Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Australia sees unusual summer Influenza B spike

SOUTH AUSTRALIA'S CHRISTMAS SEASON FLU SPIKE

The number of reported flu cases is soaring in South Australia, almost ten-fold the number reported last summer.

A total of 117 cases have been reported since the start of December, compared to around a dozen at the same time last year.

Angela Marshall has spent the past two weeks in bed sick, and said she could have never guessed it was the flu at this time of year.

?This is the first day I?ve been out because of this nasty cough,? Ms Marshall said.

?I didn?t have a flu injection this year, which made it worse.?

General practitioner Rod Pearce said doctors can also be at risk of thinking the flu symptoms might not be the flu, just because it is summer.
    Most of the recent cases have been Influenza B, and more than 30 per cent of those have been children.
    The number of reported flu cases is soaring in South Australia, almost ten-fold the number reported last summer.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: South Australia sees unusual summer Influenza B spike

Communicable Disease Control Branch
    Weekly Epidemiological Summary
    2nd December to 8th December 2012
    Influenza
    There were 84 cases of influenza virus infection reported this week, compared to 117 cases reported in the previous week. Of these cases, 72 were attributed to influenza B virus and 12 were typed as influenza A strain. There have been 6,087 influenza cases year-to-date compared to 4,763 cases reported for the same period last year.

Cases comprised of 39 males and 45 females. Of these, 36% were children <10 years of age and 7% were reported in persons aged 65 years or older. Since the beginning of 2012, 26% of notified influenza cases were reported in children <10 years of age.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SA Inf.png
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	660071

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X