NAMRU2 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAMRU banned from Indonesia

With all the diseases in Indonesia, I would think they would want our help.

Naval Medical Research Unit No. 2
    Jakarta, Indonesia

Mission
    The mission of the US Naval Medical Research Unit No. 2 (NAMRU-2) is to conduct research, development, test and evaluation in Tropical Medical and Infectious Diseases to maintain and enhance the health, safety, and readiness of Navy and Marine Corps personnel in the performance of peacetime and contingency missions in Southeast Asia and other tropical and subtropical regions.

Programs
    Evaluation of new antimalarial agents or combinations of traditional antimalaria agents for the treatment and prevention of malaria in Indonesia.

Development of a malaria vaccine test site.

Development of dengue vaccine test site.

Determining the epidemiology of Hepatitis E Virus infections in Southeast Asia.

Identification of emerging infectious disease threat agents in Southeast Asia. This includes areas in Vietnam frequented by members of the Joint Task Force for Full Accounting in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.

Development and evaluation of methods for the rapid identification of infectious disease threat agents such as those responsible for febrile diarrhea, sexually transmitted diseases, and AIDS.

Scientists from Indonesia Visit CEID
    May 16, 2007
    Indonesia is a hotbed of emerging infectious diseases, most notorious for
    human H5N1 avian influenza infection. In collaboration with the Naval
    Medical Research Unit No. 2 (NAMRU2) in Jakarta, Indonesia, last September the Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases hosted three Indonesian ecologists from the Ministry of Health, to receive two weeks of influenza lab training. In addition, Dr. Shannon Putnam, program head of
    the bacterial diseases program at NAMRU2, visited and gave a
    seminar about his lab's international work on emerging pathogens in Asia. Putnam is a graduate of the UI Ph.D. program in epidemiology and an adjunctfaculty member in the department.
    Story Source: CPH News Digest

Banda Aceh ? a personal story By: Andrew Jeremijenko

Excerpt:
    I also helped set up a public health laboratory which is run by NAMRU2 and LitBanKes. I work with them in Jakarta doing flu surveillance so they asked me to help while I was up in Banda Aceh. The trip was extremely busy. The hospital got me to cover nights as over the long weekend there were not enough doctors for that shift so sleep was a luxury item. It was a harder trip then the first. A few of the children I had treated a 9 year old boy, 9 year old girl and a 6 month old baby had died due to overwhelming infection. There was also a death of an elderly gentleman from severe lung infection after dirty water went into his lung. This was one of the reasons I assisted with the laboratory so we could grow the bacteria and see what antibiotics to use. We had just been treating them with broad spectrum antibiotics. Tsunami lung as the press called it was a difficult to treat disease and took a number of lives up to a month after the tsunami.

Comment

I think this is a case where everyone is right.

Who wants a foreign military in their ports?

No one.

Countries help each other frequently through a branch of their military. The navy hospital ships are an example. Much of this work is very appreciated worldwide. International help funded by all countries would be the preference. Unfortunately, like Ironorehopper says, this is not likely to occur soon. Most of us live in countries where, as individuals, we have little impact on the policies of our governments or international efforts. So what do we do about this?

We participate here at FT as a collective voice to the 140+ countries that view us.

We have recommended a 90 day stockpile of essential items per person for emergencies. No government has done this.

We publish breaking news on many emerging diseases, including H5N1, that is not readily available for world access in one venue. No government is as efficient as we are in doing this.

We are promoting alternative treatments for pandemic influenza since there is no proven safe and effective vaccine that will be available for the 6.8 billion people in the world. And anti-virals are in limited supply with some of them losing their effectiveness. No government is a leader in this area for pandemic influenza.

We are international help to our fellow citizens - with no guns, no military, no threat.

Comment

Until you see official confirmation from US DOD government spokesman, you might want to avoid speculative dialog on this topic.

