• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 virus found in pigs

H1N1 virus found in pigs
    Thu, Sep 03, 2009
    The Straits Times, AsiaOne

The H1N1 virus has been detected in pigs at Indonesia's Pulau Bulan, which supplies live pigs to Singapore.

About 12 pigs have been detected with the virus so far, said the Singapore Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA).

AVA officials first detected four H1N1-infected pigs in Singapore last Thursday, and three more in the Pulau Bulan farm.

In a statement from the AVA, it assured Singaporeans that the pork available in Singapore is safe for consumption.

It reiterated that the H1N1 virus is not transmitted through the handling and consumption of pork and pork products, including ham, bacon, sausages and canned pork.

"The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Re: H1N1 virus found in pigs

Two comments:

1. With H5N1 widely co-circulating in this country, careful monitoring for reassortment with H1N1 in the swine population is of paramount importance. Unclear, however, who is responsible in Indonesia, a country not known for readily sharing information with its neighbors.

2. I believe the WHO guidance is that "the proper handling and preparation" of pork and pork products should allow for the safe consumption of this food source. Since there is evidence that H5N1 infections have occurred from handling sick chickens, there is no reason to believe that H1N1 infected pork is in someway different or exempt.

Comment

I have not seen a study to test this, though. (why ?)
      I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
      my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

From other sources I heard more pigs in Indonesia were found to have the new H1N1. Don't have a link.

Surveillance ? Like in all countries in the world: not in a systematic way, a project here and a project there.

And of course we have the political minefield researchers have to operate in.
        ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
        Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Comment

Of greater concern perhaps is Nidhom's work which showed a 10% odd prevalence of H5N1 in pigs in the Java area.

Comment

Working...
          X