No announcement yet.

City loses first child to swine flu; one of 13 overall H1N1-related deaths in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City loses first child to swine flu; one of 13 overall H1N1-related deaths in

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...s_statewi.html

City loses first child to swine flu; one of 13 overall H1N1-related deaths in New York State
    By Erica Pearson
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Saturday, November 21st 2009, 4:00 AM

A New York City child has died of swine flu, the first youth fatality since the summer, new health reports say.

The Health Department would not release any details about the child's death, but said it was likely due to the H1N1 virus, between Sept. 20 and last Saturday.

Another child was reported dead of H1N1 in the rest of New York State, one of 13 deaths reported statewide on new city and federal health reports - the most in a single week this year.

Emergency room visits for flu have declined in the city this week as the city has vaccinated more than 39,000 children in schools.

The news comes as drug-resistant strains of swine flu have begun to crop up around the globe - with four confirmed cases at a North Carolina hospital.

The virus reported at Duke University Medical Center doesn't respond to Tamiflu, one of two medications used to treat severe cases of the bug.

Health officials are keeping a close eye on drug-resistant strains that spread from person to person because they could be signs that H1N1 is mutating.

The Duke cases involve four very ill patients who caught the virus at a cancer unit, and three have died, officials said.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X