Comment

The Navy Times is a respectable publication. Its sources are pretty good.
          Last edited by Sally Furniss; April 12, 2008, 02:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

[Main message of this piece of news, I think is that: "If we haven't been successful in resolving the matter, I think it will be time for the world to just accept Indonesia's unwillingness to participate in the WHO influenza system and move on to other ways of making the world safer." See below. IOH]

HHS secretary blogs on impasse with Indonesia
            Lisa Schnirring Staff Writer

Apr 17, 2008 (CIDRAP News) –

US Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Mike Leavitt, in Vietnam today on the second leg of a 10-day tour of Southeast Asia, revealed new details on his blog today about his talks with Indonesian officials on two controversial issues: the country's refusal to freely share H5N1 virus samples and the status of the US Navy's medical laboratory unit, NAMRU-2.

Leavitt is visiting Indonesia, Vietnam, and Singapore to discuss a host of issues, including import safety and collaborative efforts to halt the spread of infectious diseases such as avian influenza and HIV, according to an Apr 14 press release from the HHS.

The United States, recognizing the burdens Indonesia and Vietnam have faced in the fight against avian influenza, has provided technical assistance and funding to further efforts to identify and prevent the disease, the HHS said.

"By working together, we can improve the safety of food and other products and build a common defense against disease," Leavitt said in the press release. Leavitt has maintained a blog on the HHS Web site since August 2007, and the HHS has said he is the first cabinet secretary to use the online forum.

In early 2007, Indonesia announced it had stopped sharing H5N1 virus samples with the World Health Organization (WHO) to protest, in its view, that poorer developing countries that share samples will not have access to or afford the pandemic vaccines that pharmaceutical companies in developed nations will manufacture using the samples.

The US Navy's medical unit in Jakarta (NAMRU-2) is a WHO collaborating laboratory, and its status in the county has been uncertain since Indonesia stopped sharing its H5N1 samples. However, on Apr 10 Kyodo News Agency, a Japanese news service, reported that Indonesia's health ministry had banned NAMRU-2 from operating in the country.

Uncertain times for NAMRU-2
            In his blog post, which he wrote while still in Indonesia but posted today, Leavitt said that NAMRU-2 can help any Southeast Asian country identify virus samples in the event of communicable disease outbreaks. He added that the laboratory has operated in Indonesia for decades; however, the memorandum of understanding (MOU) between Indonesia and the United States expired 2 years ago, and efforts to renew the agreement have been unsuccessful.

The United States also has a Navy medical unit in Cairo, Egypt, NAMRU-3, that also serves as a WHO reference laboratory and has been instrumental in analyzing H5N1 samples.

Indonesia's health minister, Siti Fadilah Supari, recently ordered Indonesian institutions to stop sending tissue samples to NAMRU-2, because she believes the sharing is illegal without an MOU and a material transfer agreement, Leavitt wrote.

"Her action is obviously linked to her global initiative to seek specific benefits for sharing samples," he added.

Payment demand stalls virus-sharing talks
            Leavitt wrote that he had useful talks with many of Indonesia's top federal officials, including its president, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, though much of his time was spent discussing virus-sharing issues and the status of NAMRU-2 with Supari.

A WHO working group on virus sharing has been trying to hammer out a virus-sharing agreement between global health officials and developing countries, but has made little progress. The group last met in November 2007, and a smaller version of the group may meet again in May in advance of the WHO's World Health Assembly, according to previous reports.

Little progress was made on the question of whether countries that contribute virus samples should receive direct financial compensation, Leavitt said.

"The minister's main point is that what she wants should not be considered 'royalties' or 'compensation,'" he wrote. "What she says she wants is for the contributing countries to be eligible for some share of the value commercial companies create out of the influenza samples they provide."

Leavitt said he acknowledged Supari's legitimate concerns about her country's access to medicine and vaccines, but emphasized that health officials need to retain incentives that enable pharmaceutical companies to develop new countermeasures.

"I pointed out that technology is improving and might well hold solutions that we don't currently have," he wrote. "Once we are using cell-based methods of making vaccines, the capacity and cost will dramatically drop, which will change the entire equation."

However, Leavitt said linking sample sharing to payment would erode the world's ability to make any vaccines, "because the slope is slippery, and there will be no end to the demands."

Vaccine availability and sample sharing are both legitimate issues, he said. "And we must deal with them both, but we should not link [them]. World health should not be the subject of barter."

