• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One flu-related death in Wood County

One flu-related death in Wood County
    January 17, 2013
    By Michael Erb - News and Sentinel.com
    The Marietta Times

PARKERSBURG - At least one local resident has died due to influenza-related illness, officials confirmed Wednesday.

Jessica Woods, interim epidemiologist for the Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department, said one "elderly individual" has died in Wood County from flu-related illness. Woods said it is, so far, the only confirmed flu-related death reported to the health department, which serves six counties in West Virginia.

On Tuesday, officials with the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department said at least two deaths in Kanawha County have been linked to flu-related illness. In both cases the people were elderly and had other health issues as well.

Woods said such deaths are only reported to the health department if they occur within a nursing home or are a child under the age of 18. The elderly and very young are considered at risk for complications from influenza.

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X