Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesia resumes sharing bird flu samples

Indonesia resumes sharing bird flu samples

NUSA DUA (Indonesia) - A UN official and Indonesian minister said on Tuesday that Indonesia had resumed sending samples of the bird flu virus infecting humans to the World Health Organisation.

Indonesia said last month that it had stopped sending samples until it was guaranteed access to affordable medicines to treat victims of the deadly virus, though it then shared one to prove it had not mutated.

Scientists carefully monitor the samples to check for mutations that could allow the H5N1 virus to spread easily among humans, leading to a global pandemic with the potential to kill millions.

'Indonesia is now sharing viral materials... There are two cases that I know have or will be made available to the WHO,' said David Nabbaro, the UN system coordinator for avian and human influenza.

He told reporters on the margins of a two-day meeting between the Indonesian government and its partners in fighting avian influenza that sharing viral materials was vital for public health.

'But countries got very uncomfortable about sharing data and samples when there was no certainty that what they are sharing would be used to their benefit,' he said.

Indonesia's welfare minister Aburizal Bakrie confirmed that Indonesia was now sharing the virus material, with two samples recently sent on.

The meeting is being held on the resort island of Bali, where two fatalities from bird flu were reported last month, raising fears of an impact on the vital tourism industry there.

'I would like to take this opportunity to say again that Bali is safe and we prove that today by having this international meeting here in Nusa Dua,' Mr Bakrie told the meeting according to a copy of his speech.

Another 83 people have died in other parts of Indonesia since the first human infection case was discovered in mid-2005, the highest toll in the world.

'When it comes to highly pathogenic avian influenza caused by the H5N1 virus, Indonesia is the country that is facing the biggest challenge,' Mr Nabbaro said. -- AFP

Re: Indonesia resumes sharing bird flu samples

Is this recycled news?

Comment

Originally posted by Commonground View Post
      Is this recycled news?
      Thats pretty funny.

Looks like they are referring to Bali samples.

Comment

Wow. Could it be true? ... this time?
        ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I cannot help but wonder if all of those attending the bf meeting in Bali might have been responsible for the generosity.
          Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
          Thank you,
          Shannon Bennett

Comment

Wonders never cease.

Comment

I'll believe it when Niman starts discussing recent Indonesian samples here at FluTrackers.
              http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

is that only for the two samples from Bali ?

will WHO keep the sequences secret ?

will we see the Indo-sequences from May ?
                I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
                  is that only for the two samples from Bali ?

will WHO keep the sequences secret ?

will we see the Indo-sequences from May ?
                  The latest samples are at the CDC. They determine if they will release the data. This is not a WHO issue. WHO provides the private database, but does not control the release. The CDC's record on release of Qinghai sequences is far from stellar.

Comment

CDC will give the sequences to Indonesia and they can decide
                    whether and when to upload them to genbank. (or not ?)
                    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
                      CDC will give the sequences to Indonesia and they can decide
                      whether and when to upload them to genbank. (or not ?)
                      No, as happened previous (and virtually always), the lab generating the sequences controls the sequences. When the human Indonesian sequences became to hot to hide, CDC gave Los Alamos permission to remove the password on CDC sequences and Hong Kong gave permission for Los Alamos to remove the password on the sequences generated by Hong Kong.

Subsequently, the CDC submitted the sequences to Genbank.

This is VERY basic and has been this way forever.

The Indonesian press releases are unusual. When the samples are shipped, the control and handling of sequences is lost.

Those that generate the sequences own the sequences.

This is the reality, and it has been this way since sequences have been generated (for EVERYTHING).

Sequencers are not generating sequences under contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X