Countries set a 2-month time clock
            Indonesia's coordinating minister Aburizal Bakrie suggested that the United States and Indonesia spend the next 2 months working on a solution to the impasse, Leavitt reported. He said he instructed his representative Bill Steiger and ambassador John Lange, the State Department's special representative for avian and pandemic influenza, to continue discussions with Indonesia.

Leavitt warned that, despite the new negotiations, the situation might never be resolved.

"If we haven't been successful in resolving the matter, I think it will be time for the world to just accept Indonesia's unwillingness to participate in the WHO influenza system and move on to other ways of making the world safer."
            -

-----

Comment

Credits to dbg . . .

NAMRU The American Spy? Had Not Reported Results Of His Research
              Minggu, 20 April 2008

Jakarta, Padek -- The People's Representative Council Circle asked the government to close all the Naval Medical Research activity (NAMRU) in Indonesia. The reason is, the co-operation contract with the United States agency of the naval research and Indonesia has been finished. Moreover, NAMRU it was suspected carried out the espionage activity apart from the health research. "Already since long before the government did not stress. Be closed, was asked to go out from Indonesia," said Vice Chairman Komisi III Soeripto to this newspaper yesterday.

According to the former member the National Intelligence Coordination Body, necessarily results of the NAMRU research were reported to the Indonesian research agency. However, uptil now NAMRU had not reported him. Moreover, said Soeripto, the Indonesian researcher who became the colleague in the agency could not be independent. Soeripto added, the NAMRU activity must be indicated in relation to various horizontal conflicts that happened in Indonesia the eastern part. The reason is, uptil now the potential for the highest conflict happened in Indonesia the eastern part. Moreover, coverage (the power reached out) the NAMRU research territory was also was in the territory.

Has BIN [National Intelligence Agency] been asked to speak? According to Soeripto, BIN never specifically reported the existence of the espionage activity that was carried out by NAMRU. "BIN did not yet report case that was strong enough the existence of the activity espionage," he said. NAMRU (Naval Medical Research Unit) was the health unit of the American navy that was in Indonesia to hold various researches concerning infectious diseases. The laboratory was located in Street Percetakan Negara, the Rawasari region, Jakarta Central. NAMRU the first time was in Indonesia during 1970 to research infectious diseases viruses in the interest of the US Navy and the Department of Defence.

The NAMRU formation agreement, was signed on January 16 1970 between the Indonesian government and the United States. In the agreement, said Soeripto, many articles that were seen not more beneficial Indonesia. Apart from the article that required all the staffs NAMRU to receive diplomatic facilities, there was articles that mentioned they must be permitted with words "should be permitted", like to enter all the Indonesian territory, except for the area was banned for reasons of the security.

In fact the matter of the work was the same as NAMRU this had become the hot boil since long ago. Around 1997, the pressure from some officials for revision emerged. Negotiations experienced the impasse to the end during 2000 the Foreign Affairs Minister at that time Alwi Shihab corresponded to the United States Embassy, ended the co-operation. However, unclear his reason, he afterwards changed. The co-operation stayed proceeding until had the new agreement.

This problem stuck again up after United States Health Minister Michael O Leavitt visited to Jakarta on Monday (14/04) beginnings of this week. "I indeed delivered to Leavitt why the health laboratory how come was supervised by the military. Later if my people asked, I will have difficulty explained," said Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari when being met Javanese Pos (group Padang Ekspres) in his house of Street Denpasar 14 Jakarta yesterday (19/04).

The question, said Siti, was answered by Leavitt in a diplomatic manner. "They said that has been normal," he said. That, said Leavitt natural and usual was done in the United States. Menkes told, how Leavitt could offer the co-operation scientifik with the United States side. "For the co-operation scientic exchange. I really support for example for the training of my official. That was good," he said. However, the NAMRU matter, his side for the time being forbade all the hospital to store the sample of the virus in the agency. "See you later was MoU and the MTA agreement (material Trade Agreement) that was clear and certain," said Siti that appeared neat with the green colour clothes.

