Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Texas: 2012 West Nile cases- 81 deaths to date

West Nile ? December 10, 2012

DSHS has confirmed 1,807 human cases of West Nile illness in Texas this year, including 82 deaths.
    Human West Nile Cases By County for 2012
    Explore the latest public health news in Texas. Browse through our news and media releases about news that could impact the health and safety of Texans.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• Re: Texas: 2012 West Nile cases- 82 deaths to date

West Nile ? December 17, 2012

DSHS has confirmed 1,834 human cases of West Nile illness in Texas this year, including 86 deaths.

West Nile is a mosquito-borne virus. There are two forms of the illness, West Nile neuroinvasive disease (WNND) and West Nile fever (WN fever). The symptoms of severe infection from West Nile neuroinvasive disease include headache, high fever, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness and paralysis. West Nile fever is the milder form of the illness. Symptoms include fever, headache, body aches, and occasionally a skin rash on the trunk of the body and swollen lymph glands.

DSHS reminds Texans to reduce the risk of exposure by eliminating standing water and other mosquito breeding areas; making sure door, porch and window screens are in good condition; and using a repellent that contains DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus or IR3535 when outdoors.

*Human West Nile Cases By County for 2012
      Explore the latest public health news in Texas. Browse through our news and media releases about news that could impact the health and safety of Texans.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• Re: Texas: 2012 West Nile cases- 86 deaths to date

Volume 19, Number 11?November 2013
        Dispatch
        West Nile Virus, Texas, USA, 2012

Kristy O. MurrayComments to Author , Duke Ruktanonchai, Dawn Hesalroad, Eric Fonken, and Melissa S. Nolan
        Author affiliations: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA (K.O. Murray,, M.S. Nolan); Texas Children?s Hospital, Houston (K.O. Murray, M.S. Nolan); Texas Department of State Health Services, Austin, Texas, USA (D. Ruktanonchai, D. Hesalroad, E. Fonken)

Abstract
        During the 2012 West Nile virus outbreak in Texas, USA, 1,868 cases were reported. Male patients, persons >65 years of age, and minorities were at highest risk for neuroinvasive disease. Fifty-three percent of counties reported a case; 48% of case-patients resided in 4 counties around Dallas/Fort Worth. The economic cost was >$47.6 million.
        ---
        West Nile virus (WNV) first emerged in Texas, USA, in 2002 (1). Since then, the virus has become endemic, with ≈2,200 human cases reported in the state during 2002?2011 (2). In 2012, an unprecedented outbreak of WNV occurred in Texas; ≈1,800 cases were reported. The objective of this study was to understand the epidemiology of the 2012 WNV outbreak in Texas.
        full paper at; http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/19/...68_article.htm

Comment

Working...
        X