told that the reason behind separating seasonal and ***** vaccines (of any type, NOT just live) is that if they are closer together, there is high potential for diminished effectiveness of one, the other, or both and that this is "common" knowledge in public health circles. "The immune system is easily confused by influenza viruses".
                            Just reporting what is being told to me, 2 grains of salt....

Thanks for the info!!! I think panic is not the problem here but more like ANGER! The question I have is, why does the vaccine create immunity but getting the virus doesn't?? Just curious

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

Originally posted by Flufreak View Post
                              I, like Legadillo, am having trouble understanding how you can develop immunity as a result of the vaccine, but not from infection with the actual virus. Maybe someone can clarify this for us.

Comment

Ditto here too.
                                If being infected with a live version of the virus doesn't provide immunity, I have a hard time buying the idea that being innoculated with a killed version of the virus will.

As someone who has been sick several times this summer, but was never tested, I'm willing to believe that I may not have had H1N1 over and over again, but it's very unusual for me and so many others to experience flu-like symptoms in the summer months.

I wish they would publish something explaining how and why the vaccine will provide immunity whereas infection doesn't.
                                "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                                "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Working...
                                X