Uptil now had the official report on the NAMRU activity in Indonesia to Menkes? Siti shook his head. "If courtesy call once," he said. In fact when to be precise NAMRU was finished the contract? Siti then asked for his staff of Endang explained. According to Endang, in fact the contract agreement has with NAMRU ended since the last eight years (2000).
              "But, the research that already once going still continued to go," he said.

At the beginning of July 2005, the NAMRU side that the first time helped the handling of the bird flu virus in Indonesia. All the researches were carried out by NAMRU. Moreover, sent sample the virus then went through NAMRU. "Wanted how again, at that time we still could not anything," interrupted Siti. In January 2007 the co-operation stopped, because of the Indonesian researcher having the capacity personally. "Now that once going was the influenza research, dengue fever, and diarrhoea," said Endang.

The explanation was responded to by Menkes. "My relations in fact nice with NAMRU. I only asked why until this did not yet have results concrete that was significant for the direct people," said Siti Fadilah. Separately, the spokesperson Foreign Affairs Department Kristiarto Suryo Legowo said the government sent the draft of the MOU (Memorandum Of Understanding) the Naval Medical Research Unit agreement 2 (NAMRU 2) to the United States. However now the USA does still not give the response to this MOU draft.

The source Javanese Pos (group Padang Ekspres) tell about, the security of NAMRU access very tight. "Only people with ID certain and already verified that could enter," he said. NAMRU facilities, said the source, also very sophisticated. "Clear, not merely the health laboratory," he said. Moreover, because of the NAMRU importance, George W Bush's president until must visit to Bogor in 2006. "Bush asked directly to SBY so that NAMRU not box-dwarf," he said.

According to the source, NAMRU facilities available in Papua more sophisticated. "They researched sample people's blood Papua, even our troops," said the source. The member the Commission 1 Djoko Susilo considered staff's diplomatic immunity NAMRU could be the government entrance to clarify mysterious him NAMRU. "We had been invited there. But, we did not want. This the country had sovereignty, if they meant well necessarily they who came to the People's Representative Council," he said.

http://www.padangekspres.co.id/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3611
              http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

espionage
                as I interpret it, NAMRU2 was closed because of suspected
                (or feared ?) espionage for the USA-navy.
                And that espionage apparantly consisted in gathering
                or examining unauthorisized H5N1-samples.
                It may well have started in spring 2006 when Andrew Jeremijenko
                was fired. I sent email to Andrew some days ago - no reply (yet)
                Although at that time Indo-H5N1 was still public.

This all is so unlogic, unpredictable. And it makes me feel
                uncomfortable about potential international conflicts
                escalating by some strange details of distrust into (nuclear) wars,
                although no one really wants it. Just failure of communication,
                misunderstanding, lack of clear formulations in treaties
                and negotiations. Or just dishonesty and breaking of treaties
                (a "reason" is always found)
                I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

> also very sophisticated. "Clear, not merely the health laboratory," he said
                  > [the spokesperson Foreign Affairs Department Kristiarto Suryo Legowo]

microfones ?
                  cameras ?
                  data-encryption, steganography ?
                  secret databases with fingerprints or genetical samples of politicians ?
                  examining possible targets (airports) for an attack to ensure
                  quarantine/embargo in a pandemic ?

they also mention "the East of the country"

Sat, 04/19/2008 - 12:24 PM
                  Indonesia arrested three Timor Leste citizens Friday morning for their alleged role in the
                  murder attempt of Timor Leste President Jose Ramos-Horta

Leavitt said on 17.April:
                  > I have little doubt that our work at the naval laboratory will continue

(no mention of the NAMRU2-closure in the online-Jakarta-Post yet)

Comment

what do other ASEAN countries say ? Do they support
                    their member Indonesia in this "virus-theft" affaire ?

Looks as if they waited until Leavitt left. Maybe they had been hoping
                    for some new Leavitt-ideas to resolve the issue and then were
                    disappointed

Comment

I still don't know, whether NAMRU2 was closed or banned
                      or just forbidden to take blood samples/throat swabs from
                      H5N1-suspects or such.

