X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavier University Students Quarantined With Swine Flu

Xavier Students Quarantined With Swine Flu

Last Update: 12:57 am

Several Xavier University students are in quarantine after the university confirmed seven cases of swine flu on campus this week.

University officials have designated an isolation area for infected to students in the basement of its Alumni Center. The building has separate ventilation systems for each floor.

Dozens more students have developed flu-like symptoms.

One student confirmed to have the H1N1 virus says she was told by doctors 70 Xavier students have symptoms and are now assumed to have swine flu as well.

Taylor Neal, a senior marketing major, developed a fever on Wednesday. By Thursday night, doctors confirmed she had the virus. Neal was ordered to stay in her room off-campus.

"Wednesday evening I started feeling really bad. I had a sore throat and a cough, and a really bad headache," said Neal, wearing a surgical mask and talking to us by telephone behind the glass front door of her mother's home.

Neal says doctors told her, "I have to stay in my room for all the time I have a fever, and 24, but preferably 48 hours after it goes away. If I come out of my room into the rest of the house, I have to wear a mask."

She describes her symptoms as similar to those of the regular, seasonal flu. While the H1N1 virus is spreading through campus, the flu itself has so far been relatively mild.

In an e-mail blast sent to the student body Friday, Xavier warned students, "If you are coughing in class, you will be asked to leave immediately to call the Wellness Center."

The e-mail also said the university had so many suspected cases, it had stopped counting. All students with flu symptoms are now assumed to have swine flu.

Students are taking precautions, like regular hand washing.

Some have decided to wear surgical masks around campus.

"My dad just got swine flu," says Xavier Freshman Kevin Lackman. "On a personal level, I think it's something we should be wary about."

Classes have not been canceled and the Xavier campus remains open.

Students who enter quarantine or who leave campus to recuperate are told not to worry about missed classes or school work.

But, the university is trying to limit large gatherings of students.

Says infected senior Taylor Neal, "They really want to try to limit social activities on campus, just because you have more of an exposure."

Copyright 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X