DMO Calls On All To Be Alert For Possible Bird [sic] Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMO Calls On All To Be Alert For Possible Bird [sic] Flu

I presume that this refers to swine flu not bird flu. Some confusion I hope by the reporter rather than the DMO.

DMO Calls On All To Be Alert For Posible Bird Flu
    The Kenema District Medical Officer (DMO) Dr. Jibao Sandi has informed the inhabitants of Kenema district about the threat posed by bird flu to the people of Sierra Leone due to what he described as a cross border trade with other neighbouring countries. Dr. Jibao Sandi made this disclosure while talking to the press in the city where he described Influenza A (H1N1) as a very infectious disease that is caused by a virus and affects the respiratory system which can be contracted from birds, chicken and other animals closely related to human. He cited high fever, runny nose, headache, cough or sore throat, body ache among others as some of the symptoms of the avian influenza flu and encourages the members of the public to desist from the habit of dwelling with birds in their shelters in order to prevent them from coming in contact with the disease. He says the Flu viruses are spread from person to person through droplets released by coughing or sneezing, by touching surfaces or holding objects contaminated with influenza viruses like hands, door handles, and handkerchiefs and then touching the mouth, nose or eyes.
    The DMO is appealing to members of the public to treat the current ongoing bird flu mass vaccination exercise at the government hospital and other areas within the country with seriousness which according to him is aimed at preventing the virus from spreading whenever there is an outbreak in this country. The Medical Officer says the vaccine is targeting those considered to be more vulnerable to the disease in case there is an outbreak such as children under five, pregnant women, health staff and people living with long time illnesses. Dr. Jibao Sandi stated that the harmfulness of the bird flu influenza disease which he says has the potential to wreck havoc on the entire nervous system of an infected person that can sometimes lead to death. He cautioned everyone to be careful as everyone is at risk.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: DMO Calls On All To Be Alert For Posible Bird [sic] Flu

I think the health official is confused, not the reporter. The article says you get H1N1 from chickens and birds.

He is clearly not referring to H5N1 either, because he mentions a vaccine, which does not yet exist for H5N1.

Just a very confused official, I think. He seems to have confused H5N1 and H1N1 badly.

Comment

Re: DMO Calls On All To Be Alert For Posible Bird [sic] Flu

On the other hand there are a number of chicken vaccination drives happening. In this case for Newcastle disease (although I fail to see how that would affect AI).

In Sierra Leone, Director talks on Avian Influenza Vaccination
      By Augustine Samba
      Jul 7, 2010, 17:12 Email this article

“Keeping chicken healthy is crucial to building a healthy and wealthy Sierra Leone,” so said the Acting Director of Livestock Division of the Human and Avian Influenza Taskforce, Sorie Mohamed Kamara opined at the launching of the Chicken Vaccination Campaign at their Kissy Road Vaccination Centre on Saturday 3rd July 2010.

Mr. Kamara recalled the usual massive killings of fowls which are main source of protein by the new castle disease, and said that, through this, the nation is losing enormous animal protein which would have kept the people of the nation healthy and fit to do massive work to accelerate the achievement of sustainable food security.

The co-ordinator of the campaign Dr. Mohamed Tejan Jalloh explained that the vaccination campaign is Co-managed by the Ministries of Agriculture, Health and the Freetown City Council who collectively formed the Human and Avian Influenza Taskforce in Sierra Leone. He said that the exercise was done to immunize fowls against Newcastle attack, to be able to detect any disease that would cause fowls sick and die massively after receiving the vaccination. If anything of sort is detected, we try to diagnose the new sick that has burst out.

“The main objective behind the strategy is to prevent the out break of Avian Influenza in Sierra Leone,” he said, while warning against the disease as a deadly one for both birds and humans and that it has killed millions of birds and people in Spain, Egypt and other parts of the world. “The disease’s primary source of infestation is birds and from the birds to man.”

During the 2 days period of vaccination, Mr. Sorie Mohamed Kamara visited and monitored other vaccination centres located at Cabala Town, Peacock Farm, Trade Centre, Leah Street Field and Ahmadiyya Secondary School in the Western Area Urban; and at the Waterloo, Newton and Kent Community Centres in the Rural Urban District.

He thanked partners, the African Union, European Union and Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) for their sponsorship and technical advice.

© Copyright by Awareness Times Newspaper in Freetown, Sierra Leone.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
      X