According to their old treaty from the 70s they should be allowed to
                      take those blood samples and now Indo wants to change that
                      (?)

Comment

U.S. says Indonesia stalling in talks on U.S. lab
                        By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
                        Talks between Indonesia and the United States over the future of a U.S. naval medical lab have become entangled in an international dispute over how to share crucial bird flu samples, U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt said on Monday.
                        He said Indonesian health officials are refusing to share samples of H5N1 avian influenza virus with the rest of the world.

Meanwhile, negotiations over the future of the lab were also being held up.

"There is very little question that our lack of progress of getting that laboratory MOU (memorandum of understanding) renewed is connected to this," Leavitt told reporters.

Indonesian officials have said they only want to ensure equal access to any vaccine that are made against bird flu but Leavitt said they were also seeking payments.

The lab, the U.S. Naval Medical Research Unit No. 2 or NAMRU-2 for short, was central to Indonesia's early efforts to track H5N1. It was one of the few labs globally capable of the genetic analysis needed to identify H5N1 at the beginning of the epidemic, which started in 2003.

The agreement between the United States and Indonesia allowing NAMRU-2 to operate in Jakarta expired two years ago and has not been renewed.

"If there is anyone in the world who is advantaged by having the best scientific minds in the world, having access to this, it's Indonesia," Leavitt said.

Bird flu is still mostly affecting poultry across Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Europe. It only occasionally jumps to humans and has killed 240 out of the 381 infected since 2003, the World Health Organization says.

Indonesia has been especially affected by human H5N1 infections, with 132 reported cases and 107 deaths.

Experts fear the virus will mutate enough to pass easily from one human being to another. If it did, it could cause a pandemic that could kill tens of millions of people globally.

NEEDED SURVEILLANCE
                        WHO said surveillance is key and asks affected countries to share samples of the virus regularly. These shared samples can also be used to make experimental vaccines.

But Indonesia fears pharmaceutical company may use samples of Indonesian virus to make a highly profitable vaccine that might not even be available to Indonesians.

Bayu Krisnamurthi, head of a national commission dealing with avian flu, said in March that Indonesia would only send virus samples on a case-by-case basis until a new virus-sharing mechanism currently being drawn up by the WHO took effect.

Talks hosted by WHO last November in Geneva failed to reach an agreement on a new virus-sharing system.

Leavitt, just back in Washington from a trip to Indonesia, Singapore and Vietnam, said he met with Indonesian health minister Siti Fadillah Supari but they failed to agree.

"Minister Supari recently issued orders to prohibit Indonesian institutions from providing tissue samples to NAMRU-2," Leavitt wrote in his blog.
                        "Her action is obviously linked to her global initiative to seek specific benefits for sharing samples."
                        Leavitt foresaw little immediate progress.

"The minister's main point is that what she wants should not be considered 'royalties' or 'compensation'," Leavitt said. "What she says she wants is for the contributing countries to be eligible for some share of the value commercial companies create out of the influenza samples they provide."

(Editing by Will Dunham and Alan Elsner)
                        -

------

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
                          what do other ASEAN countries say ? Do they support
                          their member Indonesia in this "virus-theft" affaire ?

Looks as if they waited until Leavitt left. Maybe they had been hoping
                          for some new Leavitt-ideas to resolve the issue and then were
                          disappointed
                          China wants Namru to hang around

Snowy

Comment

It seems now that Indonesia will have to live with the Faith of her Health Minsitry in less than 60 days.

The Divine Will do not excluded the best interventions humans can make. Nature has tought us to CARE and DO SOMeTHING, Hukam even in the Koran state it so.

Maybe it is time for some influent Iman to make an unbiquitous statement that monitering of unfolding infectious diseases needs a Jihad to stop it in its beginning, it is a Divine Responsaility as stated in the Koran.

Snowy

“I do not quote from the scriptures;
                            I simply see what I see.”
                            Kabir quote

Comment

Perhaps one of the head Egyptian Imam's might make a blanket statement regarding this issue. Considering Egypt's situation and their work with Cairo NAMRU they might be willing to take a stand.

