• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia: 3 fatalities from flu-like illness at aged care facility in NSW

Lockdown over flu fatalities at Stockton, Morisset
    BY SAM RIGNEY
    02 Aug, 2012 06:22 PM
    THREE people have died and 51 more are in lockdown after a flu virus breakout at Stockton and Morisset aged care facilities.
    The Minister for Disability Services Andrew Constance said one resident of the Stockton aged care facility and two from Kanangra, in the grounds of Morisset Hospital, died after exhibiting flu-like symptoms.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Australia: 3 fatalities from flu-like illness at aged care facility in NSW

Deadly flu outbreak shuts centres for disabled
    Posted August 03, 2012 08:02:19

Two Hunter region facilities for the disabled are in lock-down after a flu-outbreak and the deaths of three residents who had suffered flu-like symptoms.

In the past week, two men in their 60s and a woman aged in her 40s died at the Stockton and Kanangra Centres.

51 residents are now being treated for the flu and strict infection control measures have been introduced at the centres which house 450 people.

The Opposition Health spokesman, Doctor Andrew McDonald says he is concerned that it may be a new strain of flu.

"This is a great concern because most of these people had been vaccinated against the flu," he said.

"This means that the vaccination is either ineffective or it's a new virus.
    Two Hunter region facilities for the disabled are in lock-down after a flu-outbreak and the deaths of three residents who had suffered flu-like symptoms.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X