Isn't Cairo one of the major Islamic academic centers?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

[So in their agenda of their simulation (http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2...a-for-the.html... they would have to have the samples approved by a "WHO Lab". Guess they would send them to Hong Kong, if they kick NAMRU out. WHO isn't going to raise the alert, until the specimens are approved by one of their labs]

Pull out Izin [permission/consent/approval] Penelitian [studying/analyzing] Al America

Around 50 people who were bundled into the Forum for the Motherland Defence Counsel (Forpeta) asked the government to pull out Penelitian Unit permission the health of the United States Navy (Naval Medical Research Unit -- NAMRU) operated again in Indonesia.

NAMRU it was worried about only benefitted the US interests.
                                "We asked for the government to stress did not give permission again to NAMRU because his presence did not give the benefit to the Indonesian people.
                                Everything had rumours of this weapon to develop biological weapons," said the Azril Effendi action co-ordinator, in front of the main gate of the People's Representative Council Building, Street Gatot Subroto, Jakarta, on Monday (21-4).

According to Azril, Departement of the Health must dare to cancel agreements with NAMRU if being felt does not give the benefit for Indonesia and the people generally.

The member the Commission of I People's Representative Council Effendi Choiri that was through in front of the People's Representative Council Building supported the demand of the demonstrators.
                                If being gotten by strong proof the NAMRU existence only for the US interests, according to Effendi, NAMRU must retreat from Indonesia.

The government, according to Effendi, also must unload the intelligence body to detect further the NAMRU activity in Indonesia.
                                "Kalau [if/when/on the condition that] quite true his existence did not benefit everything sowed discord, I supported the stopping of the agreement.
                                The government must unload his intelligence body to know this matter," said Effendi.

In his action, the demonstrators brought several banners that be inscribed, "Reject Permission NAMRU", "Agreement Cancelled", "Department of Health Clear", et cetera.
                                This action will be continued to the Department of Health Office in Street H.R. Rauna Said.

Coordinating Minister Bidang Politik, Hukum, and the Security (Polhukam) Widodo A.S. in the working meeting of the Co-ordinator the Polhukam Field of the Ministry's rank with the Commission of I People's Representative Council in Jakarta, on Monday (21-4), said the Indonesian Government currently holds investigation towards the extension plan of the work agreement to be the same as the research laboratory belonging to the United States Navy (NAMRU-2).

"Currently was done by technical discussions of level discussions how will be followed up, was extended or not," said he.

Responded to the NAMRU existence, he hoped all the sides could think clear and objective because although the NAMRU existence has made a contribution positive for the Department of the Health (the Department of Health) RI.

However, added Widodo, must have deep consideration to extend the work was the same as NAMRU related the national Indonesian interests, like the problem of the security et cetera.

Because, the technical team that was chaired Foreign Affairs Department RI studied to discuss matters of the principle in the extension of the work was the same as NAMRU.

In the meantime, Komisi I People's Representative Council Theo L. Sambuaga Chairman said his side asked the government to evaluate the work was the same as NAMRU. "If the NAMRU existence did not give the significant benefit for Indonesia in fact tended damaging, better the co-operation was stopped," said he.

The RI agreement with NAMRU the last time was extended in January 2006 with the period one year.

Uptil now the NAMRU presence really helped in the periodic monitoring and the control of infectious diseases through to the research in the level of molecular biology.

The focus of his research concerning the tropical disease spread, in part concerning dengue fever, malaria, the HIV, cholera, the fever tifoid, hepatitis, and the bird flu virus.

Together with spread him the case of bird flu in the Motherland, the NAMRU side also was involved in the inspection of the patient's specimen that was expected infected the illness virus.

NAMRU also became one of the Health laboratories of the World of Body reconciliation (WHO) in Asia, apart from the WHO laboratory in Hong Kong and Central Diseases Control (CDC).

The member the Pertahanan Commission and foreign the People's Representative Council, Yuddy Chrisnandi, asked for the government supervised tight the NAMRU achievement 2.
                                His cause for more than 30 NAMRU years 2 in Indonesia, there were no transparency of their achievement.

Comment

Working...
                                X